Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cyclone/Hurricane/Typhoon Season 2017 Pt. 2

Tropical Storm Debbie

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 28 Mar 2017, 07:44:29

TS Debbie just hit Austalia. Some guys who are familiar or living at the site are reporting on the following link.

This is to a thread at Cruisers Forum.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/ ... 82185.html
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Tropical Storm Debbie

Unread postby sparky » Tue 28 Mar 2017, 08:26:59

No sweat we get a cyclone or two a year , Debbie look like being one in a decade
the most (in)famous was Tracy of Christmas day 1974 it totally wiped out the city of Darwin , except for the jail and a pub
emergency services got going before any report because all the communications went down , it had to be bad , it was !
the shocked residents emerged from the rubble and got drunk to cope , this is Northern Australia after all .

Debbie struck Queensland north were there is no sign of intelligent life anyway.
the last big one struck more to the south , devastating the bananas plantation
Since there is a severe quarantine ban on importing them , we had to do without or purchase them at extortionist prices
sparky
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 02:31:20

This one has wiped out the tomato and capsicum industry for a few months.
First crop starts in Bowen and then moves south down the coast to match weather conditions so the supermarkets are always full
A few billion dollars of damage to buildings and infrastructure most new building are cyclone rated but this was monster.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/photoga ... v7vn4.html

They interviewed a guy in town on the news live
he says
"Debbie gave the whole town a blow job"

Im a few hours south we got lots of rain and the occasional gusts of strong wind as the tail whipped around.
We should get lots of rain tomorrow to, as whats left moves over us (its just a big storm now)
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 03:00:34

Sparky, your directions are upside down. The last big one was Yazi, epicenter crossed at Cardwell, between Townsville & Innisfail- several hundred km north of Debbie, which crossed at Proserpine. Both are very significant agriculture areas- Yazi hit mostly bananas & avocados, Debbie hit mostly ground fruits- capsicum, cucumber etc- much easier to get going again than the former crops.

The interesting bit with this one is Proserpine is the farm hinterland town just inland from one of the most important tourist regions- Whitsunday Islands/ Airley Beach.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 04:28:22

Withsundays and Airlie is one of the most stunning places.
I was close to setting up there but a business sale fell through.
Steep rainforest covered hills, coming down to light blue oceans, covered in yachts with islands on the horizon.
Bowen is a very pretty place too, used in the film Australia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455824/
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 04:53:37

The whole Northern coast & ranges are pretty awesome. I lived up there about 10 years in total, (correct spelling)- Airlie Beach is too touristy for my liking, very controlled compared to the far north. The first place going up the coast you find pristine country, old growth rainforest & healthy reefs is Cedar Bay, about 80 km south of Cooktown, way north of the tourist towns of Cairns & Airlie, a full day travel by car & several hours walk from the nearest road.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 07:26:50

I havent been as far as Cooktown yet
I have gone as far as a 2WD can go north of Cairns took a few punts over the rivers and drove up to the last river that I couldnt cross.
It was beautiful
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 08:00:53

This sounds like an awesome corner of the planet, awesome today and awesome as a refuge of intact biodiversity out of which disturbed human landscspes can be colonized as the human footprint one day recedes. there are still many places on our planet earth serving as refugee habitat. Humans destructive forces are also finite!
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 29 Mar 2017, 16:17:06

Shaved Monkey wrote:I havent been as far as Cooktown yet
I have gone as far as a 2WD can go north of Cairns took a few punts over the rivers and drove up to the last river that I couldnt cross.
It was beautiful

The road to Cooktown via Mareeba inland is sealed since almost 10 years ago, from there 2wd will get you as far south as the Bloomfield river. There is a property about 20 km north of there called Auravale which is a permaculture orchard built by the Croft brothers on an old WW2 airfield. They welcome guests at very cheap rent or WWOOF & they have a track to walk to Cedar Bay. I lived there 6 months, parked my 2wd at the river crossing on their driveway & walked the last 2km in. I grew up driving on crazy bush tracks so I'm confident in that sort of country- it's only impassable by 2wd during wet days of the wet season- December to March.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Thu 30 Mar 2017, 00:14:50

I drove up to Mosman which at the time was the end of the tar , pretty good country ,
as soon as you crossover the mountains it quickly get to the scrub ,
the good things about Cyclones is that they are the only weather pattern strong enough to get the rains inland over the range , that's the rainbow serpent time
eventually the waters will flow to lake Eyre in four months time or so
sparky
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 30 Mar 2017, 07:42:45

Its all blown over for me at about noon
A few big branches down and a bit of flooding but all is well.
You cant stop sideways rain and massive winds driving water in under doors and windows
The whole town has underground power so no problems there
We are flooded in for a few days but Ive a got a fully stocked larder so no probs

Another adventure is over till next year
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 30 Mar 2017, 18:22:34

This bull shark was washed up on a road
Good reminder to not enter flood waters.
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 31 Mar 2017, 06:55:19

Shaved Monkey wrote:Image
This bull shark was washed up on a road
Good reminder to not enter flood waters.

A few of these coming out of flooding storm sewers in Miami Beach might help those Florida legislators who deny rising sea levels and climate change :)
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 31 Mar 2017, 08:16:12

Bull sharks kill about as many people as great whites in Australia, the bulls are mostly deadly in dirty water, canals in the dry, dirty rivers in the wet, whites in the open ocean. Both together kill less people than crocodiles though. There's always a major element of stupid with croc deaths, wheras whites grab surfers & abalone divers in a kind of reverse lotto. Bull sharks go way up estuaries, especially in the mullet run at tail end of the wet- about now, always a big surprise to find big sharks in small waterways.

Two people died today associated with the cyclone, one a middle aged woman who drove into a flooded crossing 1400 km south of the impact point, another guy a bit older had a heart attack & they aren't sure if he could have survived if not cut off by floodwaters. Amazing really, a mega storm hit a populated area, destroying billions in property & crops, no more death & injury to people happened than in a normal week, probably less, due to people being off the road.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Fri 31 Mar 2017, 18:30:01

some of the damages could be avoided if the houses were better build ,
watching the footage on the TV news it was pretty clear that most of the awnings and roofs blown were pretty shoddy
what's wrong with people , North Queensland is Cycloneland
I saw people in the Florida keys get ready for one , they had the moves down pat
sparky
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 31 Mar 2017, 20:15:09

Its hot and you need shade and its pretty hard not to build an awning that doesnt act like an aeroplane when its windy.
I take down my shade sails over the car and veranda when they say a cyclones coming.
Looking at the new places in Airlie on the hill they really only lost gutters and down pipes that got vibrated off
Some lost decorative "Tuscan" roof tiles.
My windows are like car windscreens and the tin roof has 10 times more screws in it than a house down south and its bolted down to the foundations.
We still vibrated a real lot a few years back, when we copped 150+ KMH, but virtually nothing this time at about 100 KMH
My ex next door neighbours other house was right in the middle of last years storm and survived 200 plus
He made a mattress and couch fort in the middle of his lounge room and waited there with his family

The big problem is other peoples stuff flying into your house and the flooding.
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 31 Mar 2017, 21:57:37

In Pictures in pictures.
Last edited by Tanada on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 09:17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL format fixed
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 01 Apr 2017, 02:17:30

Since the big upgrade here months back I can't post links successfully, with or without the url bracket sets it don't work. Meanwhile just copy paste.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 01 Apr 2017, 09:21:44

SeaGypsy wrote:Since the big upgrade here months back I can't post links successfully, with or without the url bracket sets it don't work. Meanwhile just copy paste.

Any address that starts with 'mobile' needs to have 'http://' added to the front of the string for the system to recognize it as a URL. Use the quote function to look at your earlier message and see how it needs to be formatted to work.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 01 Apr 2017, 18:45:35

Cool thanks Tanada
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate