Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Trump Climate Policy

Trump Climate Policy

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 06:13:46

There's been an...odd...and eerie silence coming from the general direction of Planty wrt Trump's clear intention to do worse than nothing about GW/CC.

So I thought I'd take up the slack.

But in the meantime, one does have to wonder--why the mismatch between his constant blather about how wretched O was on CC and the total silence on Trump's disastrous appointments, attitudes and plans.

I would really like to think that P is not so utterly partizan (or racist, or whatever his O hate was based on) that he was just using CC as a handy club to beat a whipping boy, or to think that P doesn't actually give a damn about CC one way or the other and just sees it as an opportunity to score points against whatever politician he likes for whatever reason.

But it's getting hard not to come to these conclusions...

So, anyway, here it goes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/alt ... ce7aac26fe

It’s Official: Donald Trump’s First 100 Days Will Be Horrible For The Planet
“He’s writing his legacy in his first few weeks: ‘The president who thought climate change was a hoax.’”

Others can add their own favorite headlines and speculations about where T is taking us (and about how to explain the eerie silence of some of our fellow posters :) ).
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Trump = Climate Terrorist

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 06:36:27

Further:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... a594a0d4be

Trump wants to dump the Paris climate deal, but 71 percent of Americans support it, survey finds

"...Democrats see it as a much higher priority for foreign policy, but that doesn’t mean that Republicans … don’t think some action should be taken,” Smeltz said. “An increasing percentage of Republicans now say that some gradual action should be taken” to address climate change concerns.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 06:40:42

dohboi wrote:Further:

Trump wants to dump the Paris climate deal, but 71 percent of Americans support it, survey finds

"...Democrats see it as a much higher priority for foreign policy, but that doesn’t mean that Republicans … don’t think some action should be taken,” Smeltz said. “An increasing percentage of Republicans now say that some gradual action should be taken” to address climate change concerns.

I would bet that more then 71 percent of Americans can't accurately describe a single provision of the Paris accord.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 06:45:12

As it says in the article, the survey included a very brief description.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 06:50:31

dohboi wrote:As it says in the article, the survey included a very brief description.

That would be a push poll then and of little real use. The answers would derive from how the agreement was described.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby GHung » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 09:46:59

As I've been saying ever since the election, the right has been given a mandate to do all sorts of mischief. As a centrist independent, I get very nervous when either end of our political spectrum gets full control that can cancel out checks and balances. We now have a bazaar "republican" President, full Republican control of Congress, and, too soon for comfort, a right-slanted Supreme Court. Further, we now have a Republican majority of State Governors and State Houses. Jeez,, they could even have a Constitutional Convention and change the foundational laws of the land:

Rewrite the Constitution? Here's how a convention could do it

Washington (CNN)The increasing dominance of Republicans inside statehouses across the nation has spurred talk that a constitutional convention -- the very meeting that crafted the US Constitution -- could be more than just a Hail Mary thrown to conservatives.
Conservative groups and Republican lawmakers have been planning for the possibility for years, although it picked up steam three years ago after a group of state lawmakers met at George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, just outside Washington.

The requirement that 34 state legislatures approve of any convention has long seemed too high a hurdle. But a series of surprise wins for Republicans in statehouses across the country on Election Night -- including taking control of both legislative chambers in 32 states -- has put the possibility within reach....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/22/politics/ ... index.html

Republicans have a pretty long wish list that includes much more than curtailing climate and environmental regulations. I doubt they will squander this opportunity to "fix" the EPA, immigration, womens' rights, minority issues, gun laws, separation of church and state, free speech, tax law, States' rights.... I could go on, but I'm getting a headache......
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 09:57:18

Why the Trump Administration is not Idiocracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZOZjHjT5E
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 11:05:25

Trump is a person and a "brand" that are fused into one entitiy
and brand protection is an extremely high priority for him.
I fear he may be in an endless loop and preoccupied by it
while those under him run their own game plans to a large
extent. In the case of climate change it is shaping up to be
going long on a 1990's plausible denial political
strategy in a time of currently manifesting reality.
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 11:16:49

I think Efarmer has it about right.

OTOH....there may be a paradoxical benefit to the environment from a Trump presidency. Perhaps I'm hoping against hope but I see two possible positive outcomes.

1- While the left was in charge they talked the talk but walked the bug oil walk. I've held for a long time that the Ds are worse for the climate than the Rs because they put forward a message that they are concerned and taking action when they are not. The public is lulled into a sense of false security. I see the Ds as big oils Trojan horse.

With Trump the enemy is out in the open forming ranks. Oh the targeting possibilities. They have provided the left with a poignent enemy to rally round. Perhaps (I doubt it) the left will use this opportunity to form a cohesive movement, if not out of concern for our children and love of nature, but for the hatred of Trump.

2- Trump so disrupts the international financial system as to put it into a death spiral, creating a deep, deep depression that slams production and consumption. It's a dark outlook, but in the longrun what future prediction does not entail massive death?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 14:51:20

Newfie wrote:I think Efarmer has it about right.

OTOH....there may be a paradoxical benefit to the environment from a Trump presidency. Perhaps I'm hoping against hope but I see two possible positive outcomes.

1- While the left was in charge they talked the talk but walked the bug oil walk. I've held for a long time that the Ds are worse for the climate than the Rs because they put forward a message that they are concerned and taking action when they are not. The public is lulled into a sense of false security. I see the Ds as big oils Trojan horse.

With Trump the enemy is out in the open forming ranks. Oh the targeting possibilities. They have provided the left with a poignent enemy to rally round. Perhaps (I doubt it) the left will use this opportunity to form a cohesive movement, if not out of concern for our children and love of nature, but for the hatred of Trump.

2- Trump so disrupts the international financial system as to put it into a death spiral, creating a deep, deep depression that slams production and consumption. It's a dark outlook, but in the longrun what future prediction does not entail massive death?

3. Climate change hits both parties right across the forhead with a 2X4 and they join together for effective change.

Hey I can hope right??? Actually, I think #2 is the most likely outcome.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 15:31:56

careinke wrote:
Newfie wrote:I think Efarmer has it about right.

3. Climate change hits both parties right across the forhead with a 2X4 and they join together for effective change.

Hey I can hope right??? Actually, I think #2 is the most likely outcome.

#2, with or without Trump, though I doubt that'll do much for the climate for a while, as people start cutting down trees and burning whatever else they can find before hurling nukes at each other.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 16:40:01

http://www.ecowatch.com/trumps-cabinet- ... elMouse_fb

Trump’s Cabinet Picks Have One Thing in Common: Climate Denial
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 17:04:05

dohboi wrote:There's been an...odd...and eerie silence coming from the general direction of Planty wrt Trump's clear intention to do worse than nothing about GW/CC.

So I thought I'd take up the slack.

If Obama had done something meaningful you'd have something to complain about.

If the libs in Washington State had passed prop 732 a couple weeks back, libs would have something to complain about.

As it is, it's just the usual democrat sour grapes now that the GOP won.

Would I prefer a far greener president? Sure! However, Bernie lost and the establishment does very little aside from mouth platitudes, so you "taking up the slack" is pretty meaningless.

Feel free to get back to us when the Democrats actually strongly support and vote for a large US nationwide carbon tax. And don't hold your breath.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 17:06:42

dohboi wrote:Further:

Given how meaningless and empty the Paris Accords are, you don't have a more meaningful way to spend your time?

The Paris Accords are a way to give doing basically nothing for decades political cover to those in power. While they do little to nothing, they can say "I backed the Paris Accords".

Big deal.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 17:17:14

Newfie wrote:While the left was in charge they talked the talk but walked the big oil walk. I've held for a long time that the Ds are worse for the climate than the Rs because the [Ds] put forward a message that they are concerned and taking action when they are not. The public is lulled into a sense of false security. I see the Ds as big oils Trojan horse.

+1

Yup.

Newfie and Onlooker are 100% right.

Look how it turned out with Obama ---lotsa talk but not much action on AGW, other then destroying the 10 year long effort to craft a binding UN climate treaty to force reductions in global CO2 emissions and replacing it with a sham agreement that actually mandates MORE CO2 emissions and MORE global warming. :lol:

Personally, I don't believe a thing that Obama or Trump says-----on AGW or anything.

cheers!

Dohboi---you must be the only person on earth who takes seriously all the wacky stuff that Trump says about global warming. Obama probably knew better but choose to lie about AGW. IMHO Trump doesn't even know better----he probably actually believes the wacky things he says about AGW :lol:
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Observerbrb » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 17:40:26

Sorry to rain on your parade:

President-elect Donald J. Trump said on Tuesday that he would “keep an open mind” about whether to pull the United States out of a landmark multinational agreement on climate change.

During his presidential campaign, Mr. Trump repeatedly said he would withdraw from the Paris climate accord. But on Tuesday, he said, “I’m looking at it very closely. I have an open mind to it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/us/po ... visit.html
Observerbrb
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 17:46:56

Observerbrb wrote:President-elect Donald J. Trump said on Tuesday that he would “keep an open mind” about whether to pull the United States out of a landmark multinational agreement on climate change.

During his presidential campaign, Mr. Trump repeatedly said he would withdraw from the Paris climate accord. But on Tuesday, he said, “I’m looking at it very closely. I have an open mind to it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/us/po ... visit.html

+1. GREAT POST.

Exactly as I was saying.

Why are Dohboy and others so hysterical about the wacky stuff Trump said in the campaign?

The campaign is over now.

Do we believe what Trump said in the campaign or what he says now to the NY Times.

Here's an idea----lets see what actually happens when Trump takes office----and THEN you can get hysterical.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 17:58:09

I guess some here were hoping for Killary to start WWIII and reduce human "overpopulation" to save humanity.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 19:01:50

dissident wrote:I guess some here were hoping for Killary to start WWIII and reduce human "overpopulation" to save humanity.

That was about the only aspect of her that offered some positive outcome. :shock:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 20:57:46

Newfie wrote:
dissident wrote:I guess some here were hoping for Killary to start WWIII and reduce human "overpopulation" to save humanity.

That was about the only aspect of her that offered some positive outcome. :shock:

I haven't even drawn by first social security check. Lets consider something a little less radical shall we? :cry:
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate