Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Vegans vs Omnivores

Cut Meat & Dairy by 1/2 = Slash Farm Emissions

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 26 Apr 2014, 11:35:56

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/cutt ... ions-17354

Halving Meat, Dairy Intake Would Slash Farm Emissions

Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture would be cut by 25-40 percent if Europeans cut their meat and dairy consumption by half, according to a U.N. report.

AND there would be big health improvements!

Get on board, little chillun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUXmpQUtQj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT_NBPURYc
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Cut Meat & Dairy by 1/2 = Slash Farm Emissions

Unread postby Strummer » Sat 26 Apr 2014, 12:09:30

So let me get this straight: there's a huge global industrial complex, producing unimaginable amounts of consumer crap that nobody needs and nobody wants, millions of cars, billions of plastic toys and electronics that are obsolete after a year. But of course, that needs to go on as it is, and I'm supposed to cut emissions instead by worsening my diet? F*** OFF!!!
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Paulo1 » Sat 26 Apr 2014, 12:43:22

Let the market and personal choice decide what we eat.

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 26 Apr 2014, 13:08:49

Pure vegan propaganda. Humans are designed for an omnivore diet, it is written in our genes and hence our teeth and digestive systems. We are designed for a high fat mixed diet with greens and seasonal fruits to keep things moving along.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 26 Apr 2014, 15:56:19

I've been eating less of everything in general and like pstarr much less flour and sugars. I have a lot more energy now. Lost about 15 lbs but now my weight is stable and I feel great. I like meat/fish but not a huge amount. Everything in moderation I guess.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 00:05:05

Wow, some pretty touchy people here.

So the world is on the cusp of utter disaster, and no one will even consider a slight alteration of their diet that may help avert the worst?

Charming fellows we have here on this site. Such an honor to be in your company.

Please note, they are not talking about an all vegetarian diet. And of course pasta and bread can be replaced by other things than meat. And of course, venison and grass raised beef is going to be enormously better for the planet (and for you) than CAFO beef. And chicken and pork are considerably less harmful wrt gw than industrial beef.

So please, take a chill. It's just one study.

And maybe add a tiny smidgen of f'n self-reflection and perspective before your knee jerks you off of your f'n feet next time.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 07:00:50

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:. . . with greens and seasonal fruits to keep things moving along.
I am not even sure of that anymore. I have mostly replaced all flour products and sugary fruit with additional meat. I eat the same amount of veggies, always has been a lot. But now without the pasta and bread I am way way better in the bowl. Per se. LOL

Me too
Im eating heaps more meat a lot less flour,no rice , virtually no sugar and very little fruit.(mainly berries and only what I seasonally grow)
It fells better
Also getting into the kudzu ,replacing pasta, noodles and rice with it.
Im evolving into the ultimate kudzu ape
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 07:26:03

dohboi wrote:Wow, some pretty touchy people here.

So the world is on the cusp of utter disaster, and no one will even consider a slight alteration of their diet that may help avert the worst?

Charming fellows we have here on this site. Such an honor to be in your company.

Please note, they are not talking about an all vegetarian diet. And of course pasta and bread can be replaced by other things than meat. And of course, venison and grass raised beef is going to be enormously better for the planet (and for you) than CAFO beef. And chicken and pork are considerably less harmful wrt gw than industrial beef.

So please, take a chill. It's just one study.

And maybe add a tiny smidgen of f'n self-reflection and perspective before your knee jerks you off of your f'n feet next time.

Meanwhile over here in farm country we know that non farm human activities produce far more methane than livestock operations. All it takes is a less than 100% combustion efficiency on one of those thousand natural gas flares in Africa or North Dakota to swamp the emissions from a feedlot, but nothing can interrupt our precious oil extraction, our fossil fuel wasting is not negotiable! Those flares actually burn about 85% efficient so thousands of cubic feet of methane are dumped into the air by every one of them every day for years at a time. Not to mention that coal mines ventilate out the gas seeps in the formations straight into the air to prevent explosive levels from accumulating. When the strip mine a thousand acres at a time where do you think all those trapped gasses go as the explosives break up the seam and the giant excavators scoop it into trucks?

This reminds me of a few years ago when someone wanted to ban Nascar as a huge fuel waste while ignoring the reality that commuters in one American city used more fuel in a day than Nascar uses for a whole season, and Nascar burns Ethanol instead of Gasoline to make certain advocates happy.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 07:36:14

Beef production per capita is falling but human production is still rising, so cut out the sex too.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 09:06:51

SM wrote: "Also getting into the kudzu ,replacing pasta, noodles and rice with it.
Im evolving into the ultimate kudzu ape" LOL. Do share some of your recipes!

Subj, yes, all of us should always focus on things other people are doing rather than our own contributions. I'm sure that will be a great strategy for solving all problems.

Pops, I get the feeling from the recent conversation here that most of the posters here would gnash their teeth and tear their flesh much more agonizingly about the prospect of having even an ounce of steak taken away from their drooling mouths than at the prospect of never having unprotected heterosexual sex again. :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:41:15

dohboi wrote:
I get the feeling from the recent conversation here that most of the posters here would gnash their teeth and tear their flesh much more agonizingly about the prospect of having even an ounce of steak taken away from their drooling mouths than at the prospect of never having unprotected heterosexual sex again. :-D

Exactly!

And wouldn't it be interesting if we as armchair quarterbacks find out a thousand years from now that more meat and less pregnancy was indeed the right path? That the quest for more ultimately leads to less, but more or less wasn't the point anyway, just the centralized power it entails? That most of us aren't grown up enough to make even a small percentage of correct decisions on a continuing basis? That there are no correct decisions, just a need to maintain diversity and avoid mono everything?

These seem to me to be biological responses to a system out of equilibrium. How it got out of equilibrium I don't know - MIHOP? LIHOP? Supposed To Happen On Purpose (STHOP ;-) )? I'm still working on that one. But as the path upwards seems to have been filled with hope, the path down will surely appear empty with despair. Hungry sick people freezing in the night and all that stuff.

You want change, but you don't know what it looks like.
When it creeps up and bites your ass, you act startled then self righteous.
It's all natural, all of it, even the stuff that seems artificial; we are part of nature.
Pay attention, it's happening quickly and is even surprising open-minded people.

This is what change looks like; deal with it in your own fashion.
I chose to deal with most of it on my own, because every time "we" get together "we" seem to make it worse, with an abundance of excuses and a lack of resources. For example, I've never met an individual from a INSERT ANY RACIAL POLITICAL OR RELIGIOUS GROUP NAME HERE INCLUDING ONES I BELONG TO I didn't like, that I couldn't see good in; but as a group they can all go to hell. Especially baby makers, as they use their innocent children as an as excuse for their indecision and poor use of resources. I acknowledge this is most of us.

What's next - Massa tellin' me how much barbeque I can eat per sitting, ya know, for the kids?
Time to barbeque the Massa at that point!

This is capitalism - if it's not supposed to be happening, how the heck does it turn a profit? If it's not turning a profit, it stops.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 21:05:15

thecountries that survive will be those that ration resources , including food, so that every one has enough to survive
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 21:14:09

Thanks kc, nice to see that there is someone else with a few brain cells to rub together and generate a thought.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 27 Apr 2014, 21:50:13

dohboi wrote:SM wrote: "Also getting into the kudzu ,replacing pasta, noodles and rice with it.
Im evolving into the ultimate kudzu ape" LOL. Do share some of your recipes!

Subj, yes, all of us should always focus on things other people are doing rather than our own contributions. I'm sure that will be a great strategy for solving all problems.

I have Kudzu growing wild on my block but the stuff I eat I have bought as pre-prepared noodles and rice.
They are like rice noodles in texture and are sliced into rice shapes or flat or thin noodles.
I just make Pho or Fried Rice or Pad Thai or Spag Bol using it.

Heres how to make it from scratch from the root ( i havent harvested any root yet.)
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/bbs/r ... te=8561835
and heres a whole lot of other stuff you can do with the useful weed (including wine) sounds pretty good.
http://www.eattheweeds.com/kudzu-puerar ... a-fried-2/

Its revered in Japan where they use the plant and yet considered a weed in the US where they dont.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 28 Apr 2014, 04:00:14

Thanks, sm. That's awesome. I had heard that it is a delicacy in Japan, but I hadn't ever seen the actual recipes or seen it on a menu. I expect that it is a tricky thing to just go foraging for, since, though ubiquitous in many locations, it is likely to be sprayed in most of those places with various nasty herbicides to try to control it. I always did think that the best control for it would be to make it a favorite dish. I have also heard of people making paper and other things from the plant.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Pops » Mon 28 Apr 2014, 07:20:40

Shaved Monkey wrote:Im evolving into the ultimate kudzu ape
. . . Its revered in Japan where they use the plant and yet considered a weed in the US where they dont.

This is funny.
An organism is considered invasive if it has no natural predator to keep it in check.
Turns out we're kudzu's natural check,
we are the overshoot predator!

"Imagine a world . . .
where the only organisms left to do mortal battle are kudzu and . . .
Kudzu Ape!"

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate