Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Book: "Collapse: How Societies Succeed ..." by Jared Diamond

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Unread postby Cynus » Fri 31 Dec 2004, 11:07:08

I'm currently reading "Collapse" by Jared M. Diamond . It a study of how unsustaibale societies eventually collapse or change to adapt to their environment. It's lessons for our current situation are plenty. I'm sure everyone here will find it's lessons enlightening.
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jack » Fri 31 Dec 2004, 18:09:32

I noticed it being discussed a few days ago...Amazon should have my copy delivered in about a week!

It sounds like a most useful book.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Fri 31 Dec 2004, 18:14:45

God I'm up to my eyes in things I should read and so much of it is soooo dry. Would you be willing to paraphrase, give us the high points or even a review of sorts?
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Itch » Fri 31 Dec 2004, 21:08:29

Jared Diamond is the fucking man. I'm about half way through with "Guns, Germs, and Steel" and, although I start daydreaming from time to time, I must say that it is quite insightful, like most of his writings.

I'd like to join in inconnu's suggestion and humbly ask for any interesting observations you have noticed.
Itch
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby skiwi » Fri 31 Dec 2004, 22:25:27

Edited transcript of a speech he gave recently at Princeton University

Why Societies Collapse
skiwi
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cynus » Sat 01 Jan 2005, 15:04:23

THere's another thread in this forum posting an article he wrote today in the New York Times that pretty much summarizes the book. The analogy between the deforestation that killed of many previous civilizations and our depletion of oil seems very obvious--and will ikely have identical consequences. I wish he made the comparision more explicit.
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby some_guy282 » Tue 04 Jan 2005, 22:34:42

Here's an audio interview with Jared Diamond, who has just authored a book titled Collapse: How Societies Succeed or Fail. It's very interesting. He starts off by talking about Easter Island.... OnPoint Radio

The interview starts 8 minutes into the broadcast.
some_guy282
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Wed 05 Jan 2005, 11:51:16

Yes, he was in the NY Times recently too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/01/opini ... amond.html
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby khebab » Wed 05 Jan 2005, 12:13:27

There is also a good review in the last issue of Scientific American:

Scientific American

This book offers a different point of view on the Rwanda genocide and the American state of Montana!
khebab
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Jared Diamond: "Collapse" on The Diane Rehm Show

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 18:33:50

BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 21:53:50

Jared points out that the Bushies anti-family-planning subjugates the third world by keeping them overpopulated and therefor in poverty. This is only mentioned very briefly in the interview.

Clearly the side-effects of world overpopulation are fundemental.
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ararboin » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 22:49:21

I thought that the solutions he offered weren't very promising. He didn't venture into the realm of criticizing the first worlders for their lifestyles, chosing instead to encourage such personal actions as giving to various causes, such as Ducks Unlimited....?

Like so many people who "get it," perhaps he just feels that Joe Public couldn't grasp the enormity of the situation anyway, so why rattle his cage?

And, maybe authors, when they are on these talk shows, are too aware that what they say might be detremental to book sales.
ararboin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ozkrenske » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 08:44:23

First up good interview, facts wise and even some of the Q&A was quite good. He did point out Oil scarcity etc, but indeed he gave some fairly pithy answers to the 'what is your solution' question. Of course that would probably be a full 1 hour+ episode and would be suggesting things that will not be accepted on either a concious or subconcious level by most americans. Germans were held up by him as a sort of solution but if you actually tried to get Americans to live as germans do then it won't happen. About 1/3rd of the populace has no personal vehicle, consumption is not quite the same driving factor so less is bought etc. Of course even the Germans need to halve their energy consumption and generate a lot more green energy to survive into the future, and good for them, they are trying to do both. Americans though really won't get it until a real shock occurs.

My main problem with the interview was the presenter, Good God, was she employed to put people into a Coma or is she one of these Radio/TV people who have been around for 50 years and will need to be carried out in a box. The Woman was actually succeeding in helping my insomnia. I have heard Jarrod several times before and actually went to a lecture of his, here in OZ, he has a fairly sedate presentation style but certainly seemed more dynamic in person (especially in Q&A), maybe he was also being effected.
ozkrenske
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 09:38:51

ozkrenske wrote:My main problem with the interview was the presenter, Good God, was she employed to put people into a Coma or is she one of these Radio/TV people who have been around for 50 years and will need to be carried out in a box. The Woman was actually succeeding in helping my insomnia. I have heard Jarrod several times before and actually went to a lecture of his, here in OZ, he has a fairly sedate presentation style but certainly seemed more dynamic in person (especially in Q&A), maybe he was also being effected.

You can't please everybody. I happen to enjoy listening to Dianne's show. I have a thing for listening to older and therefor wiser people.
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ozkrenske » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 12:21:27

Sorry for the complaint, It just really got to me. Blame my addiction to high speed, high tempo, rock and roll if you must ;) .
ozkrenske
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Yavicleus » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 12:36:40

BabyPeanut wrote:
ozkrenske wrote:My main problem with the interview was the presenter, Good God, was she employed to put people into a Coma or is she one of these Radio/TV people who have been around for 50 years and will need to be carried out in a box. The Woman was actually succeeding in helping my insomnia. I have heard Jarrod several times before and actually went to a lecture of his, here in OZ, he has a fairly sedate presentation style but certainly seemed more dynamic in person (especially in Q&A), maybe he was also being effected.

You can't please everybody. I happen to enjoy listening to Dianne's show. I have a thing for listening to older and therefor wiser people.

I can't stand the sound of Dianne Rheme's voice. It's like somebody distilled the essence of whiney liberal into a bottle and then injected it into this woman's vocal chords. The main reason I don't donate to public radio is that I hope they fire her due to lack of funding.
Yavicleus
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 12:37:55

She suffers from a condition which affects her vocal cords, which makes her voice slow and spastic.
Ludi

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 16:48:35

Yavicleus wrote:I can't stand the sound of Dianne Rheme's voice. It's like somebody distilled the essence of whiney liberal into a bottle and then injected it into this woman's vocal chords. The main reason I don't donate to public radio is that I hope they fire her due to lack of funding.

The reason I don't give them any money is that when Riyadh got car bombed they didn't make a peep but two days later Baghdad got car bombed they were all of the story. They are clearly puppets.
Go search their site for "Riyadh" and see the most recent story is
Middle East: Saudi Royal Family Divided over Political Reform
07-20-04, Morning Edition
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ernest » Mon 17 Jan 2005, 12:49:47

Blaming George Bush for third world overpopulation is a bit over the top. Nobody is forcing people to have babies. Nobody can. Lack of economic and poltical development, and education, are the forces that encourage overpopulation, not the political decisions of one white man.
ernest
Peat
Peat

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Mon 17 Jan 2005, 16:59:13

ernest wrote:Blaming George Bush for third world overpopulation is a bit over the top. Nobody is forcing people to have babies. Nobody can. Lack of economic and poltical development, and education, are the forces that encourage overpopulation, not the political decisions of one white man.

It's not about forcing people to not have babies. Sexual desire does that perfectly. It's about not funding the medical technologies that would prevent babies despite sex.
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews