Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mr. Robot

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Mr. Robot

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 07:12:53

Just making this post with regard go this show which is now going to begin its second season. I have watched and find it very intriguing. Especially, as it mirrors some real life events and trends. In general hacking has become a big issue and certain hacks have garnered much media attention. The Sony hack and the Ashley Madison hack coming to mind. Of course, in the background we have a virtual cold war going on as the Powers seem to be busy fortifying and progressing in sophisticated computer schemes and protocols to both attack and defend against online attacks. Another question, is can individuals or groups be skilled and dedicated enough to bring down critical systems that are networked? The virtual world is thus a realm that can be used for subversive activity, spying etc. by large countries and rebellious groups ie. Anonymous. It also is a domain with criminal elements that can target anyone by robbing identify, stealing info, etc. So what do others think of some of the matters relevant to hacking and in general the online world we now live in?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Mr. Robot

Unread postby claman » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 18:13:54

Onlooker said: "The virtual world is thus a realm that can be used for subversive activity, spying etc."
And pretty soon you will have sold your soul to the virtual Devil.
Oh no onlooker - go the opposite direction and try to find reality where ever, and at any cost, you can find it.
Nature should be allowed to kill us all if we don’t fit into our local eco-system.
claman
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 20:47:18

I saw the first season really liked it,Im sure they have hackers on the writing team.
Its a scary world we live in
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Tue 28 Jun 2016, 01:44:22

I just started watching it on Prime. I like it.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Kylon » Sat 02 Jul 2016, 23:01:19

most likely in the future the internet will be very different in structure. Instead of simply peer to peer, it will be all the computers in one county, city linked on a network, and then they go through a central server, then state checkpoint, then national checkpoint.

If someone hacks in any detectable way and is caught, they can't just hide behind no extradition treaty land, their ISP or related ISPs will be cut off. This means that proxy servers would get messed up too.

Think of it like having a walled city, and a guard, if your caught doing anything bad in that city, or carrying a weapon in, your kicked out, for good.

This will also allow them to cut off communications to prevent escalations during a riot. With internet control, future outbreaks of violence won't reach social media nearly as quickly, which may prevent some degree of contagion, and allow them to put out a riot or protest before it really gets started.

I see the internet headed in that direction.

I also think that in the future government computers and government agencies (and industries related to the government with high security clearance and all that) will have malware built into their defenses. Or in laymans terms, boobytraps. So some Russian hacker comes looking to steal valuable data, and gets some malware that frys his motherboard and hard-drive.

Kind of an offensive-defense that's active 24/7.

However, I don't think civilians will be allowed to have this kind of defense (in case the NSA or FBI needs to investigate your computer for some reason). I think it will be illegal with probably serious jail time to have offensive-defensive software if your anybody but a government official, military, or security contractor in the future. It will kind of be like having high level weapons that civilians have no business having.

However, most people will still be able to get decent internet security, and effectively hide behind the defenses of the various government computer checkpoints, and those checkpoints will probably be well defended.

Plus, with less anonymity on the internet, criminals will be caught more often, tracked more easily, and deterred from causing as many problems.
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Return to Book/Media Reviews