Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Netflix Instant Recomendations

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Netflix Instant Recomendations

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 02:22:39

pstarr wrote:Six, it's like the stupid zombie tv show whatever it is called. For the first x seasons the men were all clean shaven and the women in full hotty makeup and pushup bras. Have they dirtied their fingernails yet?

I mean really!

Yep, I was reminded of that, Walking Dead. I TRIED to watch that show at one point just because it's so popular. It has it's moments.. but again.. it is a melodrama. Days of our lives, as the world turns, tv soap opera melodrama. I cannot stand it. It makes my head want to explode. Maybe I'm too old for this stuff. Maybe I'm supposed to be watching it for the zombies, and then the melodrama is for the chicks, I don't know, but I can't stand that show.

I don't really know, I'm very hard to please and there's very little on regular tv that I can actually sit and watch so I may just be a snob or something.

Okay I'll let it drop, it was not a horrible movie since I actually did watch it all ( :lol: ) but let's drop it.

How about something GOOD to watch on Netflix instant? Anyone have suggestions? Doesn't have to be about doom, I personally don't care.

Here's some things I liked, that are on netflix instant:

1) Snowpiercer:

It's about climate change or something, and the whole world froze over, and a billionaire built a survival train and so everyone on the train are the last people on earth. It harkens back a bit to the silent film classic Metropolis, in Snowpiercer the elites live in the front cars and the steerage folks are in the back.

It's a weird, quirky, sci fi kind of movie and I liked it.

2) House of Cards (US version), I'm guessing you've all seen that. And, all seasons of Mad Men. Also, the Borgias (US version).

3) There's 2 seasons of a show I'd never heard of before, called "Maron." Funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Ok, anyone else have some suggestions, other than netflix by mail, that you can que up instantly? Just anything good to watch, topic doesn't matter.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Netflix Instant Recomendations

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 15:08:03

Haven't watched anything but the first episode but I've seen good reviews and it seems like the type of show this crowd might like - the show is Black Mirror
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 16:28:51

dinopello wrote:Haven't watched anything but the first episode but I've seen good reviews and it seems like the type of show this crowd might like - the show is Black Mirror

Thanks, Netflix keeps popping that one up to me but I haven't tried it yet, I'll have a look.

I bet the people on this forum that have netflix are similar in some kind of way, netflix probably pops the same things up to us. :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 16:48:47

pstarr wrote:Six, since I developed a peak-oil/energy awareness I can't help but watch this stuff with a fecking skeptical attitude. :-x It's ruins my fun. For instance, I ask myself "Where do the handsome stars of "Walking Dead" get the razor blades and makeup?" and "how do they get gasoline from the pump?" Why is the stuff still good after six months? People are always buzzing around the universe on free energy. Unobtainium my butt. :-x

I considered SnowPrancer. I like the grubby look of the poster. Tilder Swinton looks positively steampunk :lol: Straight out of Terry Gilliam. But how about my fecking skeptical attitude: how do they keep the train running? One must assume it is Unobtainium?

About something like Snowpiercer -- I thought for sure that was going to be a horrible movie. The premise is ludicrous. "Climate change survivors living on a train that just keeps circling the earth, and they're the last ones on the planet."

But it turned out good though. This isn't realistic sci fi, it's fantasy and if you don't expect a Dali painting to make logical sense then you can't necessarily expect that from any other kind of art either. "Doom" can just be a metaphor or backdrop, like how Star Trek the original series was never serious science fiction that made logical sense. It was wagon train to the stars, dealing with social issues with a "sci fi" backdrop so it could get past network censors.

Snowpiercer reminds me of "Metropolis," that's a cinema art classic and amazing they made that so long ago -- is Metropolis logical? No. Neither is something like Gulliver's Travels, etc., or the steampunk genre.

Metropolis is on nextflix instant by the way. I've actually been watching that for the first time, just to finally see it.

The New Tower of Babel, Fredersen's headquarters in Metropolis.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 17:10:47

pstarr wrote:Tech question: whenever I add a film to my list, Netflix offers me a list of recommendations. So how can I get a similar list of recommendations for previous films I liked in the past?

Not sure what you're asking, but when you first join netflix they show you lists of movies and if you've seen them before you rate them with stars and then that starts the algorithm off, getting to know what you like.

You can just go ahead and look up moves you've seen before and then rate them, 1 to 5 stars, and that will further help the algorithm.

As far as I can deduce, any activity you do on netflix goes into the algorithm. So, even if you just start to watch a movie, whether you finished it all or quit somewhere in between, then the algorithm considers all that and you'll start to see things pop up that say "based upon your interest in ____."

The algorithm will get to know you better and adapt more, over time, based upon what you do. It helps if you rate the movies after seeing them, with stars.

Here's a little trick I've done from the start, that I don't think anyone else does:

You can actually make 5 member accounts, which is supposed to be for different members of the household. But what I did was I made four separate accounts (still all the same included price) that are all for me, but with differing interest sets.

So, I've got a "foreign films" netflix, and then I've got a "documentaries" netflix, and then my regular one, etc.

So now when I sit down at the TV I browse all of those, and I get different recommendations on all 4. My system is a bit ruined in that the accounts all branched off from just "foreign films" or "documentaries" but it's still helpful because I'm getting suggestions that I wouldn't have seen on my regular account.

The doomer movies, for example, are popping up on my "foreign films" account. And that comedy show I liked so much actually popped up from my "documentaries" account.

(so, what one could do is make an account and JUST watch doomer movies on it / climate change stuff / whatever the narrow interest is. If you stick to that system and don't veer off to other things then you'll always have a list that's focusing on that interest area.

Maybe this isn't a good system, because really the algorithm needs to know your total interest areas, but for netflix on tv I like this because I'm getting 4 times the suggestions on the tv. I started this when I did the dvd by mail and it was an orginizational thing, just foreign films on one que, just documentaries on another, etc.

P.S. I use a tivo by the way, and it's outrageous they charge me every month for that but I do save on a cable box so it's a bit of a wash. I love the tivo though, just the menus, I've got netflix on there and youtube too. There's actually so many good things just on youtube, if you start watching a documentary or lecture on a particular topic then youtube just keeps playing one thing after another similar to that. It's like a tv channel. :lol: )
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 17:43:28

pstarr wrote:
dinopello wrote:Haven't watched anything but the first episode but I've seen good reviews and it seems like the type of show this crowd might like - the show is Black Mirror
Looks like "Twilight Zone" Is it creepy? I don't like to be scared much.

Peak Oil isn't scary ? Or, are you being sarcastic ? :wink:

Anyway, the first episode was shot as though it was creepy but I thought it was more silly so that's why I haven't watched more yet. But the genre seemed interesting and then I read some good reviews so I'll probably pick it up again.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 18:15:59

Sixstrings wrote:
pstarr wrote:Tech question: whenever I add a film to my list, Netflix offers me a list of recommendations. So how can I get a similar list of recommendations for previous films I liked in the past?

Not sure what you're asking, but when you first join netflix they show you lists of movies and if you've seen them before you rate them with stars and then that starts the algorithm off, getting to know what you like.

You can just go ahead and look up moves you've seen before and then rate them, 1 to 5 stars, and that will further help the algorithm.

As far as I can deduce, any activity you do on netflix goes into the algorithm. So, even if you just start to watch a movie, whether you finished it all or quit somewhere in between, then the algorithm considers all that and you'll start to see things pop up that say "based upon your interest in ____."

Commercial spam for Netflix. Reported.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 00:47:36

Withnail wrote:Commercial spam for Netflix. Reported.

EDIT: rephrase.

Do you have something on topic to say in this thread? What movies do you like? A lot of people on this forum happen to have netflix on their tv, I don't guess you're in the US so okay it doesn't have to be netflix available, but are there any movies or documentaries you like that you think others may be interested in?

Secondly,

For goodness sake,

I have like 10,000 posts on here over 7 years and you are the first person to ever keep doing this "I'm reporting you" thing to me, you are literally the only person I have ever had a problem with, Withnail. :|

And while I'm at this, I have a question, when someone hits that report button is it going to the site owner or is it reviewed by one of the mods?

It really would not be fair to get banned on here -- after seven darn years -- just because a newer member has it in his head that I'm paid to spam for: the CIA, netflix, Occupy Wall Street, the GOP when I'm in a Republican mood and relapsing to that, NASA and space stuff, the 5,000 posts I have on working class issues and economics, and plus I've got a peak oil thing I put up here now and then.

And I've asked you this before Withnail, what is your real complaint with me, and if I recall you said I've got too much of an ego -- it's the INTERNET, people talk this way on the internet, I'm about the most reasonable and understanding person there is, on the INTERNET.

Someone has to liven things up, and stir things up, and get discussions going, you know? If you just want me to post less and shorter things then okay but someone has to do content or there is not a forum -- so that means more from you, is that not fair, that you find some kind of topic to write a few paragraphs on sometimes.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby radon1 » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:12:17

Nonsense. Good nice thread. The focus is on the drawbacks of the service as far as Netflix is concerned (have to maintain five accounts to fully enjoy the service), so it does not look like any commercial interest appears to be involved. I am not using Netflix, but how can you discuss a monopolistic service without naming it? - "google it", "watch youtube" etc; is Netflix any different. And no Russia bashing. And movie recommendations to be picked up.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 13:07:07

Actually a better topic might be "Streaming Recommendations". Netflix is pretty common but I also have Amazon Prime and FIOS also has free and pay streaming and there's Hulu, Youtube and probably lots of others.

Been hoping that Logan's Run comes to Netflix or Amazon Prime so I could watch it again free. Well, free because I already pay for the monthly access.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 15:07:53

I'll stick with my Kolchak: The night Stalker reruns. The golden years of television.....
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 15:29:46

I am enjoying FRIENDS, been years since I watched an episode but Netflix put it up this month and it is stirring up some fun memories of the 1990's.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 18:21:00

radon1 wrote:Nonsense. Good nice thread. The focus is on the drawbacks of the service as far as Netflix is concerned (have to maintain five accounts to fully enjoy the service), so it does not look like any commercial interest appears to be involved.

I guess you're defending me, keep this up and I'll feel too guilty to ever rant about Russia too harshly. See? This could work on the foreign policy global stage too -- elect a president that would be NICE to us and say some nice things and take our side about something now and then, and it completely diffuses us and we melt.

That would help with all of Russia's neighbors, for that matter. Just mend some bridges, do something good for a Lithuania and maybe they'd look at you kind of funny at first and not know what to make of it, but eventually they'd come around to you.

The five accounts thing is just a geek OCD thing I do, it's just a tip not a flaw of the service -- if someone wants a big list of doomer movies, then make a subaccount and just watch doomer movies on that one and that's what the algorithm will think you like and it should give you a strong list of doomer stuff that you otherwise may not get populated on a general main account list.

I am not using Netflix, but how can you discuss a monopolistic service without naming it? - "google it", "watch youtube" etc; is Netflix any different. And no Russia bashing. And movie recommendations to be picked up.

Lmao, leave it to Radon to be the one to give me credit for not talking about Russia for once. Okay, you are being so nice, I just deleted my last Russia rant.

About netflix -- it's not so monopolistic over here anymore, it has a lot of competition from amazon and hulu and whatever. And they've done some major boneheaded moves that pissed off their customers and they lost a lot of people over that. Ideally, I'd prefer they were a monopoly because I just want to pay ONE company and they have all the movies, but now it's going more of a premium channel direction like old cable tv and how you had to have HBO, Showtime, and all of them if you wanted all the good stuff.

P.S. I like foreign films. Generally I'm watching French, some German, Israeli (they make some good movies), I watch some Chinese films, and some things out of South America. I don't care where it's from, if it's a indie type drama that's well made.

I've never seen a Russian movie. Are there any Russian movies like that, like something that may be shown at Cannes or Sundance over here, indie type stuff. :?: So that's on topic to the thread, is there any good Russian movie that may be on netflix.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 19:02:33

basil_hayden wrote:I'll stick with my Kolchak: The night Stalker reruns. The golden years of television.....

Hm, I have never heard of that before, but there's some Kolchak stuff on youtube:

Kolchak The Night Stalker Movie 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0isH8D5Lcs
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 19:13:47

basil_hayden wrote:I'll stick with my Kolchak: The night Stalker reruns. The golden years of television.....

Hm, I have never heard of that before, but there's some Kolchak stuff on youtube:

Kolchak The Night Stalker Movie 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0isH8D5Lcs

dinopello wrote:Actually a better topic might be "Streaming Recommendations". Netflix is pretty common but I also have Amazon Prime and FIOS also has free and pay streaming and there's Hulu, Youtube and probably lots of others.

Been hoping that Logan's Run comes to Netflix or Amazon Prime so I could watch it again free. Well, free because I already pay for the monthly access.

It doesn't matter, let's just make it a good movie thread and then you can say where you got it from and nobody will yell at anyone for endorsing a company.

Personally, I prefer the old netflix monopoly -- I do not want to pay 14.95 to 3 different people, that's $45 or whatever instead of $15, but I guess that's life. :|

So I'm never going to sign up for all these others, but I'm starting to wonder if amazon prime has more selection now or are they getting things that you can't get on netflix? That's going to be a real pain, if these guys compete for exclusivity with the studios. That's right back to old HBO and Showtime again. Something like a netflix was nice because it *just had everything*.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MD » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 20:21:37

Sixstrings wrote:
Withnail wrote:Commercial spam for Netflix. Reported.

EDIT: rephrase.

All the staff can view reports.
I might have to warn withnail for making spurious reports and thus wasting our time. :P
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews