Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

World War Z

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

World War Z

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 09:59:58

Just watched it. Up there with 28 days for me. On edge from beginning to end. If you like apocalyptic movies, don't miss it!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: World War Z

Unread postby rollin » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:37:34

Is this war a side effect of TV and internet?
Haven't seen the movie, never will. Just another fictional Black Swan event. Never could see the draw that zombies have for the general public, maybe they relate to them.

Do zombies drive cars or use fossil fuels? Maybe this is a solution to the predicaments. So we have to undermine the war against them once it starts. Zombies don't procreate do they?
ROFL

I think roll out sticky traps would be the most effective. Just drop them in the path of the oncoming hordes and they will walk right onto them. The more they struggle the more they stick. Keeps the adhesive industry going too.

Once they are in your house (wooden floors), just shoot one foot with a nail gun and they will walk in circles until they run out of energy. Could be great entertainment for the whole family.

How about zombies captured and put on tread mills or enclosed hamster type wheels. They keep walking and can generate power, there goes the energy problem. Or hook them up to a drilling site, they walk in circles powering the drill. Probably a way to use them to power transportation too.

Well, enough zombie fun.
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rollin » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 15:11:29

I love the old sci-fi movies and some of the new ones too. Although I take them as a lark and entertainment, I am surprised at how much social commentary and social prediction went on in the early sci-fi movies. A lot of the warnings we hear today from scientists were in the movies of the 1950's and some earlier.

Although the zombie movies may be an off the cuff social commentary, I hope they are not social predictors.

One more zombie joke:
"Dammit Jeb" said Jeb's wife as she looked out the window "looks like the zombies walked right through the vegetable garden again!" Jeb responded "Hmmm, rabbits, groundhogs ... kids ... Nothing about that here in my Transistion manual. Going to be a tough winter if this keeps up."
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby sparky » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 16:37:20

Best Zombies movie ...."Shaun of the dead"
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 17:14:59

I plan on watching World War Z as soon as I can find a copy locally. I love zombie stuff.

I recently rewatched 28 Days Later for the umpteenth time, one of my all time favorites. Not sure which is better, 28 Days, Zombieland, or Shaun of the Dead.

Pstarr, never seen you so wrong. The Walking Dead rocks.

I'll admit I have fairly low standards when it comes to post-apocalyptic shows, though. Jeremiah and Jericho were terrible by almost any standard, but I love them both. :)
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Loki » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 17:21:25

pstarr wrote:Quinny, like '28 days' it was a Fast Zombie movie. Have there been other Fast Zombie movies? Like maybe a Romero?

28 Weeks Later, Zombieland, and I Am Legend, come to mind. There's a vast body of zombie movies out there I haven't seen, though.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 18:29:12

After enjoying World War Z so much, me and my other half continued the chilling out day with 28 days later and 28 weeks later. Bit zombied out now, so we've switched to Downton Abbey. Feel a bit decadent having done very little work today, suppose it is Saturday :roll:
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 19:21:16

pstarr wrote:Damn Loki you have low standards, mired in the muck :razz:

You don't know the half of it. You should see some of my ex-girlfriends :wink:

In addition to watching all of The Walking Dead, I don't know, 4 or 5 times at this point (and Jericho more than that), I've seen season 1 and 2 of Falling Skies twice. Sucked pretty bad the first time, so I figured I'd give it another chance. It grew on me, despite its awfulness. If it's post-apocalyptic, I'll watch it.

Re. the current popularity of zombie apocalypse fiction, there's actually quite a body of academic lit on it. Summary here: Locating Zombies in the Sociology of Popular Culture.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 19:53:41

I've never been a big Zombie fan but some are pretty good. I prefer stuff like Book of Eli, and classics like A Boy and his Dog. Which 'Zombies' movie was on the island, the one where the woman is trying to baricade the door with a dresser and the zombie busts his hand through the door and grabs her by the hair? Close-up of him pulling her eyeball slowly into a giant splinter from the door. Squirt! That was pretty cool.
I Am Legend had its moments, but what kind of idiot hunts deer by chasing them down with a Mustang? Anyway, I picked up WWZ on Bluray today. Review later...
Last edited by GHung on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 20:00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 20:08:53

I wonder if much of the interest in such movies stems from a "better them then me" feelings: "My life may seem crappy but t least I'm not eating rats and waiting for some freak to eat my brain". Or maybe it's a bit of transference: "Dang...I sure wish I could kill those folks competing for resources". Me, I just watch them for the hot chicks. And, of course, the gun play...that's just a Texas thing.
Last edited by ROCKMAN on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 20:10:46, edited 1 time in total.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 20:09:53

@pstarr - Yeah, she goes to the doctors house (because he's the smartest guy on the island, of course), and finds him on the floor of the living room with a couple of Zees munching on his intestines like spaghetti :-0 One looks up like; "you wanna get down on this?"
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sat 08 Feb 2014, 21:26:46

ROCKMAN wrote:I wonder if much of the interest in such movies stems from a "better them then me" feelings: "My life may seem crappy but t least I'm not eating rats and waiting for some freak to eat my brain". Or maybe it's a bit of transference: "Dang...I sure wish I could kill those folks competing for resources". Me, I just watch them for the hot chicks. And, of course, the gun play...that's just a Texas thing.

I can assure you a love of hot chicks and guns is not just a Texas thing :wink:

Zombies can be seen as a "barometer of cultural anxiety," according to the sociologists who study this very important topic. Apparently there's a lot of "cultural anxiety" going around right now.

As one "zombie scholar" put it, "now people really seem to find catharsis in this survivalist narrative. Would I be able to survive a civilization-ending catastrophe?"
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Sun 09 Feb 2014, 00:31:41

Zombies are a metaphor, an excuse even, for how we treat each other and our fellow earthlings. We 'create' zombies so we won't look so bad by comparison.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews