Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Too Smart for Our Own Good -- Craig Dilworth

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Too Smart for Our Own Good -- Craig Dilworth

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 26 Aug 2013, 18:14:39

I picked up this book about 9 months ago and finally started reading it as it is a daunting bit of book in it's encyclopedic summary of man's ecological predicament. I don't expect to finish it for quite some time as it appears to read like a wine cellar can be drunk -- one sip, one bottle, one chapter at a time, and let it rest a bit. It's quite good, even though it starts out incredibly pedantic and textbook like.

His main POV is summarized by his Vicious Circle Principle, which I've nicknamed as the 'Can't have one's cake and eat it, too, principle'. Makes me long to also read 'Overshoot' by Catton, which I never got around to even opening. However, all the new data that Dilworth presents is thoroughly fascinating in it's own right, which dissolves away the pedantry easily enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Smart-our-Goo ... B004EHZY4W

The paperback edition is quite well made if the hardcover edition is financially out of reach of many.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Too Smart for Our Own Good -- Craig Dilworth

Unread postby rollin » Fri 30 Aug 2013, 16:50:36

I much prefer Patrick F. McManus's "Sequential Vortex" rule. If you want to go fishing but have projects to do, the project will snowball and other things will get added until there is no time to go fishing. So you go fishing instead, forget the project.
If humanity had followed that rule, we would not be in the fix we are in today.
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby joewp » Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:47:45

Jed, read Overshoot ASAP. It really opens your mind to a new paradigm.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 31 Dec 2013, 13:48:12

joewp wrote:Jed, read Overshoot ASAP. It really opens your mind to a new paradigm.

You mean "Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change by William R. Catton (Jun 1, 1982)"

Yes, that is the best summary, but Dilworth gives one the drawn-out ecological analysis so that you know that no stone was left unturned. Basically, mankind has been eating/destroying species/habitat from the beginning and some things never change. [Edit. I guess we're an 'invasive species'.]
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Tue 31 Dec 2013, 17:42:41

jedrider wrote:[I guess we're an 'invasive species'.]

We can be any part of an ecosystem. For millennium we were members of climax communities, but our current dominate culture seems to have been modeled after yeast.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews