Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Daylight Savings Time scam

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The Daylight Savings Time scam

Unread postby Leanan » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 11:13:57

Michael Downing, author of Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Savings Time, was on CNN this morning. He argues that DST is not and has never been about energy conservation. It does not save any energy, studies have repeatedly shown. It may do the opposite.

So why do it, with all the disruption it causes? To encourage consumption. Like factory farmers who leave the lights on 24/7 to encourage their chickens to eat more, retailers want people to consume more. You're more likely to stop and shop if it's daylight when you get out of work.

According to Downing, two of the lobbies that most strongly pushed DST are the candy industry and the golf industry. Candy makers say they sell millions of dollars more candy because of DST, because kids will be on the streets longer on Halloween. The golf industry sells $400 million more in golf clubs, tees, greens fees, etc., due to DST.

And now they're moving DST up even earlier, which is not only causing problems with computers and other electronics, it's going to be a headache because we'll be out of synch with the rest of the world for a few weeks.

All to sell more candy and golf clubs...
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Re: The Daylight Savings Time scam

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 11:56:02

I tend to agree, more daylight = more activity rather than beginning the days rest with the darkness. Its human biorythms. I also believe this had nothing to do with saving energy, it just doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Had not thought about the candy thing! Brilliant!
AirlinePilot

Unread postby aahala » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 12:22:33

Leanan wrote:Candy makers say they sell millions of dollars more candy because of DST, because kids will be on the streets longer on Halloween.

This must be a statement about the future. At least for the
last 15 years, the change back to standard time was the last
Sunday in October, and the change was early morning -- 2AM?

Halloween is October 31, so a couple of those changes did
occur on Halloween, but what kids start at 2AM?.
aahala
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 12:33:28

I know that there was some sort of movement to keep DST past Halloween. Something about parents feeling better about their kids trick or treating when it's light out (rather than dark). I'm not sure how much of an issue this is any longer since it seems like Trick or Treating is becoming less and less popular. There are a lot fewer kids doing it now than there were back when I was a kid!

I wish they'd just leave the time as DST all year round. I'd rather have it lighter later in the day and stay that way.
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Leanan » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 12:45:29

I wish they'd just leave the time as DST all year round. I'd rather have it lighter later in the day and stay that way.

Me, too. But parents complain that they don't want their children waiting for the school bus in the dark.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby WildRose » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 16:07:09

I've read that people are actually crankier for a few weeks following the switch to DST. Teachers notice a difference in their students. Personally, I could do without DST. Up north here, in the summer months, darkness comes so late in the evening that it's hard to settle down for sleep. Working night shifts in the summer in a high-rise building is weird, but also pretty, as I experience our sunsets, short nighttime and sunrises from my desk.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby amorando » Fri 09 Mar 2007, 19:18:37

The origin of Daylight saving is an agrarian society that the US had in past generations. It's purpose was to give farm children more light to go to school. The purpose had nothing to do with energy. Energy was not a concern at the time the laws were enacted.
The puiposes of daylight savings time do not apply anymore and it should be dropped. We are no longer an agrarian society.
amorando
Wood
Wood

Unread postby zoidberg » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 14:49:37

Having being born in Saskatchewan, land of no DST I will heartily agree to the abolition of DST. I'll never really get used to it.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shakespear1 » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 15:02:50

Very interesting information. I always thought it was about energy but the points raised here make equal sense :-) Thanks
Men argue, nature acts !
Voltaire

"...In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation."

Alan Greenspan
shakespear1
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newsseeker » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 17:45:12

I saw someone being interviewed on the news this morning that said it was about consumption and that people drive to the malls more if there is daylight.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Starvid » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 18:12:56

DST is absolutely vital around here as we get so few hours of light in the winter. Not being active during the brief light leads to clinical depression.

Uppsala is as far north as Anchorage. In the far north of Sweden there are two weeks of polar night. Yes, that's right, the sun doesn't rise for two weeks.

Of course, it stays up for two weeks at midsummer too.
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 22:20:40

You guys are so brainwashed. This is a clear conspiracy going to the top levels of government to prevent the 911 truth movement from having enough time in the day to spread their message.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Armageddon » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 23:14:30

smallpoxgirl wrote:You guys are so brainwashed. This is a clear conspiracy going to the top levels of government to prevent the 911 truth movement from having enough time in the day to spread their message.

Nothing can stop us. We are like a giant snowball gaining momentum going down a huge snow covered hill. Jump aboard before you get ran over, lol.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby amorando » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 23:21:58

People don't have to succumb to the government conspiracy. Read, "crossing the Rubecon" by Michael Ruppert, search on you tube for the films of the planes hitting the buildings and the arguments that the jet fuel could not have exploded those buildings, rather it had to be explosives set off at the base. I have no doubt that there was a conspiracy to commit 9-11. Otherwise why has the GW administration acted as it since, to invade Iraq on trumped up charges of supporting terrorists. People in future generations will see it clearly where most people currently cannot. They cannot for two reasons. Most people find it too revolting a development to think that people in their government could have aided the 9=11 killings. Second the dominant media has bought into the government line hook line and sinker and even after a time and a close look at the facts would not want to admit that they had bought the party line so completely without having reasonable doubt and looking at the facts. :lol:
amorando
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Armageddon » Sat 10 Mar 2007, 23:24:47

wtc 7 is all I have to say about 911 on this thread. I dont want to highjack it.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MattSavinar » Sun 11 Mar 2007, 23:25:34

smallpoxgirl wrote:You guys are so brainwashed. This is a clear conspiracy going to the top levels of government to prevent the 911 truth movement from having enough time in the day to spread their message.

You've so bought the propaganda!!! It's not the "government", it's the zionist grey aliens you sheep!
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby east2west » Mon 12 Mar 2007, 00:30:27

No DST here in China, it seams to work ok.
Have an e-business or storefront? Buy factory direct
www.east2westconnections.biz
Dont want to get the shaft on your insurance claim? www.lightningadjusters.com
east2west
Peat
Peat

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Mon 12 Mar 2007, 01:03:49

We tried it once in Hawaii and that was a freakin disaster...... I believe it was decided, No More, and that was that. As for Arizona, I think it's seen as a Statist attempt at Federal deprivation of State's Rights, just like MLK Day.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pea-jay » Mon 12 Mar 2007, 03:14:12

east2west wrote:No DST here in China, it seams to work ok.

China isnt the best example on what to do with the clock either. Isn't the entire country on ONE time zone?? That doesnt make much sense.

Personally I don't like the loss of that hour of sleep in the spring and honestly dont make much out of that extra hour in the fall. But I really appreciate is that extra sunshine in the evenings. I have little use for it in the morning but it's nice to have it when I get home from work. Granted it isnt the energy saving bonanza it is touted to be--I probably save 0.04-0.08 KW/H by turning on my CFLs an hour later. Still there is probably a better way than shifting the clocks

I know, how about just shifting every time zone one hour ahead and leaving them there.
UNplanning the future...
http://unplanning.blogspot.com
pea-jay
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rsch20 » Mon 12 Mar 2007, 19:34:14

I_Like_Plants wrote:We tried it once in Hawaii and that was a freakin disaster...... I believe it was decided, No More, and that was that. As for Arizona, I think it's seen as a Statist attempt at Federal deprivation of State's Rights, just like MLK Day.

I live in AZ, I think our rationale is more along the lines of 'we live in the fxxxng desert, why would we want more hours of sunlight?'

regardless I'm glad not to have to deal with it, though I am pretty much permanently confused at announced schedules for progamming on T.V., it's always off and because of DST is off by a different amount at different times of year, which I don't bother to keep track of.
rsch20
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews