Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil and gold looking a little bit more “normal” as 2017 draw

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Oil and gold looking a little bit more “normal” as 2017 draw

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 20 Dec 2017, 14:49:42

A few weeks ago in London, at a pre-conference dinner before the Platts Digital Commodities Summit, the conversation naturally turned to bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, and the rejection – and disdain – that many supporters of the entire crypto movement have for what are known as “fiat currencies.” Most people know fiat currencies as everything from afghanis (Afghanistan) to zlotys (Poland), with dollars, yen and euros in-between. Crypto currencies have been likened to gold: not controlled by a central government, a supply that rises only incrementally (and in the case of bitcoin, will eventually be capped), and therefore not inflationary. One of the conversation’s participants in the restaurant’s cigar bar, a backer of bitcoin, said to another person: “Look at that suit you’re wearing. I’ll bet you 200 years ago, if you had bought the equivalent suit and paid for it

Oil and gold looking a little bit more “normal” as 2017 draws to a close
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Economics & Finance