Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The age of intermittency

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The age of intermittency

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 07 Dec 2017, 23:07:08

http://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk/2017/ ... rmittency/
The growing gap between our lofty ambitions meeting up with the realities of biophysical limits
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: The age of intermittency

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 14:03:58

It will only be the age of intermittency for those who choose to live the lowdensity intermittent energy lifestyle. We are a vey long way yet from running out of energy. A minor shortfall in oil or natural gas can still easily be made up with coal, and if we go low carbon nuclear is so vastly superior to solar pv with battery packs consuming vast acerage of land to fill current needs let alone future needs as less fossile fuel becomes available on the down slope.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 17:30:51

pstarr wrote:"A minor shortfall in oil or natural gas can still easily be made up with coal"

Maybe then. Not now.

You constantly repeat this claim as if there were a mountain of evidence to support it. You have no such evidence, just a profound belief in doom.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 20:54:05

pstarr wrote:It analyzed programs to replace petroleum with liquid coal or CTL. The cost and duration of such mitigation is virtually impossible.

The Hirsch report came out prior to shale, prior to lithium EVs. It's just plain outdated.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 23:57:30

You said there wasn't time because you have some sort of accelerated time-line involved in making oil unavailable for that transition. There is no evidence of that accelerated time-line in Hirsch's 2005 predictions or in your going on about it now pstarr.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 17 Dec 2017, 00:16:25

Cog wrote:You said there wasn't time because you have some sort of accelerated time-line involved in making oil unavailable for that transition. There is no evidence of that accelerated time-line in Hirsch's 2005 predictions or in your going on about it now pstarr.

From my understanding the Hirsh report didn't opine about when PO would happen only that we needed at least a 20 to 30 period of time to make a relatively smooth transition. Otherwise we would face serious hardships and difficulties in transitioning. A special emphasis was given to the transportation sector because of its importance and because of its reliance on liquid energy in the form of oil. Hence, the importance of OIL
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 17 Dec 2017, 00:23:58

I didn’t say anything about using coal to oil technology, though that is certainly one option. For this occasion I was thinking more along the lines of the colloidal fuel the US Government developed forty five years ago to replace diesel fuel for large ships and locomotives. So long as shipping remains operational we maintain our civilization. Sure it will change in structure as we slide down the peak, but we won’t all starve or freeze in the dark.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Economics & Finance