Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The Demise of the US Dollar/Petrodollar

Unread postby Armageddon » Thu 26 Jan 2012, 22:54:58

Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Demise of the Petrodollar

Unread postby Revi » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 08:04:51

I think there is trouble coming. They just raised the debt ceiling to 16.4 trillion dollars and the price of gold and silver have been rising for the past week. I wonder if this is the beginning of an inflationary period, or just the result of the stimulus they are pumping out lately?

This all makes sense when you read this article. The price of gold will go up if it becomes the thing to trade for oil. The reason the dollar is worth so much is that everybody wants to have it to buy oil. If they can use other things the dollar is not as attractive any more. They are cutting out the middle man. We're the ones who own the gas station, but they are buying gas right out of the truck before it even gets to us.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 08:30:09

Yep a good read and a wake up/ stock up call!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 08:47:10

History shows any move like this doesnt end well
quite a good article from RT on this involving Gadafi and why he was got rid of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_6kimMf7h8
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 19:35:12

It would seem the only thing necessary to upset this apple cart is an Iranian nuke. No nuclear power has ever been invaded. China just might provide that nuke. India might provide it as well. Welcome to World War IV. The Cold War was WW III.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 19:41:17

That's correct, everyone should read this article, it spells out exactly what's really going on right now.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 21:00:17

Armageddon wrote:http://lewrockwell.com/orig13/katusa1.1.1.html

Great article.

May I suggest a slight title change Armageddon? Demise of the USD$/ Petrodollar? Might get more reads. In a 24 hour cycle here this has only had shy of 200 reads, a few of which are mine. This article deserves serious attention, meanwhile Rossi threads are getting 5 times the reads/ about a pile of junk.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

The Demise of the US Dollar/Petrodollar

Unread postby Armageddon » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 21:28:35

SeaGypsy wrote:
Armageddon wrote:http://lewrockwell.com/orig13/katusa1.1.1.html

Great article.

May I suggest a slight title change Armageddon? Demise of the USD$/ Petrodollar? Might get more reads. In a 24 hour cycle here this has only had shy of 200 reads, a few of which are mine. This article deserves serious attention, meanwhile Rossi threads are getting 5 times the reads/ about a pile of junk.

Sure, but first I will have to find the edit button.

Mods, feel free to change the title to "The Demise of the US Dollar/Petrodollar"
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 21:45:38

Here is a nicely spoken very clear explanation in layman's terms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enm0CBx5 ... re=related

(If you go back to the original OP and click edit/ the heading change will go through to the main board.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Armageddon » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 22:03:49

SeaGypsy wrote:Here is a nicely spoken very clear explanation in layman's terms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enm0CBx5 ... re=related

(If you go back to the original OP and click edit/ the heading change will go through to the main board.)

Great video. Really goes hand in hand with the original article in this thread.

(there isn't an edit thing in the OP. I have looked everywhere.) All the other posts have one except the original one)
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 22:43:17

Um, this Youtube video looks like a thinly veiled advertisement for "investment literature" to me.

This whole thing seems slanted and exaggerated -- it's like the TV infomercials where bogus claims are made.

If country X wants to buy oil with petrodollars, they can do a currency exchange from their currency to US dollars on the highly liquid FX markets, and then buy oil (i.e. via futures) right away. No muss, no fuss, no currency risk for them, NO BIG DEAL.

This idea that the petrodollar forces investments in massive amounts of US treasury paper, etc. is simply ludicrous.

If the dollar collapses, it will be to overall unsustainable debt, and a failure of US politicians (bowing to the whims of idiot voters) to face up to reality and balance our budgets in a reasonable timeframe. NOT because of some petrodollar monster hiding under the bed -- not in a world where capital can be invested virtually all over the world and in MANY types of investments, around the clock, at the push of a button.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 22:57:45

There is no divorce between your countries debt situation and this move away from the dollar as reserve, which has blatently obviously been a major factor in why you keep going to war for reasons which turn out to be bogus but are never explained. You are still 25% of the world market, with significant reserves in a good variety of resources, just not enough to maintain 'King of the Free World' status post loss of USD reserve status.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Revi » Sat 28 Jan 2012, 01:02:04

Something is happening. The price of everything went up a lot this week in dollars. Maybe it will settle back into a deflationary funk next week, but they will have to ramp up the Euro crisis to do it. I think the demise of the petrodollar may be happening. Seeing that vid on Libya made me think. What are we going to do about Iran? We'll see. Either way it ain't gonna be pretty. Here's another great article on the petrodollar from Martin Katusa:

http://www.321energy.com/editorials/cas ... 12712.html
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 28 Jan 2012, 01:10:17

It looks like this time the USA is really between a rock and a diamond blade with no way out. It can't blow Iran to smitherines with any degree of surety that China and or some combination of China/ Russia/ Pakistan/ India would not let loose their upper end arsenal. So the dollar is going to die by attrition. I'm watching out for some major false flag event in the near future to be used as a pretense to go into Iran. I think those calling this the death of the dollar are likely wrong. But reserve status is toast.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 28 Jan 2012, 08:18:03

US main hope with Iran is Shah V2.0 (pretty hard to sell the second time round ,if its possible, it will only be short term fix)
They tried sanctions to topple Saddam and it didn't work.
Black ops/4GW will be fought through Syria back doored through Afghanistan
Long term Iran will influence Iraq and eventually Saudi'
Long term the $US is dead.
Short term death of the Euro might buy the $US some time or speed up the move to gold.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 28 Jan 2012, 23:19:52

Shaved Monkey wrote:US main hope with Iran is Shah V2.0 (pretty hard to sell the second time round ,if its possible, it will only be short term fix)
They tried sanctions to topple Saddam and it didn't work.
Black ops/4GW will be fought through Syria back doored through Afghanistan
Long term Iran will influence Iraq and eventually Saudi'
Long term the $US is dead.
Short term death of the Euro might buy the $US some time or speed up the move to gold.

Watching Al Jazeera right now. It looks like something very fishy is going on in Syria RIGHT NOW.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: The Demise of the US Dollar/Petrodollar

Unread postby Cog » Sun 29 Jan 2012, 06:52:41

Syria has got so violent even the terrorist organization Hamas has had to pull up stakes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... QS20120127

The leader of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, Khaled Meshaal, has effectively abandoned his headquarters in the Syrian capital, Damascus, diplomatic and intelligence sources said on Friday.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance