Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 10:55:54

Its ugly out there!
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: ShadowStats.Com Computed The Traditional Way

Unread postby lowem » Thu 09 Jul 2009, 22:19:25

When U-6 hit 10% back there, you could call it a depression already. There's no official definition, depressions being not as common as recessions, but unemployment>=10% and/or GDP contraction>=10% are the two main ones that the contrarians watch out for.

But John Williams' SGS figures are something else to behold. According to the above, not only are we heading into 1930's territory, we could *already* be there. Yeow.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 29 Dec 2016, 14:07:45

AlexdeLarge wrote:Image

Its ugly out there!

It really is amazing that the reporting agencies change formulas to fit whatever politics say they should fit and the media just rolls over and plays dead.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 29 Dec 2016, 14:20:05

Tanada wrote:

It really is amazing that the reporting agencies change formulas to fit whatever politics say they should fit and the media just rolls over and plays dead.

Good bump, and point, Tanada.

What amazes me is how, 99% of the time, over time the projections of the fear mongers are shown to be complete nonsense vs the much-hated-and-lied-about MSM, and yet the MSM turns out to be much closer to reality, looking back on actual history (vs. doomer economic hyperbole).

And yet, the doomers by far just mostly repeat their projections, over and over, as though they have earned lots of credibility by misstating things and ignoring the vast majority of economic reality.

(Or doomers, do you actually believe we have a 23% unemployment rate today? And don't assume I'm an Obama fan, I'm generally not. But we are getting back to pretty much full employment, even if most of the jobs aren't great in terms of wages or security).

But hey, I guess people need a hobby.

Thanks to the folks who counter the constant drumbeat of doom with actual factual data over time, so there can be a (somewhat) rational conversation about all this on this site.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 29 Dec 2016, 14:25:52

Oh, and I just realized something. The charts posted above in 2009 show published dates of Dec, 2016. How does that work, a time machine?

I had originally assumed (given the 2009 posting date) that these were gloomy doomer projections from the scary 2009 economy). And my post above was based on that assumption.

However, given that Shadowstats is now reporting unemployment that is fully 18% over what it actually is, or off by nearly a factor of 5, my point stands.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Satori » Thu 29 Dec 2016, 14:48:31

all I know is that on Jan.20th
the unemployment rate is gonna SKYROCKET to as high as 42% :shock:

I Can't Wait To Hear Donald Trump Discuss 'HIS' Unemployment Numbers
http://crooksandliars.com/2016/12/i-...mp-discuss-his
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 29 Dec 2016, 15:15:23

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Oh, and I just realized something. The charts posted above in 2009 show published dates of Dec, 2016. How does that work, a time machine?

How it works is there are two kinds of images the software system accepts as valid, one is for static images and the other is for images that update automatically when the website they address updates their links.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 01 Jan 2017, 15:17:42

I am not sure what point you guys are making. Especially Outcast. Your point that events bear out MSM statistics is rather weak and opaque. Other than statistics how do any of us know how much unemployment is out there and how much economic activity is occurring? I rather focus on real events that do bear out that MSM is intentionally exaggerating on the optimistic side. Why the groundswell of support by Republicans and conservatives for a billionaire outsider from NY? Well, as they say its the economy stupid. Why the persistent reports of whole regions subsumed in economic malaise like the Midwest rustbelt. So, for my money Shadowstats is very accurate than MSM
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 01 Jan 2017, 22:10:58

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Tanada wrote:

Good bump, and point, Tanada.

What amazes me is how, 99% of the time, over time the projections of the fear mongers are shown to be complete nonsense vs the much-hated-and-lied-about MSM, and yet the MSM turns out to be much closer to reality, looking back on actual history (vs. doomer economic hyperbole).

And yet, the doomers by far just mostly repeat their projections, over and over, as though they have earned lots of credibility by misstating things and ignoring the vast majority of economic reality.

(Or doomers, do you actually believe we have a 23% unemployment rate today? And don't assume I'm an Obama fan, I'm generally not. But we are getting back to pretty much full employment, even if most of the jobs aren't great in terms of wages or security).

But hey, I guess people need a hobby.

Thanks to the folks who counter the constant drumbeat of doom with actual factual data over time, so there can be a (somewhat) rational conversation about all this on this site.

I think the explanation is given in a report published in the website.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 01 Jan 2017, 22:51:38

I ran across a blog on Realclearpolitics the other day. It was springboarding off somethings Scott Adams (Dilbert) said about trusting scientists with respect to global warming. This second guy took that and basically said that ALL climate change stats were a hoax because the scientists were fudging the data to make it appear as though the earth was warming when it was not and that we, mere mortals, had no business believing in cc because we could not see it and could not verify it and he could prove 99% of scientists were just grubbing for grants, etc.

Someone else pointed out that there were visible signs such as melting glaciers and he was summarily dismissed, the glaciers are NOT melting. I posted that it's pretty bloody obvious the Arctic and Antarctic ice sheets are breaking up unless you believe all those sat images are fake and we didn't land on the moon, but I didn't stick around to argue with a bunch of nut case deniers who were in a fine froth denouncing greenies.

I bring this up here because it was exactly the same kind of argument that shadow stats uses. Not to dis shadow stats, but to point out that in some places the argument is used for a different and political end.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 01 Jan 2017, 23:29:26

I personally trust much more a site like Shadowstats than official govt data. The reason is because the overwhelming mandate of the leadership structure is to maintain business as usual going for as long as possible. That can only be done if the masses do not believe that it will soon falter. If they do, suddenly investments dry up, people do not deposit money in banks, people chose not to spend but rather save and prepare for collapse scenarios etc. So it is plainly evident that it is in the interest of the financial and political world to keep the lid on economic doom. The ones doing the doom forecasting are the unofficial sources, independent bloggers and outlets etc.
Last edited by onlooker on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 23:40:46, edited 1 time in total.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 01 Jan 2017, 23:42:35

Guns, gold, and MRE sales would go through the roof. That's why Savinar used to post here. And advertise?
Yes, we saw a little of that in 2005 or so didn't we.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 02 Jan 2017, 00:24:27

Y'all are much more into such stats then the Rockman. So an unbiased request: unemployment stats vs labor force paticipation rate. For instance an interesting article: The chart Obama-haters love most—and the truth behind it. Read it all because it eventually leads to a somewhat conflicted conclusions.

http://qz.com/286213/the-chart-obama-ha ... behind-it/
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance