Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

must be a few coins short..

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

must be a few coins short..

Unread postby JV153 » Sun 07 Feb 2016, 03:10:38

Task manager says this site is using 15% of CPU time with Javascript enabled, and a few percent with it disabled when viewing this site.

.. on the left side of this website, it says donate bitcoins,with some funny winky character.
JV153

Re: must be a few coins short..

Unread postby JV153 » Sun 07 Feb 2016, 14:03:33

edit : unknown issue
JV153

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 07 Feb 2016, 17:34:58

JV153 wrote:Task manager says this site is using 15% of CPU time with Javascript enabled, and a few percent with it disabled when viewing this site.

.. on the left side of this website, it says donate bitcoins,with some funny winky character.

This is becoming more and more of an issue with the web in general. The bar for all the nonsense the advertisers try to pull to get (or force) our attention keeps getting raised. The CPU and data load and complexity involved with many of the web pages used now is rivaling, say, the standard internet safety package in a Norton type of package -- trying to keep such pages "safe" for users.

It's getting bad enough now and my trust level is low enough now that if some page on a site I don't know well "goes away" for a meaningful amount of time while they are clearly loading lots of stuff "to enhance my internet experience" and doing who-knows-what shady nonsense in the meantime -- I just abandon what I'm doing there, and often refuse to return.

For windows, there are now rootkit viruses, propogated by organized crime in Russia, for one example. Sometimes there isn't an easy or quick mainstream fix to such things.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this site -- but one has to wonder how bad this kind of thing will get on today's world wide web. I supposed in the era of 95%+ of people joining Facebook even KNOWING their reputation for treating the customer and their privacy like dirt -- most people either don't care or don't understand the potential risks to their computer/data.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JV153 » Mon 08 Feb 2016, 05:25:04

Yep, the CPU usage is from an ad - in any case the site works fine without Javascript.
JV153

Return to Technical Support