Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Time to bring back the HOF?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Time to bring back the HOF?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 01:51:04

In the country where I live, journalists regularly rip into our most senior politicians on free to air TV, there is swearing on the radio during PG hours, often on TV also. Ok, not everyone likes it like this. Americans particularly seem very 20th century in attitudes to profane language in mainstream media, despite having a movie industry fostering ultraviolent deeds & language, all seems a bit weird to those outside Turtle Island.

Anyway I want to suggest we bring back the Hall of Flames. For those instances where pouring fire etc is the only honest response. If not, why not?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Time to bring back the HOF?

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 02:51:55

SeaGypsy wrote:In the country where I live, journalists regularly rip into our most senior politicians on free to air TV, there is swearing on the radio during PG hours, often on TV also. Ok, not everyone likes it like this. Americans particularly seem very 20th century in attitudes to profane language in mainstream media, despite having a movie industry fostering ultraviolent deeds & language, all seems a bit weird to those outside Turtle Island.
Some of our American moderators' delicate sensibilities were offended by the poo-powered bike:
a publicity stunt by the major Japanese toilet manufacturer Toto.
:lol:
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 03:11:50

What are you all on about? What you portray is not objectionable material.

The "Hall of Flames" as it used to be known is now the "Open Topic Discussion".

The "Open Topic" forum is invisible to non-members, by the way. It keep the adolescent noise off the "social media" (what we used to refer to as rss, etc.), and thus off our own buzz feed. We want our media buzz to be about POD, not Facebook's 10 awesome-mind-blowing-tricks-or-amazingly-shocking-videos.

The toilet motor bike was funny, as long as it is in "open" (meaning closed to the public) territory.

:roll:
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:37:38

I have a subscription to 'Trends in the news' a paid daily news report. No different than a paid newspaper subscription. Every day Gerald Celente does a newscast of today's top news. Only his news is the real news, no censorship, graphic images of kids killed in warfare, and he openly curses and swears during each broadcast. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TK67eQ ... ilpage#t=1

This is the only 'TV' news report that I watch. I gave up on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC, and everything else a long time ago. He's also really smart, unlike trying to sit through an Alex Jones broadcast, where the host is clearly nuts.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 17:31:01

MD wrote:What are you all on about? What you portray is not objectionable material.

Not according to the senior mod. Check 'Profanity' new one post locked thread.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 09:56:32

It has been discussed from time to time but the staff consensus has been that adults can exhibit adult behavior on the internet just as easily as they can in a grocery store or other public venue.

Don't prove us wrong.

If you really feel the urge to say something inappropriate for public consumption then use the PM function, that is why it exists.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MD » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:45:51

SeaGypsy wrote:
MD wrote:What are you all on about? What you portray is not objectionable material.

Not according to the senior mod. Check 'Profanity' new one post locked thread.

I think you are overreacting.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Return to Open Topic Discussion