Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE North Slope Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

THE North Slope Thread (merged)

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 17 May 2005, 10:38:07

North Slope production down by 3%
read link. Some of it was due to maintenence.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby aahala » Tue 17 May 2005, 10:49:01

Here's a link showing the Alaska production history by fiscal and
calendar years:

http://www.tax.state.ak.us/programs/oil ... odCYFY.htm
aahala
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 17 May 2005, 11:28:21

Its funny because i think a lot of Americans think AK is full of oil. A close friend thought AK had more oil then Iraq. It does produce a lot, but is like a bandaid on a gunshot wound :)
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

North Slope oil production

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Tue 10 Jan 2006, 22:52:23

Anchorage, Alaska - Production from the North Slope oil fields continued on a downward trend in the month of December. Prudhoe Bay accounted for the largest per-day drop in production with output falling by more than 23,000 barrels.

Other major North Slope oil fields, such as the Northstar, Kuparuk and Alpine fields, also showed a decrease in production.

Total output for December slid by more than 32,000 barrels to about 860,000 per day. That's more than 120,000 barrels a day fewer than the same period last year.

http://www.ktuu.com/cms/templates/maste ... 2&zoneid=1
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

BP Spill - WOW! 75% Water Cut

Unread postby slowrunner » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 20:05:59

From USA Today -
"For now, Alaska's North Slope is all about oil — or what's left of it. Only about a quarter of the liquid pulled out of the ground is oil nowadays. The rest is water.

"We're actually a water field that produces oil," quips Gary Crawford, corrosion detection team leader for BP in Prudhoe Bay. "Back in the '80s, they didn't have any water, so you didn't have to worry about corrosion."

Prudhoe Bay's pipeline problems are another sign that its best days are behind it. It was never expected to last this long. When production began in 1977, the oil was expected to give out after 25 years,--"

This expains why no maintenance leading to the current state of disrepair.
slowrunner
Wood
Wood

Re: BP Spill - WOW! 75% Water Cut

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 20:20:47

Partially yes, a 75% watercut is nothing unusual though. Many fields are produced with a watercut around that size (being depleted as such).
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby mekrob » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 20:30:05

Taskforce_Unity wrote:Partially yes, a 75% watercut is nothing unusual though. Many fields are produced with a watercut around that size (being depleted as such).

They can even be much much higher. Quoting from Twilight in the Desert (not perfect for analytical purposes, but fine for historical):

While the whole "water in oilfields" issue has been a relatively obscure one, the volume of water produced from the world's oil fields is now estimated to exceed 200 million barrels per day, nearly three times the volume of the oil. Oil wells in the United States produce more than seven barrels of water for each barrel of oil brought out of the ground.
Bold added by me.

Unless if my math is way off or Simmons is wrong, that's a 75% water cut for the world and 87.5% for the US.

I can sort of believe the 87.5% figure simply because the US is so old, but 75% for the world? Could the 200 mpd of water really be injection and not extraction?
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TexasEx2006 » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 20:30:56

This is very typical. What they don't mention is that most of this water is removed from the produced oil prior to hitting the main pipeline.

All of oil & gas production is about separations...separation of water from oil, oil from water, water from solids, condensates from natrual gas, etc. Once downstream further separations are made.

It is very unfortunate however that as a field ages it naturally produces more water either due to nature or waterflood operations.
TexasEx2006
Wood
Wood

Unread postby shortonoil » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 20:38:00

Half the world’s major fields are now producing oily smelling water. Then we get these idiots, like the guy on the home page, declaring that prices are going to plunge. Where did all the mutant alien idiots come from? They must be detainies from another star system.

Every age has its peculiar folly; some scheme, project, or phantasy
into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity
of excitement, or the mere force of imitation.
1841, Charles Mackay
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby Zardoz » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 20:56:02

shortonoil wrote:Half the world’s major fields are now producing oily smelling water. Then we get these idiots, like the guy on the home page, declaring that prices are going to plunge. Where did all the mutant alien idiots come from? They must be detainees from another star system.

Must be. Has to be:

Okay, maybe this is a put-on. Maybe it's really tongue-in-cheek sarcasm or something...
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby shortonoil » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 21:23:36

Zardoz said:

Must be. Has to be:

Okay, maybe this is a put-on. Maybe it's really tongue-in-cheek sarcasm or something...

Probably they're the lone survivor from the 1946 Bikini Atoll test.

As the old man said: “There is no substitute for stupidity.”
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby lawnchair » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 22:09:53

As I understand it, the water cut really does go down the pipeline in the North Slope. Lots of reasons. They want as little machinery as possible up there. If something breaks in Valdez in November, it's not near the problem it is on the Slope. They are desperately concerned about oil spills up there (these guys park their pickups over little mats that absorb dripping fluids). Reducing machinery up north reduces the number of possible eco-disaster points. They don't need to recycle the water (I'm not sure how much water injection goes on, but there is plenty of fresh). If there is excess water (geologic, not injected), it would have to be treated after separation (again, a big hassle up north). And there is no problem of running out of pipeline capacity these days.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jeezlouise » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 22:21:32

Zardoz wrote:
shortonoil wrote: Where did all the mutant alien idiots come from? They must be detainees from another star system.

Must be. Has to be:

I sure hope so... I... I don't even know where to begin with this "article". I'm simply flabbergasted. This tripe would make JD blush.

Paul Higgins wrote:If the US moves to reduce its oil consumption it will have a significant effect on world demand.

This is the sentence I particularly have a problem with. If any real reduction of consumption is going to happen, it's going to have to happen with transportation, personal as well as business (that means you, airlines). Some people can afford hybrid cars, but millions cannot, and will keep recycling $700 clunkers until they rust out or fuel efficiency standards make them illegal to drive (unlikely). I just don't think the "lets find more oil and use ethanol and beg people to drive less or buy brand new hybrids (just don't run the AC!) and close our eyes and hope for the best" plan is such a good one. I don't claim to know the answers, but.. let's just say if this guy can find employ as a "futurist", then where do I sign up? He sites no actual evidence of any meaningful demand elasticity of late, and instead prefers to stake a whopping 10 bucks on a bunch of... well, ideas. Ok, Paulie, I'll se your 10 and raise you a civilization.

I'm all in. You game?
jeezlouise
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Heineken » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 22:41:37

Unless I'm mistaken, the higher the water cut, the higher the cost of producing finished petroleum products, right? So this will be another factor bending prices ever upward as the water cut of the world's major fields grows.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby paoniapbud » Mon 14 Aug 2006, 23:15:28

I predict EROEI will become a household term in about two to five years. 8O
"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him." -Friedrich Nietzsche
paoniapbud
Peat
Peat

Unread postby americandream » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 00:37:47

BTW, whats all this water cutting blahdy blahdy yakkity yak h20 usage doing to our water reserves (quality) seeing as water is fast become hot property in market......is the stuff we're pulling out along with oil adding to our stretched reserves (presumably the Middle east is going the other way and injecting fresh stuff).

Now there's a business...bottled purified ex crude hydro!
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 05:45:17

@Americandream

They use seawater mostly, so there are little "bottle fresh water problems"

@Heineken

The water cut drives the field prices up maybe a few dollars for production, which is nothing in comparison to the oil price

@poaniapbud

In two to five years is impossible. Recent Scientific research carried about by Charles Hall from New York State University with data from J.S. Herold Inc and BP showed that the EROEI of oil production is currently an aggregrate of 1:25. It has been declining somewhat in recent years due to the addition of various unconventional projects. It will decline further, but stay positive enough until at least 2030.
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby sameu » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 08:41:29

The only caveat to my scenario is if we have reached peak oil production — the point where we can no longer increase the amount of oil that is produced annually

A range of views place peak oil production somewhere between 2005-2036. Once we reach peak oil, then there will be a crunch in oil supply and price that makes current pricing look like a picnic, and my money is already on the table.

yes, just one minor little detail huh :roll:

peakoil is a bitch, exactly because it renders all these logical, known, used to work analysis and theories null and void

where do I sign up for the picnic?
sameu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 09:36:00

Taskforce_Unity wrote:@

The water cut drives the field prices up maybe a few dollars for production, which is nothing in comparison to the oil price

The BP situation is costing a lot more than a few dollars. The corrosion problem is serious and gets worse as the water cut grows. This was a major point Simmons made in "Twilight in the Desert."
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 15 Aug 2006, 11:45:32

paoniapbud wrote:I predict EROEI will become a household term in about two to five years. 8O

In some households, it already is. ;)
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion