Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The energy outlook

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

The energy outlook

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Tue 17 Apr 2018, 20:19:38

Hi,

I recently viewed a site that once advertised a book about the energy decline, now that doesn't exist, since it was from 2007.

I'm not sure what to make of the energy market, I think the new tech has sank in and the energy market has some extra crude for a while.
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Re: The energy outlook

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 21:34:11

Old hardcopy books don't cease to exist. I LOVE to read, and resources like Abebooks are just fantastic for people who want to read older stuff, and care more about the contents than what the book might look like.

And the internet has been ideal for making online used bookstores usable, by making it where any such bookstore that doesn't have an easily searchable inventory is pretty much obsolete.

(Before the World Wide Web became popular, MANY used bookstores were very poorly organized, and the (idiot) employees would often expect customers to look/sort through thousands of books on a given subject.

People can have reasonable differences on the value of the internet overall (given all the negatives about information, privacy, hacking, etc), but for used books, this fan says it's completely remade that industry.

Now, if you don't know several words in the title of the book -- FINDING it might be well nigh impossible. The energy outlook, re fossil fuels has changed a LOT (at least for the intermediate term) in the past 11 years anyway.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 09:01:59

There is still in America lots of buildings full of old books called Public libraries. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 12:09:52

http://peakoil.com/production/the-secre ... ing-bubble
The Secret of the Great American Fracking Bubble
Roughly a decade after McClendon’s rise, the Wall Street Journal reported that “energy companies [since 2007] have spent $280 billion more than they generated from operations on shale investments, according to advisory firm Evercore ISI.”
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 12:24:33

vtsnowedin wrote:There is still in America lots of buildings full of old books called Public libraries. :)

That's a good point too. In my city, the selection used to be dismal for many of the subjects (like SF, Chess, etc) that I tend to gravitate toward for fun reading. And before the days of computerizing novels, the waiting lists for popular books was kind of horrendous.

Now with many books and periodicals online via libraries, it's probably better, but for older hard to find books, it's probably dicey at best.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 12:29:29

onlooker wrote:http://peakoil.com/production/the-secret-of-the-great-american-fracking-bubble
The Secret of the Great American Fracking Bubble
Roughly a decade after McClendon’s rise, the Wall Street Journal reported that “energy companies [since 2007] have spent $280 billion more than they generated from operations on shale investments, according to advisory firm Evercore ISI.”

This, again?

So all the accountants reporting $billions in earnings for the oil majors like CVX, BP, XOM, RDSA, etc. are wrong? So all the accounting standards accepted by the investment community and the buyers and sellers of oil (the industries, not the end users) are wrong?

Do you think the history of human progress was achieved by never learning about things?
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby StarvingLion » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 13:28:11

More doomers all the time because there is no energy outlook. I find it amusing because I am no longer sane.

http://euanmearns.com/the-seawater-pump ... /#comments

Leo Smith says:
April 18, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Of course we will not transition to 100% ‘renewables’ or anything like it.

We will either go massively nuclear, or we will suffer a 97% population crash and go back to peasant farming.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 16:05:16

P, but our optimistic friends swear by the cooked book figures. Ponzi scheme with the Economy at stake. They want so much to believe.
Look at what they are doing not saying. McClendon’s secret? haha
Our friend Starve was right all along.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 18:47:58

pstarr wrote:Now Cramer is pumping pot stocks. The next Bitcoin. Time for outcaste and Planty to jump in ha ha ha ha

:lol: :lol: :lol:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Peak Oil Discussion