Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What Is Crude Oil, How Is It Formed?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

sweet/sour crude ?s

Unread postby Riverside » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 21:14:00

I understand the difference between the two. What I want to know is how much sweet vs sour are we (we being collective) pumping out now, how much sweet is left, and how much sour. How much time is left before refineries have to spend hundreds of millions to switch to sour?

Will the switch to sour impact the enviornment that much more (enough that the US and other countries have to change pollution laws)? Are China and India using sour now? Is South America?

I've read that Saudi Arabia is mixing sour with light sweet crude to keep up with demand, so how much of a mix can current refineries handle? And wouldn't the mix of oil from SA prove they were lying about reserves?

Did I miss anything? :roll:

If you all can point me in the right direction, I'll read it for myself, and save you the time, lol, but I have read so much about PO lately that my head is spinning.

Thanks
Carla
Riverside
Peat
Peat

Re: sweet/sour crude ?s

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Thu 10 Mar 2005, 23:50:57

Riverside wrote:Did I miss anything? :roll:

Light vs. heavy crude.

Sour = sulfer.
Heavy = gelatinous
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

how crude oil is formed?

Unread postby sureshbansal342 » Sat 20 Aug 2011, 04:33:58

earth is a living thing like a tree and meteorite having amino acids and biological chemistry are seeds of planets. as one tree is a result of one seed same one planet is a result of one meteor (seed) only. oil is being produced in earth by metabolism of earth only not by fossil oil theory. fossil oil theory is just manipulation according to requirement. crude oil is linked with living organism because earth itself is a living thing and producing oil like a bark oil.please see following video for more clarification. crude oil is being produced in the crust (bark of earth) like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7i5CY6XNo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lG3FX9D68

suresh
[email protected]
sureshbansal342
Wood
Wood

Re: how crude oil is formed?

Unread postby americandream » Sat 20 Aug 2011, 04:48:34

sureshbansal342 wrote:earth is a living thing like a tree and meteorite having amino acids and biological chemistry are seeds of planets. as one tree is a result of one seed same one planet is a result of one meteor (seed) only. oil is being produced in earth by metabolism of earth only not by fossil oil theory. fossil oil theory is just manipulation according to requirement. crude oil is linked with living organism because earth itself is a living thing and producing oil like a bark oil.please see following video for more clarification. crude oil is being produced in the crust (bark of earth) like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7i5CY6XNo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lG3FX9D68

suresh
[email protected]

Sufficient to fuel a thirsty capitalism? Your opinion, ta.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Sat 20 Aug 2011, 08:04:49

Suresh, it doesn't matter if it's worm excrement or if it flows through from a 4th dimension or was left by God as a joke: it is a finite resource on a human timescale.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 20 Aug 2011, 10:29:04

someone please point this gentleman to the abiotic oil thread.
I can't possibly go through this once again! :cry:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sat 20 Aug 2011, 10:58:10

rockdoc123 wrote:someone please point this gentleman to the abiotic oil thread.

The first 50 pages...
The last 6 pages.

:lol:
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Thu 01 Sep 2011, 01:37:03

rockdoc123 wrote:someone please point this gentleman to the abiotic oil thread.

PRICELESS!!!!! :-D
AirlinePilot

Unread postby sureshbansal342 » Fri 13 Jan 2012, 13:12:03

If we observe the current biotic and abiotic theories of petroleum.evidences from abiotic theory people are very strong and sufficient that petroleum has deep origin but unfortunately they diverted it toward it's abiotic origin. No need to manipluate the strong chemical evidence of biotic origin. Let them free as it is.so it concludes that oil is both and biotic in origin like a bark oil.sediments are good indicator of presence of oil near by but no involvement to produce it.I can prove it with experiments.
sureshbansal342
Wood
Wood

A differently biotic oil?

Unread postby davep » Fri 15 Mar 2013, 16:48:09

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/oceanic-crust-ecosystem/all/

‘Parallel Universe’ of Life Described Far Beneath the Bottom of the Sea

Deep beneath the ocean floor off the Pacific Northwest coast, scientists have described the existence of a potentially vast realm of life, one almost completely disconnected from the world above.

Persisting in microscopic cracks in the basalt rocks of Earth’s oceanic crust is a complex microbial ecosystem fueled entirely by chemical reactions with rocks and seawater, rather than sunlight or the organic byproducts of light-harvesting terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.

Such modes of life, technically known as chemosynthetic, are not unprecedented, having also been found deep in mine shafts and around seafloor hydrothermal vents. Never before, though, have they been found on so vast a scale. In pure geographical area, these oceanic crust systems may contain the largest ecosystem on Earth...
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: A differently biotic oil?

Unread postby Econ101 » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:03:22

There is also a growing body of evidence it is these microbes that are creating oil and oil is not finite at all, even though the vast supplies available to us now seem infinite they are not. They may only last a few hundred years more if its not being continually replenished by the earth.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Lore » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:22:03

There is also a growing body of evidence, from those same impeccable sources, that monkeys will eventually fly out of Daniel Yergin's ass.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby davep » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:38:33

Econ101 wrote:There is also a growing body of evidence it is these microbes that are creating oil and oil is not finite at all, even though the vast supplies available to us now seem infinite they are not. They may only last a few hundred years more if its not being continually replenished by the earth.

Whether oil comes from vegetation or subterranean life forms (or both), the basic biotic principle doesn't change, just the biological source of the carbon-based molecules that will constitute the oil. This doesn't make the supply any more or less finite over human timescales. It may or may not alter where we should look for oil.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 13:02:23

davep wrote:Whether oil comes from vegetation or subterranean life forms (or both), the basic biotic principle doesn't change, just the biological source of the carbon-based molecules that will constitute the oil. This doesn't make the supply any more or less finite over human timescales. It may or may not alter where we should look for oil.

I think the hope is that with these life forms combined with genetic engineering we could create a very prolific bacteria that will turn all our poop into oil. And, if we can do that, we can make one that will turn it into gold or diamonds or cheeseburgers. And with that we can afford to terraform the other planets with them and get off this over-crowded rock.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 13:05:02

Where does the oil come into it? The article talks about these microbes releasing METHANE---it never mentions oil

We've got similar things in permafrost up here in Alaska--- microbes there also generate METHANE
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Buddy_J » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 13:44:44

Plantagenet wrote:Where does the oil come into it? The article talks about these microbes releasing METHANE---it never mentions oil

We've got similar things in permafrost up here in Alaska--- microbes there also generate METHANE

They also do the same thing in Michigan! And then, even better, they store all this methane in shales!!

Has anyone considered shale as a renewable resource if it is fueled by microbes?

http://www.ur.umich.edu/9697/Sep17_96/artcl25.htm
Buddy_J
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Econ101 » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 14:55:19

The article doesnt mention oil but evidence is mounting the microbes are producing crude oil and gas.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 16:49:01

Plantagenet wrote:Where does the oil come into it? The article talks about these microbes releasing METHANE---it never mentions oil

I just took the logical leap from carbon-based lifeforms existing in rock in apparently huge quantities to their rotting corpses (and maybe the methane) getting turned to oil in the same way that dino-oil would.

The article mentions the potentially huge size of the ecosystem, but indicates that the rate of reproduction would be far lower than normal species. It's just a potentially interesting new twist to how oil could have got there.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 16 Mar 2013, 18:34:12

And so what if it does? Without sunlight, there's no way it's producing at a rate that *matters.* Just like abiotic oil. Yeah, there's probably some, but again, so what? The amount produced has to be pretty trivial or it would be showing up everywhere and oil fields everywhere would be growing, not depleting. For that matter, if either process was creating oil in significant amounts, we would have lakes of oil on the surface of the land, and giant slicks at sea. Microbes that ate oil would have evolved into sufficient abundance that we wouldn't be able to keep oil or gasoline without bacterial decay.

Doesn't add up, no matter how it's spun.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion