Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil and kids

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:58:38

I am an antinatalist https://www.reddit.com/r/antinatalism/ partly because of peak oil but also because of how bad life is in general.

How can you know collapse is coming and still have kids?
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:33:07

Tiki - Why focus just on PO? I work with cancer kids and about a third of them die even with top treatment. Hang out with me for a weekend and see how depression can drive some folks to your position. I used to mentor poor folks includinv some that couldn't read/write very well. Folks to intimidated to walk into a bank to open a checking account so I would take them in myself. Imagine what I felt about the future of their kids.

One thing for sure: every child born this year will eventually die. What life holds for them will largely depend on the choices they make...good or bad. And growing up in one of the crappiest neighborhoods in New Orleans I saw some contemporaries end up with truly miserable lives often from poor choices they made. And none of that suffering was due to PO.

For the Rockman? I have a 16 yo daughter who probably would have not survived childhood had I not adopted her in China back in 2000. And I don't worry to much about her dealing PO during her life because she's being prepared for it. Like last summer getting her a solar model kit to work with. As well as the adults in the family having rural property she'll inherit one day. And then the obvious: make a career choice with respect to college not so dependent upon fossil fuels. There's a lot someone can do to help them prepare for an uncertain future. As long as they don't have their head up there ass. LOL.

BTW I suspect your decision to not bred is a wise one. And my view has nothing to do with PO. LOL.
Last edited by ROCKMAN on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:55:27, edited 1 time in total.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:50:55

People will have children in the most of grim of circumstances.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:55:06

I heard a quote that addresses that.
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
I think you should not be so sure that the collapse that may come will make life not worth living for all the kids in the world.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:56:46

Cog wrote:People will have children in the most of grim of circumstances.

In fact, it's hard-wired into primate behavior. The more distress the apes feel, the more kids are born.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:58:51

Hawkcreek wrote:I heard a quote that addresses that.
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
I think you should not be so sure that the collapse that may come will make life not worth living for all the kids in the world.

If you are going to quote, you should give the source. Your quote was from Ronald Reagan.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:01:13

Its almost never anyone's fault that they had a bad life, life is a meatgrinder. We are all brought here agaist our will, withy very little choice in how our lives go and destined to die in pain and alone.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:36:56

Tikib wrote:I am an antinatalist https://www.reddit.com/r/antinatalism/ partly because of peak oil but also because of how bad life is in general.

How can you know collapse is coming and still have kids?

Unfortunate to hear about your life being bad in general. Normally I would recommend education in the most difficult field of study you can handle, a work ethic that puts you above and beyond the lowest common denominator nowadays (millennials), and understanding that no one wins based on participation awards the youngsters are now taught in school, but on a fierce competitive spirit.

Peak oil turned out to be a bust, you could have accomplished everything I listed above since it allegedly happened a decade or so ago, and been living a better life today in spite of it.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:39:13

Boy ain't that peak oil in a nutshell.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:40:44

Your statements show exactly why human life needs to end. Life is a blood sport where all the competitors die in pain.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:45:46

Tikib wrote:Your statements show exactly why human life needs to end. Life is a blood sport where all the competitors die in pain.

I'll bet you are a real hit at parties. :o

Look man. Go meet a woman, get laid, and smoke an expensive cigar. You will feel much better about life.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:47:49

Get laid - ie increase the chance that more people will be forced to endure the misery of existence. And more people will be here to suffer during the great die off.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:08:37

KaiserJeep wrote:

If you are going to quote, you should give the source. Your quote was from Ronald Reagan.

Sorry, it was from Mark Twain.
Reagan was a loser.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:10:52

Hawkcreek wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:

Sorry, it was from Mark Twain.
Reagan was a loser.

Well he was president and you were not. So he had that going for him. :lol:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:15:20

Tikib wrote:Get laid - ie increase the chance that more people will be forced to endure the misery of existence. And more people will be here to suffer during the great die off.

There are probably billions of people in the world that are suffering worse than you right now.
Do what Cog said, or the equivalent that makes you happy.
All of humanity will suffer and die. That is what we are here for. It takes all that suffering to make those illuminated moments really glow.
So get over yourself, and get to work.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:17:53

Nah I am preparing to take the only rational response to finding yourself on this barren rock in the middle of a hostile universe. I just want to help spread the antinatalist meme and prevent some suffering before I do.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:26:58

Cog wrote:Well he was president and you were not. So he had that going for him. :lol:

You are right - and even if I would have been president, I never would have been able to force myself to do some of the things he did.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:28:32

"It's a human superpower, forgetting. If you remembered how things felt, you'd have stopped having wars. And stopped having babies."
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:32:10

Hawkcreek wrote:
Tikib wrote:Get laid - ie increase the chance that more people will be forced to endure the misery of existence. And more people will be here to suffer during the great die off.

There are probably billions of people in the world that are suffering worse than you right now.
Do what Cog said, or the equivalent that makes you happy.
All of humanity will suffer and die. That is what we are here for. It takes all that suffering to make those illuminated moments really glow.
So get over yourself, and get to work.

Arbeit macht frei
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:34:57

Tikib wrote:"It's a human superpower, forgetting. If you remembered how things felt, you'd have stopped having wars. And stopped having babies."

The problem is that the people who feed those babies into those wars, generally don't participate in them. Except to profit from them.
I still remember my last day in Vietnam like it was yesterday. That is part of why I hate our f******g government so much today.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion