Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

WOW (World Oil War)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

WOW (World Oil War)

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 13:22:01

We used to talk about supply shocks a lot more.

A third of the world's oil comes from here, 3/4 of flowing oil reserves are here, and just about every country you see here is now in conflict...

What is the likelihood of a broader war here between the Sunnis and Shias (and us, their puppet states)?

Isn't this the jihad we should be worrying about?

SAUDIS SEEK SECTARIAN STRIFE WITH EXECUTIONS: HEZBOLLAH
BY REUTERS ON 1/3/16 AT 11:37 AM

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said on Sunday Saudi Arabia's execution of a Shi'ite cleric was a "message of blood," and Riyadh sought to create sectarian strife across the world.

The execution on Saturday of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, a vocal critic of the Saudi government, drew Shi'ite anger across the region, with protesters in regional rival Iran storming the Saudi Embassy and leaders condemning the move.

"We are today faced by an appalling event, a huge event that Al Saud took lightly...but this is an event that cannot be taken lightly," Nasrallah said in a speech broadcast live on the Lebanese Shi'ite group's Al Manar television.

"Al Saud wants Sunni-Shi'ite strife. They are the ones who ignited it before, and are doing so in every part of the world."

Nimr was executed alongside 46 other people, including 43 Sunni jihadists, some of them Al-Qaeda leaders and ideologues.

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl=d1 ... =0&topic=h
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: WOW (World Oil War)

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 13:42:58

I am more worried about the other 2(3rds of the oil being stranded due to financial collapse. Gail Tverberg has numerous essays about this issue here:

http://ourfiniteworld.com/
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:30:46

Pops wrote:We used to talk about supply shocks a lot more.

A third of the world's oil comes from here, 3/4 of flowing oil reserves are here, and just about every country you see here is now in conflict...

What is the likelihood of a broader war here between the Sunnis and Shias (and us, their puppet states)?

Isn't this the jihad we should be worrying about?

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl=d1 ... =0&topic=h

At the risk of asking the obvious, can't we presume that this is WHY the US has been heavily entangled in middle eastern affairs for the past 4+ decades, is just this region and its oil? (i.e. "this" being the idea that sooner or later something major WILL occur in such a politically unstable region, and the critical oil from the Persian Gulf MUST be allowed to flow to the western world).

As I understand it, we now spend $250 billion a year just patrolling the Strait of Hormuz and having enough firepower available to ensure they can be opened in a timely manner should something "inconvenient" in the area occur, say with Iran.

Now, this doesn't mean the military is competent or the goals will be met, but as a taxpayer, if keeping the middle eastern oil from this critical region flowing isn't a major factor in what we're doing over there, then the US government is a much larger cluster-"truck" than even I imagined.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:42:40

pstarr wrote:will the United States heed Europe's desperate plea for oil access

Where is this desperate plea coming for and what is it requesting that we do?

Sounds to me like you are writing novels in your head again.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:01:12

I suspect we will continue to assist Europe as they are an important financial and trade partner. However, at some point as things begin to unravel more we will abandon them and simply safeguard Oil for ourselves.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:02:46

pstarr wrote:ennui, where do you expect Europe to get its oil from if not the Oil Triangle?

Last I checked, Europe is not suffering from oil shortages, despite the constant conflict in the middle-east.

pstarr wrote:Does Europe have the military to maintain access through all those choke points? The pipeline routes, Straits of Hormuz. Gibraltar? Or does Europe need the US to confront Russia? Will we be there? Trump says no.

You're outlining various contingencies which haven't happened yet.

One thing I have noticed about europe, though, is they tend to be less reactionary in dealing with crises. If the US were adjacent to Syria, would we let in all those Syrian refugees? Even before the shootings in Paris, I don't think we would have. So characterizing Europe as a country that would just casually call on the US to go bomb the shit out of the ME in order to keep their happy-motoring going is really just the typical anti-West slandering that is par for the course at peakoil.com.

Also remember that Europe is often cited by peakers (like Kunstler) for its public transit and walkable communities. So I don't know why you've chosen to shit on them other than to uphold your quota of anti-establishment haterism for the day.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:20:23

I think the Carter doctrine was about "some other" country (like say USSR) invading the area.

The local mosques lobbing IEDs at each other wasn't necessarily on the radar.

Or was it?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:27:31

Well isn't that the mandate also of NATO. To safeguard Europe but again the question is more nuanced. It is about the Oil and safeguarding and attaining it. So, I certainly believe the US military is there first and foremost to safeguard and attain it for ourselves. Everything and everyone else would be of secondary importance.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:29:22

ennui2 wrote:You're outlining various contingencies which haven't happened yet.

:-D That is like saying "She is a working mother"
There isn't another kind. 8)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:38:39

Europe?
China is the no1 importer of oil
The US number 2
Japan number 3

well here is the picture

Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 16:03:09

Pops wrote:Europe?
China is the no1 importer of oil
The US number 2
Japan number 3

well here is the picture

Germany, France, Spain & Italy are in Europe, just adding those together and you match China.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 16:10:43

Wow you guys that was cool! Did you learn how to do that in university?

LOL, Obviously you missed my point— just about everyone imports oil, not just EU.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GHung » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 16:46:17

With the EU being the US' largest trading partner, it's about a lot more than oil. That said, as I was informed in a middle east deployment orientation @1980 (my first trip there), our involvement there is ALL about oil. "There's simply nothing else here that we have any interest in at all".
Last edited by GHung on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 16:52:32, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion