Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Forbes: PEAK OIL was 2011 and 2015

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Forbes: PEAK OIL was 2011 and 2015

Unread postby M_B_S » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 00:10:31

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arthurberma ... -peak-oil/

Conventional oil production peaked in January 2011 at 86.2 mmbpd unconventional oil 2015?

=>
oil-barrel-pyramid-model-by-m-b-s-peak-2011-t33970.html#p550313
PEAK OIL!
q.e.d.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Forbes: PEAK OIL was 2011 and 2015

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 06:46:33

It will be interesting to see how this affects future investments in oil production, after all Forbes readers are generally people who would make these decisions.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 09:36:32

dolanbaker wrote:It will be interesting to see how this affects future investments in oil production, after all Forbes readers are generally people who would make these decisions.

Watch the smart money with a long term view buy up proven recoverable land based reserves while the present owners are financially stressed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:10:13

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:52:39

I thought I'd seen that story somewhere already. ;)
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 11:00:34

Yeah but it wasn't in ALL CAPS!
lol
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GHung » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 11:16:03

I just did a search of the Oil Drum archives, going back 5-6 years, and it's remarkable how many commenters expected a long undulating plateau in oil production. " ...that Peak Oil seems to be shaping up into Peak Plateau" (2013); "Production may have already peaked, but I think it will plateau and remain fairly constant for a while" (2011); "All I can see is plateaus and peaks...." (2011).....

Seems some over at TOD weren't so wrong after all.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 12:44:09

pstarr wrote:(mods: if the search function worked better or I knew how to use it better, then oh well . . . . is there search function help?)

New search button in the sidebar just for you Pete!
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:38:55

GHung wrote:I just did a search of the Oil Drum archives, going back 5-6 years, and it's remarkable how many commenters expected a long undulating plateau in oil production. " ...that Peak Oil seems to be shaping up into Peak Plateau" (2013); "Production may have already peaked, but I think it will plateau and remain fairly constant for a while" (2011); "All I can see is plateaus and peaks...." (2011).....

Seems some over at TOD weren't so wrong after all.

You are misreading it. By 2011, according to TOD's logic, peak was already 6 years in the past. So it's not that TOD were correct, as much as the discussion there had already shifted to trying to make sense of the sky not having fallen before they just stopped visiting altogether, after which TOD shut down.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:47:45

dolanbaker wrote:It will be interesting to see how this affects future investments in oil production, after all Forbes readers are generally people who would make these decisions.

Meh. While I'll agree Forbes readers are generally business people and at least aspiring to be capitalists (or the captains of industry), given the generally moderate (and below) quality of MANY of the articles of magazines like Forbes (and many of its peers) -- I strongly doubt the people actually making major investments in anything would waste their time reading it regularly. (Perhaps having a minion scan such periodicals for something actually significant for them, instead. And if you think that such scanning for executives doesn't happen, I had a part time job during college in '78 - '79 scanning EVERY newspaper (in all 120 counties) of KY, looking for ANY articles on energy, clipping, and saving them for my employer -- the head of P.R. at KY Utilities. If ANY issue on energy in the state came up, he had immediate access to all the relevant stories in the press, in a well organized and detailed and long term filing system on energy).)

I would point to "The Economist" as an example of a high quality economics periodical accessible by the layman, to back me up on this. IMO, there is no comparison. The Economist is much more expensive -- and in a class by itself compared to periodicals like Forbes. (I'll include The WSJ in the Forbes quality class, BTW. It's more about marketing, politics, and saving money on editors and proof readers than producing high quality financial journalism, which is why I quit reading it).
Last edited by Outcast_Searcher on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:54:15, edited 1 time in total.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 14:52:43

Doomerism as any sort of movement lost steam in the fall of 2008. The closest thing we have to mainstream doomerism is the climate change movement which is comprised mostly of bright-green libs ala Graeme. Maybe George Monbiot is the most mainstream doomer these days as far as how big his bully pulpit is and how much of a killjoy his message is, but again, it's environment and not energy. OK, maybe the Pope, with his anti-capitalistic message, but he's not talking about peak oil either.

You're bound to have people professing doom, even serious sounding ones. But there aren't many. This guy is no Matt Simmons. Let's see this guy write a book and get in front of the camera on CNN and CNBC. If he really thinks we've got a serious problem he'll do more than write an isolated editorial.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:00:12

When are the two of you just going to get it over with and hate fuck each other?
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:03:15

ennui2 wrote:Doomerism as any sort of movement lost steam in the fall of 2008. The closest thing we have to mainstream doomerism is the climate change movement which is comprised mostly of bright-green libs ala Graeme. Maybe George Monbiot is the most mainstream doomer these days as far as how big his bully pulpit is and how much of a killjoy his message is, but again, it's environment and not energy. OK, maybe the Pope, with his anti-capitalistic message, but he's not talking about peak oil either.

You're bound to have people professing doom, even serious sounding ones. But there aren't many. This guy is no Matt Simmons. Let's see this guy write a book and get in front of the camera on CNN and CNBC. If he really thinks we've got a serious problem he'll do more than write an isolated editorial.

I think if you believe that concern about climate change (i.e. AGW) isn't becoming seriously mainstream, you're deluding yourself. NOT to say we're all as alarmist, as say Lore (and I respect that Lore -- you put effort into understanding your position, so props for that) -- but there is so much evidence against you here (even with many conservative sources now ceding the point that AGW is "real"), that you don't need to turn to even remotely "green" sources to see many meaningful mainstream articles every single week.

(Is there ANY amount of evidence that would get you to take AGW seriously?)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:24:04

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I think if you believe that concern about climate change (i.e. AGW) isn't becoming seriously mainstream, you're deluding yourself.

AGW is trending higher than peak-oil, but surprisingly not as much as you'd think, despite the Pope, more extreme weather events, etc...

Here is google trends for global warming.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q ... %2FGMT%2B5

And for peak oil.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=peak%20oil

All of this stuff has been on a gradually declining trend for years now.

AGW is having a pretty decent uptick, maybe due to the Pope and COP21 and the super-hot Christmas and melting of the North Pole, but it will probably slide back down again.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 15:45:37

ennui2 wrote:All of this stuff has been on a gradually declining trend for years now.

So go elsewhere.
But stop with the incessant trolling for doomers.
People are here to have the discussion or they would go somewhere other than a site called peakoil.com

Consider this a warning.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GHung » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 17:19:45

ennui said; "You are misreading it. By 2011, according to TOD's logic, peak was already 6 years in the past. So it's not that TOD were correct,..."

What would be incorrect is your assertion that there was a consensus at TOD. Opinions there ran the gamut regarding peak/no peak, and the implications. Your saying otherwise is as silly as those of you who claim "America this" or "America that".
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Sun 03 Jan 2016, 17:26:38

Peak Oil is a statistical function. Without doing more work on this than is necessary, we can say with a 97.5% probability that Peak will have occurred if for two consecutive years production has fallen by at least 1.65 mb/d from the previous year. That is based on 49 years of data taken from the EIA; which is about the best that there is. Production fell by more than 1.65 mb/d per year four times over that period, and it fell by a lesser margin from its previous year 14 times over that same period.

To be 99.5% sure that peak had occurred in any year production would have to fall by 5.001 mb/d for that year. Using volumetric data, Peak will not likely be known with any reasonable level of confidence, for at least two years after it has occurred. Use of an energy metric is not so constrained by such limitations.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion