Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 12:44:01

Revi,

Good article, thanks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 21:48:23

I thought it was a pretty good one by Gail. It's shorter than a lot of her posts, but much doomier. I think it's very possible that we'll have an economic downturn very soon.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 13 Jan 2019, 08:34:08

Yeah, who knows. I’ve stopped following a lot of threads here because, despite their best efforts, no one really seems to be able to predict much of anything in the relative short span.

We could go another year, or 5, or 50, or Thursday. IMHO it’s all too complex to make any meaningful predictions. Christ, who would have predicted the last Presidential election with those two clowns? And that is much simpler.

I think it’s abundently clear we will experience a strong period of degrowth/crash/collapse with 50-100 years. It that’s not realy very useful today.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby marmico » Sun 13 Jan 2019, 12:10:12

Puhleeze. Another Tverberg annual projection. She has only been wrong for 9 consecutive years. Maybe she gets lucky in year 10. Don't confuse skill with luck.

The second sentence is classic:

The issue, as I see it, is that the world economy is gradually changing from a growth mode to a mode of shrinkage.

Does that mean that the world economy is moving from expansion to contraction?

My guess is that she will be wrong for 10 consecutive years. Start showing the 2019 shrinkages, Tverberg. No need to go country by country. Just 2 projections - the growth rates for the Advanced Economies and the Emerging Market and Developing Economies will be fine.

marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 13:40:04

I read the book, and it's interesting to be studied like an anthropological study. I wonder if we are like a lost tribe. There aren't many real Peakists left!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby marmico » Tue 15 Jan 2019, 13:09:56

What 1972 book did you read Revi? Club of Rome Limits to Growth or Alvin Toffler's Future Shock. I don't think you could read in 1972, Revi.

I'm only commenting because you brought up Tverberg - in her world every corner is doomerville and every bed has a monster underneath.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 11:45:38

marmico wrote:What 1972 book did you read Revi? Club of Rome Limits to Growth or Alvin Toffler's Future Shock. I don't think you could read in 1972, Revi.

I'm only commenting because you brought up Tverberg - in her world every corner is doomerville and every bed has a monster underneath.

I am talking about the book that is the subject of this thread. It's called Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism and Libertarian Political Culture. I've been reading since around 1964, when I was five. Have you read the book that this thread is about Marmico?
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Book/Media Reviews