Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why the oil industry has buried the idea of "peak oil"

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Why the oil industry has buried the idea of "peak oil"

Unread postby Rune » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:36:17

European Energy Review

In this article I will not undertake an exhaustive re-examination of the peak oil theory and its counter-arguments, but I will attempt to assess the lessons from the roller-coaster of the oil market of the last four years. I will discuss four areas in which key evidence has emerged explaining recent oil history and supporting a broadly optimistic view on our oil future: OPEC policy; new exploration plays and advances in unconventional oil; the reaction of the economy to oil shocks; and geopolitics, particularly in the world's oil hub, the Middle East.

Intellectually, the peak oil movement appears to have moved on to preparation for collapse (or at least an end to growth). Peak oil has become conflated with other real or potential crises: the recession, climate change and overpopulation.

This is very reminiscent of the 1970s, and indeed features of OPEC strategy, rising costs, new resource types and technologies are also familiar. There are clearly different ways the oil market may evolve over the next five to ten years. A continuation of high prices in the face of production disappointments and strong Asian growth is plausible. So is a kind of re-run of the 1980s, with new supplies, growing efficiency and intra-OPEC competition driving down prices. What is not on the horizon is a resource-limited peak in production, nor an associated economic collapse.

Good, detailed article.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Why the oil industry has buried the idea of "peak oil"

Unread postby Arthur75 » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:43:01

lol
Arthur75
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dsula » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 14:59:17

it's not worth waiting for the effects of po to kick in. It's a slow 200 year grind down.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dsula » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 15:20:46

Yeah-but the slope is awfully gentle and some of the slack is even absorbed by NG. No doubt po/p-energy will eventually destroy our way of life and also reduce population. But it takes way longer than anticipated. There's so much fat and excess to trim, it will take many decades before po forces a radical lifestyle change upon us. Best is not to wait for it.
I'm as disappointed as you are. I liked the imminent doom.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 15:23:11

If'n we are awash with oil - gas proces should be DOWN not UP!

vision-master

Unread postby Rune » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 16:56:21

vision-master wrote:If'n we are awash with oil - gas proces should be DOWN not UP!

You didn't read the article.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dissident » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 18:37:53

dsula wrote:Yeah-but the slope is awfully gentle and some of the slack is even absorbed by NG. No doubt po/p-energy will eventually destroy our way of life and also reduce population. But it takes way longer than anticipated. There's so much fat and excess to trim, it will take many decades before po forces a radical lifestyle change upon us. Best is not to wait for it.
I'm as disappointed as you are. I liked the imminent doom.

There may be a lot of fat to trim but regardless it is not plausible that the all-time world production curve will be symmetric around the peak. Just by the demand stress on existing oil fields and the rapid development of the diminishing new finds there will be a shift of the future production tail towards the time of the peak, i.e. now. The area under the curve (i.e. total future production) is not going to change, much, but the steepness will. This automatically accounts for a plateau or slow initial post-peak decline. Unless world demands starts to drop significantly from now the pressure to bring oil to market will progressively steepen the future decline rate. But this will not happen without a serious economic contraction.

The Hubbert curve would be symmetric if we had world economic and even population decline that mirrored its increase until the peak. Or alternative energy sources became serious contenders and rapidly. World governments are dithering about nuclear and the "green" alternatives forecasts are simply whack.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 18:55:00

I wonder if the trimming of the fat includes the rising expectations of the growing Chinese and Indian middle classes for continued economic growth and progress. The revolutions often happen when people had hope and rising expectations and then become angry when they are denied. Add to that a huge youth bulge, and in China, a surplus of about 50 million men who will never have wives or families. Does trimming the American "fat" include relocating a hundred million Americans from the suburbs?

I predict that China will have a revolution in the future, from a leader who will promise the Chinese to get their fair share of oil, perhaps from the greedy Americans who have priced them out of the market. Or perhaps they will collapse the US economy. In any event, in 15 or 20 years when there are multiple massive resource wars, I'm going to think of this article and laugh. Maybe I'll print it out, in case there is a perpetual black out in the future.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dsula » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 07:48:00

dissident wrote: The area under the curve (i.e. total future production) is not going to change, much, but the steepness will. This automatically accounts for a plateau or slow initial post-peak decline. Unless world demands starts to drop significantly from now the pressure to bring oil to market will progressively steepen the future decline rate.

That of course is questionable. As high price makes additional reserves viable. Heroic effort (manpower and industrial output) will be put to work in extracting this oil. The decline will then gently go on for decades.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dsula » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 07:50:42

rangerone314 wrote: In any event, in 15 or 20 years when there are multiple massive resource wars,

Exactly, it's always next year, or in 5 years, or in 20 years.
Listen to Kunstler, he's predicting doom next week, for how long now?
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby radon » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 08:05:38

dsula wrote:Listen to Kunstler, he's predicting doom next week, for how long now?

Good point, but one feature of a fast crush is that it always comes unexpected.
radon

Unread postby kiwichick » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:50:16

USGS reduces estimate of yet to find oil from 649 billion barrels to 565 billion barrels
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:09:50

Doomer says he will laugh when proven right in 20 years.

:lol: :lol:

I love this forum.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:25:42

dsula wrote:
dissident wrote: The area under the curve (i.e. total future production) is not going to change, much, but the steepness will. This automatically accounts for a plateau or slow initial post-peak decline. Unless world demands starts to drop significantly from now the pressure to bring oil to market will progressively steepen the future decline rate.

That of course is questionable. As high price makes additional reserves viable. Heroic effort (manpower and industrial output) will be put to work in extracting this oil. The decline will then gently go on for decades.

What is questionable? There is only so much oil and sorta-oil. No question about that.

"high price makes additional reserves viable" = high demand brings production forward = "pressure to bring oil to market will progressively steepen the future decline rate"

What, besides wishful thinking, will cause "The decline will then gently go on for decades" if we will take heroic measures to keep increasing production?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:26:50

kiwichick wrote:USGS reduces estimate of yet to find oil from 649 billion barrels to 565 billion barrels

Where did you see that KC?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion