Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Waiting for Peak Oil...Quietly Waiting

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Waiting for Peak Oil

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 14 Aug 2005, 01:58:28

Somehow, I think this thread of mine is due for a timely bump up.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby turmoil » Sun 14 Aug 2005, 03:19:17

i find that reading long threads backwards is actually more effective for scanning. I think this has to do with the quotes...

that said... *still reading*
"If you are a real seeker after truth, it's necessary that at least once in your life you doubt all things as far as possible"-Rene Descartes

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Kylon » Sun 14 Aug 2005, 04:03:10

I think that if you want the news to pick up on it, you should contact the news agencies, and sell the idea to them like this.

Fear sells, if you get everyone concerned about the Peak Oil problem, then everyone will always need to find out about what to do.

If media corporations understand one thing, it's that fear sells.

They will gladly scare the tar out of people, if they can make some money while doing it.

Also, it would be good to contact the major political parties about this, and try to get them involved. At the very least you could get the Green Party, which would raise awareness, and once awareness was raised, it would spread like wildfire.

There are also groups you should be targetting that would spread info about Peak Oil.

Religious fundamentalist would gladly propogate it for their own intents and purposes.

Hippies, or any other nature lover or environmentalist would attach themselves to this, or at the very least have a higher probability of attaching themselves to this.

Last but not least, people who are on the fringe of society, whether they be goths and nihilist, woodsmen and survivalist types, conspiracy theorist nuts, or the like, they will be the most likely candidates to accept this mentality. They have nothing to lose, and everything to gain from this version of reality.

The well established people, including academics, generally have too much to lose pyschologically, and socially, since they want to go with the rest of the group, and do what is socially acceptable, until everyone else starts saying this is what's going on, they won't accept it. Many academics will accept it, who aren't caught up in societies views.

Funny, the most superficial people are going to be the ones who get fried.
The ones who have the most, may end up being the ones that have the least.
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby CraigX » Mon 15 Aug 2005, 05:39:25

$68 a barrel...I think we are there. Peak doesn't mean the end of oil. It means our ability to get it out of the ground any faster has peaked, but the demand has not peaked because oil, although toxic, is an efficient source of energy, so we can expect the price to keep rising. There is no more waiting we are there. CraigX.com
CraigX
Wood
Wood

Unread postby The_Virginian » Mon 15 Aug 2005, 06:02:55

yep we have arrived...exxon down 4%, shell down 1%, chevron down 6%...the majors are down in production, saudi can't ramp up SWEET arab crude (in itself a downgrade from "sweet light") , non production Opec also disappionting, and oil speculation has "gone wild."

Iraq would have given some gains, but they will not have their (our?) house in order untill it will be too late (e.g. wont make up for saudi depeltion)

2005 the (non Geologicaly theoretic potetial) de facto PEAK OIL.
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby holmes » Mon 15 Aug 2005, 13:28:24

I ride bike and walk 95% of the time. The additives and quality of gas must be changing. cuz I smell several different nasty odors coming out of exausts. It has gotten more filthy and vile on the roads in the past year. Who the fuck knows what is going on there.!?

diesel is definately a filthy polluting source. I just observe sometimes the lines of traffic on a hot day and all the heat and fumes coming out of the tailpipes. and the stench. and this is in the "country". Yeah. No such thing really in this overindustrialized society. the filth and noise is everywhere. no such thing as a pristine ecosystem. too late for that.
and our pollution isnt changing the homeostasis. LOL. Ya got to be a real inbred to not understand the scale. I just cant believe we are still arguing over these things. Definately waiting and it aint gonna get better. The market will change it all. LOL.
holmes
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DaveA » Sat 20 Aug 2005, 23:31:56

Pfish wrote:
retiredguy wrote: Suppose the US concurs and pulls most of the troops out of Iraq.

Uhhhhh, not a chance in hell this is ever going to happen. We are in Iraq and quite possibly Iran within 5 years. All this saber rattling by the current administration about Iranian Nukes is setting the stage for a possible invasion by future administrations.

Think of it this way, if 98% of the world is going to be net importers within 3 years—increasing reliance on the middle east for the next ~20 years—do you think the US will let any government dictate how much oil we can import? Not a chance. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever. At some point The US is going to pull back in Iraq and protect themselves and the oil fields in the south.

We didn’t build 16 permanent military bases to abandon them at the first sign of trouble. We own the skies in the Middle East. We own the ocean surrounding the Middle East. But the US military minds have not figured out how to win a street fight…….

We have as much chance of pulling out as Shawn Kemp!

Depending whatever far fetched story they put down the gullet of the public, we may not have to win street fights, we may just level any cities in our path - heck if we were Nazi Germany in Iraq we wouldn't have bothered with any of this "Reconstruction" nonsense, the place would be a giant crater.

Is that to say we will get as bad as Nazi Germany? God I hope not. Is that to say we aren't CAPABLE of it? Well of course, desperation is a powerful tool for whoever may be in office when PO hits to convince us to do whatever is required (or some lame terrorism based excuse), why do I say whoever? I personally believe we have long enough that Bush will be out of the white house by the time it hits.

Maybe the Democratic candidate in 2008 can use peak oil as a platform for his campaign?
DaveA
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Dan1195 » Sun 21 Aug 2005, 16:28:26

Even if the general public is reading the PO related articles (such as the NY Times opinion piece) and even if they buy the Campbell argument 100% people still seem to take this like Global Warming, thinking "not in my lifetime", and even if it is, Hydrogen, Fusion Power and more oil shale (if it came to that) then we can count will solve things. They still believe oil will drop will drop back to 20 a barrel on a sustained basis again.

Most people just have no interest in water cut rates in Ghawar, how (in)accurate reserves data is, etc. To them its just an esoteric geopolitical discussion like the ins and outs of the 6 party talks wih N. Korea are to diplomacy.

The public doesnt understand the processes/confusion data, so they just read the "we have 40 years of oil left" and move on. By the time the average Joe figues it out we will almost certainly be on the downslope.

Regarding using it as Campaign flatform. Trying to tell the voters ur economy is going to tank and ur going to have to change your lifestyle isnt going to win many votes. They want to hear that they can still get chep electronics and Wal-Mart even if they dispise the outsourcing itself.
Dan1195
Lignite
Lignite

Quietly Waiting

Unread postby MD » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 07:17:36

{Merged by MQ}

With the cheap-flow plateau confirmed to near certainty, we now wait for outcomes.

Thus seems the tone of the board.

Now is the time to be alert, not complacent. The news to come will be very telling.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Re: Quietly Waiting

Unread postby whereagles » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 09:17:19

What can we do but waiting? None of us has executive power to change things.

I guess we could demonstrate, but.. :p
whereagles
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ayame » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 09:20:40

MD wrote:we now wait for outcomes.

Indeed.

I have my ears to the ground.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Fergus » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 11:43:56

I think this is the position many are forced to be in. We on the board have a general idea whats gunna happen. We are just waiting for it too happen. All the prep you can do will amount to nothing in the grand scheme of things. But its something to do while we wait. Who knows, maybe someone got it right and planned accordingly, but till the other shoe drops we dont even know if we are gunna have to run or bunker down, fight the neighbors or embrace em in the start of a new way of life. What crashes first, the economy or the oil or the food supply or nerves of the 6.4 billion pple crammed onto a world that can support maybe 1-2 billion.

I mean, what do you expect. We have informed ourselves to the best of our ability, we have made preps for what we think will happen. We have tried to warn others, maybe we have gotten tired of that and no longer care about warning others. But the fact remains, we are all poised for an event no one knows when its coming, from what quarter, what impact it will have on us locally, nationally or globally. There comes a point when all you can do is sit back and wait. I think thats where we are at now. Just waiting for a flash to light the fuse just so we can see what is coming, what we will need to do and what chance in hell we have of making through this quagmire that we made of this world.

I know I am to this point. Far from complete in the prep department, I almost dont care anymore. I just want the bubble to pop so the chips start falling and I can make my next move based on whats happening then. Till then, I just run scenario after scenario through my mind and wonder what I will do when this happens or that happens. If we wait much longer, I will be too damn old to do anything. If I gotta fight for my life, I want it to be when I am capable of doing so.
Fergus
Coal
Coal

Unread postby topcat » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 11:55:18

Fergus said:

I know I am to this point. Far from complete in the prep department, I almost dont care anymore. I just want the bubble to pop so the chips start falling and I can make my next move based on whats happening then. Till then, I just run scenario after scenario through my mind and wonder what I will do when this happens or that happens. If we wait much longer, I will be too damn old to do anything. If I gotta fight for my life, I want it to be when I am capable of doing so.

Triple ditto here. You are not alone!
topcat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby NEOPO » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:13:39

I think I would rather change my life and wait it out in an ecovillage setting learning valueable skills.

These bastards will manipulate this to where 1st worlder sheeple will not know how bad it is until one day its just really really bad.
We will kill for and steal oil until we cannot and then it will be bad for us as well.

Just do what uncle ronny and aunt nancy always taught ya "just say no".
Say no to pollution, no to oil, no to the grid that will eventually require vast amounts of coal and nuclear, no to war, no to the system that fucks us all!
:)
It is easier to enslave a people that wish to remain free then it is to free a people who wish to remain enslaved.
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Quicksilver » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:40:23

Up until a week ago I was mainly concerned about peak oil. Now it looks as if peak natural gas is imminent as well (according to the latest data posted at The Oil Drum)

We're so screwed :(
Last edited by Quicksilver on Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:42:57, edited 1 time in total.
He who controls the spice controls the universe.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist" – Kenneth Boulding
Quicksilver
Peat
Peat

Unread postby NEOPO » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:41:25

Quicksilver wrote:Up until a week ago I was mainly concerned about peak oil. Now it looks as if peak natural gas is imminent as well (according to the latest graphs posted at The Oil Drum)

At least you live in an amish paradise :o
It is easier to enslave a people that wish to remain free then it is to free a people who wish to remain enslaved.
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Quicksilver » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:50:45

NEOPO wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:Up until a week ago I was mainly concerned about peak oil. Now it looks as if peak natural gas is imminent as well (according to the latest graphs posted at The Oil Drum)

At least you live in an amish paradise :o

With computers, electricity and high-speed internet :-D
He who controls the spice controls the universe.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist" – Kenneth Boulding
Quicksilver
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JPL » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:54:11

Fergus wrote:But the fact remains, we are all poised for an event no one knows when its coming, from what quarter, what impact it will have on us locally, nationally or globally. There comes a point when all you can do is sit back and wait. I think thats where we are at now. Just waiting for a flash to light the fuse just so we can see what is coming, what we will need to do and what chance in hell we have of making through this quagmire that we made of this world.

So can you handle a pitchfork, brother?

...All that is necessary for Evil to triumph is that good men do nothing

;o)

JPL
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby perdition79 » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 15:00:52

Fergus wrote:I know I am to this point. Far from complete in the prep department, I almost dont care anymore. I just want the bubble to pop so the chips start falling and I can make my next move based on whats happening then. Till then, I just run scenario after scenario through my mind and wonder what I will do when this happens or that happens. If we wait much longer, I will be too damn old to do anything. If I gotta fight for my life, I want it to be when I am capable of doing so.

You will never be "complete" in the prep department, because you can never feel completely prepared for six billion monkeys fighting for survival. Just build up your stockpiles, so you can wait it out a few months while the monkeys go medieval on each others' respective asses.
http://www.thepeoplescube.com/

"We are building a religion; we are building it bigger. We are widening the corridors and adding more lanes."
Cake - Comfort Eagle
perdition79
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Last_Laff » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 16:05:18

Should I just keep on looking for work that I recently graduated?
Last_Laff
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion