Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Deception Behind Oil's Future

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

The Deception Behind Oil's Future

Unread postby Newsseeker » Fri 23 Mar 2007, 20:30:24

Baltimore, MD--Oil prices over the next ten years are going to alter the way our world operates. Peak oil is the reason. Oil companies may denounce peak oil as a "myth," but in a few short years they'll have nothing more to hide behind.

http://www.energyandcapital.com/article ... esting/388
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The Deception Behind Oil's Future

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 08 May 2007, 18:36:59

Its all well and good to talk about 4 trillion more bbls being beneath our feet if we want to pay the price to extract it, but IMO that ignores both the energy and funding which would be sucked out of the economy to pay for everything else under the sun.

If you use wind or Fission or Solar PV electricity to manufacture an artificial fuel you have to put in time, energy, and complicated chemical processing to undue the combustion which got you to this point. You can do this, and in theory you can scale up the plants to manufacture as much synthetic fuel as you care to make, but it won't be cheap and at best it will be an energy storage and transport system like the Ammonia IC engines we discussed a few times in the last couple years.

The simple fact is, no matter what scheme you come up with nothing will ever give you the small package convenience coupled with the energy density of Petroleum. Fission has more energy but requires much more complicated systems to safely extract work from that energy. Solar and Wind are free, but diffuse and low density compared to Oil. Geothermal and Hydroelectric are capital intensive and in some circumstances can have a high payoff, but require a long payback period compared to a 1954 or even 1969 era Oil Well.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Valdemar » Tue 08 May 2007, 18:56:42

You never know. Ford may just resurrect the Nucleon for our future suburban journeys.

I can sure go for the fuel economy on that beast.
"Nothing survives. Not your parents. Not your children. Not even stars."
-Pinbacker, Sunshine
Valdemar
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 08 May 2007, 20:10:29

Valdemar wrote:You never know. Ford may just resurrect the Nucleon for our future suburban journeys.

Now I have heard everything...well not quite but I thought I knew the history of nuclear proposals pretty well. I have seen many proposals for ships, and a few for locomotive engines, even a couple for Semi-Tractor rigs foir pulling multiple trailers. This is the first time i have heard of using a reactor for a personal automobile, though I have read abotu nuclear electric cars running on Pu-238 thermoelectric or phosphor-tritium atomic batteries.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newsseeker » Tue 08 May 2007, 21:12:19

Tanada wrote:
Valdemar wrote:You never know. Ford may just resurrect the Nucleon for our future suburban journeys.

Now I have heard everything...well not quite but I thought I knew the history of nuclear proposals pretty well. I have seen many proposals for ships, and a few for locomotive engines, even a couple for Semi-Tractor rigs foir pulling multiple trailers. This is the first time i have heard of using a reactor for a personal automobile, though I have read abotu nuclear electric cars running on Pu-238 thermoelectric or phosphor-tritium atomic batteries.

Wouldn't want to get in an accident with that vehicle, though.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 08 May 2007, 22:25:01

Newsseeker wrote:
Tanada wrote:

If radiation lived up to its hype we would all be dead by now.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newsseeker » Wed 09 May 2007, 08:29:06

Tanada wrote:
Newsseeker wrote:
Tanada wrote:

If radiation lived up to its hype we would all be dead by now.

True but I'm not gonna be eating polonium 210 sushi anytime soon :lol:
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion