Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Updated - Shows Effects of GW

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Updated - Shows Effects of GW

Unread postby Lore » Thu 26 Jan 2012, 22:08:18

Finally after over twenty years the USDA has updated their plant hardiness zone map. The new map shows a pronounced shift to the North in warmer growing zones among many areas of the country.

In my area we went from zone 5b to 6a. New interactive map follows.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Re: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Updated - Shows Effects of GW

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 00:06:06

Sometimes a fairly subtle shift in climate can bring in new diseases, like apple rust.

Some people might see specific varieties of plants crap out in the heat, but a bigger concern might be the early bearing fruit varieties that won't stay dormant in a mild February, then slammed by a late frost.

I like the jujubes becaue they won't bud until long after the last possible date for frost, then they love they heat.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 06:14:56

On the one hand I am glad they finally updated it, on the other hand I am puzzled. Normally the map is a 30 year average going from for example 1961-1990 while this map is 1976-2005. I know certain parties refused to update the map to 1971-2000 when it was due to be updated but I kind of expected this one to be 1981-2010 not 1976-2005. Basically all they did was take the Arbor Day zone map of 2006 and make it official. http://www.arborday.org/media/map_change.cfm

My zone has also shifted from 5 to 6, so less harsh winter temps.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:38:58

These maps are only marginally valuable.

If you compare a zone 8b in Washington state to a zone 8b in Texas, the types of plants one can grow are wildly different.
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:57:06

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Loki » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 17:03:33

dohboi wrote:Does anyone have a link to the previous map?

related link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/story/2012-01-26/USDA-climate-zone-map/52787142/1

http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Animation shows the change in zones.

Another display:
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Loki » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 17:08:36

Pablo2079 wrote:These maps are only marginally valuable.

If you compare a zone 8b in Washington state to a zone 8b in Texas, the types of plants one can grow are wildly different.

True, the USDA zone map is only average annual minimum temperature. Important factor for plants, but not the only one. There are other systems that consider other factors, Sunset for example.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 18:42:02

We did not get below 25 F this winter in North Texas. That's at least a full 10 F warmer than usual and has never happened before. Usually we have a couple weeks in January of low teens, even an occasional single digit, with highs never breaking above 20F.

Instead, we had a whole slew of days in the 70s with only a handlul of overnight lows breaking the freezing mark.

I'm not complaining for the loss of winter. It's this coming summer I'm dreading.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Fri 27 Jan 2012, 21:41:42

It's interesting in all the media reports the anecdotal observations of old timers witnessing the growth of plants much farther North then they have seen in their lifetimes.

The fact that this a quick, broad movement in temps and not localized adds to the concern.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sun 29 Jan 2012, 23:11:18

Cid_Yama wrote:We did not get below 25 F this winter in North Texas. That's at least a full 10 F warmer than usual and has never happened before. Usually we have a couple weeks in January of low teens, even an occasional single digit, with highs never breaking above 20F.
Instead, we had a whole slew of days in the 70s with only a handlul of overnight lows breaking the freezing mark.
I'm not complaining for the loss of winter. It's this coming summer I'm dreading.

It's like that all over the country even though I thought this was going to be a cold wet La Nina year kicked off by the Halloween snow storm at State College PA. And it seems like it's this way in the Southern Hemisphere as well, which has been roasting.

So WSJ runs an article denying AGW - I think they are getting desperate and frightened.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 29 Jan 2012, 23:48:59

PrestonSturges wrote:
So WSJ runs an article denying AGW - I think they are getting desperate and frightened.

The Rupert Murdoch media spin machine attempting to tamp down what's becoming way to obvious for the average person to ignore. You would have thought though they could have come up with a better script and more credible signatories.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 30 Jan 2012, 00:39:03

We tied for the latest first temp below 0 F this year in Minneapolis. And that was the only dip below 0. This is very strange for this area. We can have weeks were it gets below zero every night.

Forty two forecast for tomorrows high and high thirties thereafter. Major winter festivities are being canceled or postponed. Almost no snow on the ground...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 17:27:14

Tulips are popping up in Western Washington and last night I heard frogs croaking. I think this activity is about 4-6 weeks early.
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 17 Feb 2012, 09:39:42

They closed the ice rinks in the parks around here in the middle of January. A few of them reopened when the temperatures dipped briefly into the sub-zero zone, but now we're well up above freezing every day. The norm for February is to see very few temps above freezing the entire month.

I walk most places I go, and usually it is snow piles and ice one has to watch out for this time of year here. This year it is puddles and mud, which I associate more with April than Feb.

We had a very warm spring a few years ago when I put in peas on the first of March, and most of them sprouted, though it took a while. I'm wondering if I can start planting even earlier this year.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 07 Jul 2016, 10:16:59

Gardeners have come to rely on USDA Hardiness Zone Maps to tell us what plants will survive locally. The USDA released updated Plant Hardiness Zone Maps for the United States in 2012. Plant zones are based on the average annual minimum temperature over a 30-year period, not the lowest temperature the thermometer has ever hit, but rather the average.

These are guides to help a gardener determine which plants will survive in their garden. These are not steadfast rules, but rather guides to supplement other garden factors like soil quality, sun exposure, moisture and sudden or prolonged temperature swings. These combined local variables affect how well plants do.

Microclimates are variations within a hardiness zone, even within the radius of a gardeners yard. Trust the knowledge gained of your property and your gardens. Hardiness Zone is goodstarting point as you read plant labels here at Watters Garden Center.

http://www.prescottenews.com/index.php/ ... s-zone-map
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby careinke » Fri 08 Jul 2016, 13:24:07

Figuring out the microclimates on your property, and planting them correctly, will make a HUGE difference in your productivity, and make your life a LOT easier. 8)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 08 Jul 2016, 13:31:43

Tanada wrote:On the one hand I am glad they finally updated it, on the other hand I am puzzled. Normally the map is a 30 year average going from for example 1961-1990 while this map is 1976-2005. I know certain parties refused to update the map to 1971-2000 when it was due to be updated but I kind of expected this one to be 1981-2010 not 1976-2005. Basically all they did was take the Arbor Day zone map of 2006 and make it official. http://www.arborday.org/media/map_change.cfm

My zone has also shifted from 5 to 6, so less harsh winter temps.

And with all the fun with polar vortices and such, we get extremes on both ends. Several recent winters with average temps some months so warm it was like we never had winter. And a couple of winters where we had record temperatures or snowfalls, twice (or more).

So the new zones are applicable -- except when they aren't. The bad winters killed a hell of a lot of my perennials which I had planted in 2012, based on the newer zones (which I had seen published in gardening books in places like Home Depot).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 27 Sep 2018, 22:59:06

Arborday Foundation has now updated their map from 2006 to 2015 for those interested in additional changes to the base climate. For comparison ease I am posting both the 2006 and 2015 updates, there are some subtle changes over the last 9 years between maps.

Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 27 Sep 2018, 23:12:09

2006 zones.png

2015 Zones.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 Sep 2018, 08:24:34

Thanks Tanada,

Good info.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate