Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US oil floated on cheap money

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 23:03:29

How much has the US oil industry been inflated, crushed and generally distorted by the Federal Reserve’s monetary force-feeding over the past nine years? According to my probing along the stages of production and trading, the answer is “a lot”. Yes, there have been dramatic developments in hydrocarbon production technology, but those looked even better through the distorted lens of quantitative easing. Oil and gas pricing have now stabilised, in the sense of finding a finance-friendly range somewhere north of $50 per barrel. There have been lay-offs and bankruptcies, but fewer than in the oil bust of the 1980s. Manhattan and Oklahoma City were treated relatively well by quantitative easing. In many ways it is easier for cheap money to find its way into the energy business than into the rest of the US economy, thanks to the breadth, depth

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: US oil floated on cheap money

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:02:50

Drilling economics have always been dominated by oil/NG prices…not interest rates. We had the same low interest rates when the rig count dropped from 1,700+ to less then 500. That correlates with oil prices falling from $90+/bbl to less then $40/bbl. While earning low rates on earnings encourages investors to look for alternatives nothing fuels the greed factor like high oil/NG prices.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance