Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Navy may intercept Iranian ships' weapons cargoes

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: US Navy may intercept Iranian ships' weapons cargoes

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 22 Apr 2015, 03:27:47

KaiserJeep wrote:So I say we retire from the region, and let the Europeans deal with the Iranians. If they blow the oil fields up, the USA is better positioned and prepared than any other country to survive the ensuing crisis.

So let the Europeans deal personally with the Mullahs. I say we withdraw from NATO and pull back all our troops, and let the Europeans personally absorb all the nuclear attacks from the Mullahs. One way or the other, that will silence their incessant complaining.

Well, I must half-way agree with you, there.

There's a lot of strategic sense to start thinking about just pulling out of ALL of this. Out of Europe. OUT of the pacific. OUT of the middle east.

And here's what's interesting -- our allies do not actually NEED us. They have their own armies. They have navies. We actually sold them to them, and they are all nicely equipped. They can handle things themselves, in our absence, and we are saved the great expense and blood of our own, and trouble of it all.

So, I do wonder.. in these Obama years, with his lack of action, you actually see the old allies figuring something else out instead. There have been cases of Saudi Arabia actually working with ISRAEl -- of all people -- on some things. If the USA is just gone, then strategically a KSA and Israel are partners, in opposing Iran.

And in the Pacific -- as we have pulled back, Japan has stepped up for its own defense so much more. And Japan, and Australia, are talking to each other more. **We actually do not have to be in all these places anymore, they actually can just do it themselves**.

Especially the Europeans -- they have more money than we do!!!!

Yet they get to just spend like 1% gdp on military and push all that burden onto us. Maybe we should back out of all these places, let them defend themselves, LET them have their wars -- just being selfish, you are right Kaiser, isolationism and the rest of the world going to hell in a handbasket would do nothing but enrich us and make us better off.

Everyone hates the USA for doing too much, yet they don't realize we would do so much better for ourselves if we really did just let the world suffer and muddle along and have its little wars -- we could be a city on a hill, the most safe and stable place on this entire planet, with all other corners of the globe encircled with troubles.

Our near abroad is nice and peaceful. Maybe we really don't need all this crap over there in Europe, in the ME, in the Pacific.

Having said the above -- I seriously don't mind if the USS Teddy Roosevelt gets a big stick out, the Iranian forces have had it coming ever since the hostage crisis.

P.S. Just on second thought, regarding isolationism -- Kaiser, the muslim extremist terrorists are actually considered a top threat for Europe, UK, Australia, and us. So that's part of this thing about Yemen. AQAP is based there, they did those attacks in France. If we've decided we have to fight AQAP, then that means we have to kick Iran out of Yemen so we can get back in there to keep a lid on Al Queda.

My own personal opinion is that muslim extremist terrorists are actually a bigger thread to the rest of the West, than to us. We probably really could be neutral, and rather than bother us, the muslim extremists would bother Europe and Britain, that already have such large populations of disaffected muslims in the first place.

So it could go either way, but if we have committed to fighting the terrorism and standing with the allies, then yes you really do need to go clean up Yemen. The attacks in France were like a 9/11 for them. The attacks came from AQAP, in Yemen. Ergo, Yemen should be got a handle on, not just let it go for Iran to create some mess of a place where all the West's terrorist enemies can have base camps in.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 22 Apr 2015, 04:04:27

Well, I see what I already have posted at the start of this thread has now occurred to someone else:

Report: Obama knew Netanyahu was right about Iran’s nuclear break out time all along
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/04/21/report-obama-knew-netanyahu-was-right-about-irans-nuclear-break-out-time-all-along/

NETANYAHU WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG, about Iran's breakout time for getting the bomb.

Obama admin just came out the other day and said "look guys, they're gonna have the bomb in 2 months if we don't do something."

This is after YEARS and even up until very RECENTLY of Obama admin and Democrats always saying Netanyahu was exaggerating!!!!

I've seen this on Jon Stewart show before, making fun of Netanyahu for saying how close Iran is to going nuclear.

I wonder if Jon Stewart will apologize, now. Or if anyone in the Obama admin will apologize, now that their own estimates are FAR SOONER than Netanyahu has ever said. Apparently they always knew it, even as they criticized Netanyahu for supposedly exaggerating.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 22 Apr 2015, 14:55:24

KaiserJeep wrote:So I say we retire from the region, and let the Europeans deal with the Iranians. If they blow the oil fields up, the USA is better positioned and prepared than any other country to survive the ensuing crisis.

So let the Europeans deal personally with the Mullahs. I say we withdraw from NATO and pull back all our troops, and let the Europeans personally absorb all the nuclear attacks from the Mullahs. One way or the other, that will silence their incessant complaining.

Time to talk Libertarian again. I never was either a Republican or Democrat, and frankly both major parties are too enamored of the role as world policeman for my tastes. Let the Europeans handle a local problem themselves. They can have as much security as they are collectively willing to pay for.

Hear hear. Or at least, how about a middle ground? How about we charge for patrolling the M.E. oil routes like the Strait of Hormuz with our fleet? We could charge by, say, the proportion of oil a region buys from Middle Eastern tankers.

Clearly the Europeans would get a hefty chunk of the roughly $250 billion a year we spend "protecting" Middle Eastern oil interests. And clearly we should pay the roughly 13% that is our share (at least as of 2012).

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802 ... -surprised

And if the other countries complain instead of being willing to pay? Well then, we pull out, after some reasonable period of warning. We can devote part of that $250 billion to conservation efforts to compensate. And spend the other perhaps $200 billion on something CONSTRUCTIVE like education or infrastructure, which benefits the entire US society.

But no, let's not do anything like that, since the current system works so "well", at least for the US military industrial complex. :-x
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 22 Apr 2015, 15:08:47

Sixstrings wrote:This is after YEARS and even up until very RECENTLY of Obama admin and Democrats always saying Netanyahu was exaggerating!!!!

I've seen this on Jon Stewart show before, making fun of Netanyahu for saying how close Iran is to going nuclear.

I wonder if Jon Stewart will apologize, now. Or if anyone in the Obama admin will apologize, now that their own estimates are FAR SOONER than Netanyahu has ever said. Apparently they always knew it, even as they criticized Netanyahu for supposedly exaggerating.

I'm not generally a fan of the Obama administration, but I think you give them far too much credit for what they "know" or knew in advance.

The US military intelligent apparatus isn't necessarily brilliantly successful in "knowing" stuff ahead of time.

Like how prepared and aware they were of dealing with a 911 style attack in advance. (zero)

Like the CIA being surprised when Pakistan and India got the bomb. Funny that, since I learned they were getting close to having the bomb in the 5th grade (45 years ago).

Like the military being absolutely convinced of the WMD's in Iraq prior to the 2003 Iraq war.

To me, this is just more Obama blundering. And we have SO much of that to look forward to when the Hildebeast takes over, given her track record. :x
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 00:07:26

Sixstrings wrote: I've also heard, in the news, that apparently Iranian backed militias and such are almost as bad as the ISIS ones
Those would be the same ones you backed during the al-Maliki regime. They haven't changed.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 00:51:17

Keith_McClary wrote:
Sixstrings wrote: I've also heard, in the news, that apparently Iranian backed militias and such are almost as bad as the ISIS ones
Those would be the same ones you backed during the al-Maliki regime. They haven't changed.

Well.. if it were up to me.. when we do go to war and occupy a place, which is very rare, but when we do it -- then the best thing to do is what MacArthur did in Japan.

You must occupy the place for a good number of years. You must write their new constitution, and help remake their society into something that will be an American ally for generations.

But what the federal government did instead, was just hold democratic elections too fast, and just left it all up to the Iraqis. And what happened after that was that the Shia took over the whole country and that caused all the other problems.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 02:31:54

An update from the Armed Forces Network in Greece: the cargo ships are heading back to Iran.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics