Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US could walk all over Russia...

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Unread postby allenwrench » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 15:49:38

I believe that war with Russia is inevitable, and that George Bush and Dick Cheney is secretly preparing for war with Russia by securing Asian energy sources and rally up allies in Eastern Europe. Although, Russia has obviously provoked the West and refuse to establish a more solid relationship with the United States, a relationship that the US has been seeking since the end of the Cold War. The truth is, Russia is no prepared for conventional war with US and won't be prepared for a while. US is the dominate force when it comes to war. US greatly dominate in Air & Sea. Also, lets face that fact that US has much more manpower then Russia, and even more active troops.

I'm sorry, but US could walk all over Russia if given a good strategic position such as launching points within Georgia & Ukraine. US naval would completely destory Russia fleets in the Black Sea within a few weeks. And, with the help of Ukraine, US could easily invade Western Russia, although I doubt US would make the attempt to invade Russia because of two reason. The first being that Russia is a nuclear power, and secondly, US does not wish for a Russian version of Iraq. However, US could bomb Western Russia back to the stone age. Also, I believe that Japan and NATO could easily be influenced to get involved, Japan has great interest within Eastern Russia, specially Russian islands.

No doubt if the cards were all dealt in our favor the US may come out on top. But in the real world, could US walk all over Russia?
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: US could walk all over Russia...

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:05:34

It's still a nuclear stalemate if it came to that.
mos6507

Unread postby jbrovont » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:08:05

In a conventional fight, maybe - although there's some debate about how the F-22 would match up against the new SU-3x class fighters. Russian tank technology is pretty impressive as well.

The biggest problem for the US would be the nuclear danger. Most countries with nuclear weapons have a published policy governing their willingness and intent to use nuclear weapons in a conflict. The Russian policy outlines a "first strike against imminent threat" position, meaning they don't believe they have to wait for the conflict to go nuclear before considering the nuclear option. If they believe they're outmatched conventionally, their policy is to escalate first to gain the initiative. This is also stressed by their assertions that the use of smart-bombs by the US or allies would be considered as a threat worthy of nuclear response.

In the event the US bombed Russian installations, it would no doubt be with very accurate smart munitions. According to their public statements and defense policy, Russia would immediately exercise the nuclear option as a response.

Would they actually do this? Who knows - but we do know they don't have the same smart bomb technology we do, and so they don't have a "in-between" option betwixt accuracy by volume and accuracy by completely leveling a 5-10 mile radius. They feel they'd be looking at two options: get routed, or go nuclear. Putin's a smart guy - he plays the odds. I just wonder what he'd think his odds were.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Southpaw » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:18:24

I sure hope they won't invade Russia during the winter. Napoleon and Hitler did the same mistake and look what happenend to their empire. Doesn't have Russia submarines with nukes that are targetting the U.S.A. ?
Southpaw
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:21:22

President Merkin Muffley wrote:You're talking about mass murder, General, not war!

General Buck Turgidson wrote:Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:21:33

It's amazing that someone would think this, considering the record of the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hitler thought he could walk all over Russia too.

I agree with jbrovant that a US invasion of Russia--or any nuclear-armed country, for that matter--would be responded to with nukes. The idea is insane.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 16:34:26

Who wrote this? William Kristol?
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 17:06:56

Southpaw wrote:I sure hope they won't invade Russia during the winter. Napoleon and Hitler did the same mistake and look what happenend to their empire. Doesn't have Russia submarines with nukes that are targetting the U.S.A. ?

Russia has at least a dozen nuclear submarines capable of launching multiple-warheads each at targets within the United States given a few minutes notice.

Meaning, there is little chance of a successful first strike by the USA that completely neutralizes the possibility of a counter act.

How many Americans are we willing to let die in order to win? 10 million? 100 million? Losing one or two cities is probably an acceptable loss in the big scheme of things but if we're looking at a dozen submarines with at least 4 missiles each...forget it.

Strategic Air Command, Washing DC, New York, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Philly, etc, etc, etc. If you lose enough of them, the entire country falls into anarchy and the elite lose everything.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby skiwi » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 17:10:15

If you're going to post the ramblings of some third party could you at least pick a post that has a single sentence with some coherency to it. OR DIDN"T YOU NOTICE!!
Let us make him who shall nourish and sustain us. What shall we do to be invoked; to be remembered in the earth.
We have tried with our first creatures but we could not make them venerate us.
So let us try to make obedient respectful beings who shall
skiwi
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RdSnt » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 17:14:55

Invade with what? Where is the manpower going to come from for this US walkover? How is this going to be staged and where? How long do you think it takes to pre-place 1/2 million men? Oh, plus their gear. Do you think maybe Russia may notice?

Considering how over-reliant the US military is on high tech gear; in a heads on confrontation with Russia, the US military would be brought to its knees within a couple of months due to attrition. The only option for the US is a direct, immediate nuclear strike. It's all they have to work with.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby allenwrench » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 17:34:54

Heineken wrote:It's amazing that someone would think this, considering the record of the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hitler thought he could walk all over Russia too. I agree with jbrovant that a US invasion of Russia---or any nuclear-armed country, for that matter---would be responded to with nukes. The idea is insane.

'...record of the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan'
I don't think people in charge think of such things. They hope things will be different this time round. After all the Afghani are still beating up on the US as well as they did with Russia. We didn't care they drove Russia out, we wanted a taste of it for ourselves.
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jack_Curmudgeon » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 22:06:18

allenwrench wrote:I'm sorry, but US could walk all over Russia if given a good strategic position such as launching points within Georgia & Ukraine. US naval would completely destory Russia fleets in the Black Sea within a few weeks. And, with the help of Ukraine, US could easily invade Western Russia However, US could bomb Western Russia back to the stone age.

Gee, I sure hope you ain't advising the neo-cons! :shock: Thou at least it would mean we wouldn't have to worry about peak oil. Even if the US "won" the bombing war, sooner or later you'd have to go in on the ground and then you are into an Iraq/Afghanistan/Vietnam scenerio. Nasty.
Jack_Curmudgeon
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 10 Sep 2008, 22:36:32

Wrench didn't write that. He was quoting someone else. Look at his response to my post. People should READ before they POST.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Roy » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 07:14:15

:)
Last edited by Roy on Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Nickel » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 08:38:57

jbrovont wrote:In the event the US bombed Russian installations, it would no doubt be with very accurate smart munitions.

You mean the ones that routinely blow up civilian neighbourhoods in Iraq instead of their intended military targets, those "very accurate smart munitions"? The Russian stuff wouldn't have to be very good to match the proven record of Western "smart" bombs.
jbrovont wrote:They feel they'd be looking at two options: get routed, or go nuclear. Putin's a smart guy - he plays the odds. I just wonder what he'd think his odds were.

You're ill-informed. The Russians changed tactics back in the Soviet days. Rather than go expensively toe-to-toe with the US, they simply looked for blades for the Achilles's heels. For instance, they devised an entire class of ship-to-ship/shore-to-ship missiles specifically capable of identifying and targeting US carriers. A few dozen of them cost far less than a single carrier, and would have the effect of limiting the projection of US force to forward bases on friendly soil. That's a single example.

Iraq was a "cakewalk" in 2003, remember? Well, Russia ain't Iraq. Not by a couple of orders of magnitude.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Nickel » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 08:41:00

emersonbiggins wrote:Who wrote this? William Kristol?

Or Curtis Lemay on his way back from some Tokyo bombing run?
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 15:21:58

Nope.
Nukes are to be used, you know, otherwise it would be such a senseless waste of money to
develop them in the first place... :-D :-D :-D
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 16:35:37

<i>The Russians changed tactics back in the Soviet days. Rather than go expensively toe-to-toe with the US, they simply looked for blades for the Achilles's heels.</i>

You are absolutely correct. The Age of Armored Warfare is over. The politicians and defense contractors won't listen though.

We saw a hint at modern Russian ground warfare thinking in the 2006 Lebanon war.(Not suggesting Russia trained Hezbollah, just that they recognized the same reality and effectively used Russian armaments supplied by third nations.)

The Russian focus on cheaply produced anti-tank missiles with dual or thermobaric warheads more than offsets any disadvantage in numbers / generation of armored vehicles. Russia made a deliberate decision to modernize the T-72(called the T-90) and limit their production in favor of infantry carried anti-tank weapons produced in large numbers.

It was already apparent at the end of WWII that at some point, infantry carried anti-tank weapons would dominate the battlefield.

I believe the media attention on IEDs in Iraq was a cover-up of the vunerability of US armor to infantry carried anti-tank weapons. That somehow the losses of US armor was attributable to something other than anti-tank weapons. (Defense contractors and their paid supporters in the US government don't want to lose those lucrative tank contracts!)

link

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Consensi » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 19:18:49

jbrovont wrote:The biggest problem for the US would be the nuclear danger. Most countries with nuclear weapons have a published policy governing their willingness and intent to use nuclear weapons in a conflict. The Russian policy outlines a "first strike against imminent threat" position, meaning they don't believe they have to wait for the conflict to go nuclear before considering the nuclear option. If they believe they're outmatched conventionally, their policy is to escalate first to gain the initiative. This is also stressed by their assertions that the use of smart-bombs by the US or allies would be considered as a threat worthy of nuclear response.
In the event the US bombed Russian installations, it would no doubt be with very accurate smart munitions. According to their public statements and defense policy, Russia would immediately exercise the nuclear option as a response.

The Russians have indeed reformulated their defense policy to include the use of tactical nukes should it become apparent that their forces will lose on the battle field. The policy, called "National Security Concept of the Russian Federation", dated January 2000, clearly spells out the first use of nukes on an otherwise conventional battle field. This new policy supersedes all previous Soviet policy.

New Russian Security Doctrine The Russians believe they would lose in a conventional battle against Smart US Military Technology. Hence, tactical nukes.
Consensi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby allenwrench » Thu 11 Sep 2008, 19:21:15

Cid_Yama wrote:<i>The Russians changed tactics back in the Soviet days. Rather than go expensively toe-to-toe with the US, they simply looked for blades for the Achilles's heels.</i>
You are absolutely correct. The Age of Armored Warfare is over. The politicians and defense contractors won't listen though.

Won't listen cause they need to employ people and armament is as good an area as any. link
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics