Bought (gently used) a small ag sprayer to deal with our fencerows and to spray the orchard. Now I need to find out how to assure I get the herbicide out of the thing before I spray fruit trees with it.
Great deal on it--I paid $60 + $15 for the cart, compared to almost $300 new.
So, I was glad to spend some time fixing a flat tire, mounting on the cart and making the 12 volt cable to power it. All set to go now, and have a gallon of "Round Up" herbicide. I bought the generic stuff, Glycophosphate 41%, at $22/gallon. That will keep the weeds out of my fencerow for a very long time. (You use 3 ounces of chemical in a gallon of water, so this gallon of chemcal will make 128 oz./3 ounces = over 42 gallons of spray.) Also bought a gallon of RV antifreeze, so I can freeze-proof it for winter storage.
I set out 8 grape starts this week, that we raised from cuttings off a local heirloom variety. It is somewhat later than Concord, but larger and sweeter. A friend offered me many more starts of Concords, which I'll transplant when we get more rain. I have some very strong galvanized steel posts I got as salvage to build a grape arbor, and galvanized pipe to make the tops with. I hope to have about 16 to 20 vines going by next year. I had a huge brushpile shredded into chips for mulch this summer, and plan to use that around the grapes while they get started, to control grass and weeds.
Local fix-it guy..