Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

TOD: Export Land Model

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: The Export Land Model

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 15:45:19

West Texas..where art though? ;)

Would like to see an update to the global picture on supply, and exports.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 01:29:28

AP - He's probably doing the same as the Rockman: working 60-70 hours a week trying to find another spot to poke a hole in the ground. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:28:13

AirlinePilot wrote:West Texas..where art though? ;)

Would like to see an update to the global picture on supply, and exports.

If I did it right this link should take you to the interview he did with Chris Martenson a few days ago.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/9 ... nd-exports
Last edited by Tanada on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 12:08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link format
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 13:07:15

I learned a lot from Jeffrey Brown's talk on Chris Martenson's Peak Prosperity podcast.

1)Why is gas getting cheaper? I was wondering how gasoline could be getting cheaper, and it turns out this condensate is best at making gasoline.

2) Where did the "glut" come from? Apparently the glut is in this ultra light condensate, caused by fracking, and it's piling up all over the world. There is no glut in distillates, such as diesel and heating oil. Hence the price of gasoline keeps going down while the price of diesel and heating oil is holding.

3) Why do the oil trains seem to be blowing up? Unlike crude oil, this stuff is really explosive and once it gets going is a lot like gasoline, so that's why the trains are burning up nowadays.

So, it looks like this will be the case for a little while longer.

I predict that we will end up with very little diesel in a year or two. This does not bode well for farming, as it is presently practiced.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 13:28:25

Revi wrote:There is no glut in distillates, such as diesel and heating oil. Hence the price of gasoline keeps going down while the price of diesel and heating oil is holding.

You guys crack me up.

For diesel, as the hot summer months come to a close, the important crop harvesting period is upcoming for the agriculture sector. Farmers are an important demand driver for diesel because of the seasonality of their demand increase. Truckers are a large portion of diesel demand but provide more consistent demand month to month. Because the agriculture business is so dependent on the weather for their planting and harvesting, diesel prices can be influenced by bad weather conditions. Heavy rains and freezing temperatures can impact farming operations and diesel demand timing.

Gasoline prices are expected to fall further as winter gasoline blends will replace more expensive summer gasoline across the nation. With another Labor Day and summer vacation season coming to an end, the demand for gasoline will drop off just as diesel demand will pick up for harvest season. Because of the inverse relationship between gasoline and diesel demand peaks, it is typical for diesel to be the cheapest compared to gasoline in the summer months.

As gasoline demand falls off in the winter and harvest season comes to an end, diesel prices generally are at their highest premiums versus gasoline in the November-December time frame. As truck racks begin the switch over to summer gasoline in the spring, diesel prices recover with respect to gasoline prices.

As the trend looks valid again for this year, expect diesel prices to start their upward tick compared to gasoline. The last few years have seen the spread go from 60 cpg to as high as 90 cpg that we saw last year. As GasBuddy put out its end of year projections for gasoline prices in the U.S. to be sub-$2/gal, expect diesel prices to stay below $3/gal as demand picks up.

Read more at https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Diesel- ... 7M52mrG.99
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 13:47:54

Only if you choose to ignore that Diesel was cheaper than unleaded as recently as 2 weeks ago due to the increase in gasoline demand.

But then that goes against the storyline that no one wants gasoline anymore...

LoL

The persistent price premium for diesel compared with gasoline from August 2009 until last week reflected a combination of factors including strong global demand for diesel, federal fuel taxes for diesel that are 6 cents/gal higher than those for gasoline, and the higher production cost of ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) that was phased in between 2006 and 2010.
Gasoline and diesel have opposite seasonal demand patterns: gasoline demand tends to peak in the summer driving months, while diesel demand generally peaks in the winter heating months. Since January, gasoline demand growth has been unusually strong both in the United States and abroad. Furthermore, although retail gasoline prices in most parts of the country have in recent weeks followed decreasing crude oil prices, elevated retail gasoline prices in California, as a result of ongoing supply disruptions, have raised the U.S. weekly average gasoline retail price.
Tight diesel markets over the past six years have reflected growing diesel demand from developing economies and the switchover to ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) for home heating oil in northeastern states, where more than 80% of U.S. use of oil for space heating occurs. Over the same period, gasoline demand has generally been weak, reflecting increasing vehicle fuel economy and changing consumer driving patterns.
Gasoline demand in the United States began to rise considerably in the latter part of 2014 and through the first half of 2015 as U.S. retail gasoline prices reached some of their lowest levels in years, reflecting the fall in North Sea Brent crude oil prices from an average of $112 per barrel (b) in June 2014 to $48/b in January 2015. Gasoline prices generally followed Brent crude oil prices, falling from $3.69/gal in June 2014 to $2.12/gal in January 2015. Based on the latest data from the Federal Highway Administration, Americans drove a record 987.8 billion miles during the first four months of 2015, topping the previous record of 965.6 billion miles set in the first four months of 2007. Global gasoline demand also increased strongly in the first half of 2015.

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=22192
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 19:01:48

pstarr - Great point. Now consider this: global oil consumption 1976: 58 mm bopd. Now who would like to calculate what the % is of 1976 and 2016 the various production metrics such as ME, OPEC, US, etc.

For instance: what % of global consumption in 1976 and 2016 does the ME NET OIL EXPORT represent? And be careful: does your consumption number include ME consumption?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 20:04:52

Statistics on world crude exports are usually dated , the reference date is 2012 ( 42.5 Mbd )
there is some confusion between crude oil , condensates and non-conventionals
also the re-export of refined products sometimes sneak into the statistics .
to make it more maddening if crude is imported into a country for storage then re-exported , it can be counted twice
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 20:39:37

pstarr - "...you are not an ETP skeptic?" Don't take this the wrong way: have you been living in a cave or did you have a f*cking stroke last night? LOL. Skeptic of predictions about energy??? Hell, sometimes I have momentary doubts when someone predicts the sun will come up the next morning. But for 4 decades I've been listening to one incorrect prediction, big and small, after another so perhaps I'm a tad jaded.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 10:07:48

The fact that more and more oil is being used at the source is interesting. I know a lot of people who are living in the Middle East and they are doing it because they are living a pretty good life over there. A lot of people who used to live in the rest of the world end up there. Working people, managers, teachers, etc. We are attracted to the oil. Just like a lot of people went to Texas about 40 years ago. People will go to where the economy is better. I knew people who lived in Dubai, Kuwait and Riyadh. There are people from all over there. There weren't many people there to begin with, so they imported a lot of people to run things.

http://peakoil.com/consumption/middle-e ... -years-ago
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 17:53:13

Revi wrote:The fact that more and more oil is being used at the source is interesting. I know a lot of people who are living in the Middle East and they are doing it because they are living a pretty good life over there. A lot of people who used to live in the rest of the world end up there. Working people, managers, teachers, etc. We are attracted to the oil. Just like a lot of people went to Texas about 40 years ago. People will go to where the economy is better. I knew people who lived in Dubai, Kuwait and Riyadh. There are people from all over there. There weren't many people there to begin with, so they imported a lot of people to run things.

http://peakoil.com/consumption/middle-e ... -years-ago

I was one of those people. :) Let me retire at 49 and gave me a deep distrust of our (US) government and Islam. :(
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 18:33:38

Care - 40 years ago??? LOL.

New figures from the U.S. Census Bureau on Thursday showed Texas boasts five of the nation's eleven fastest-growing cities. Little has changed since the days when people in the first states decided they'd had it with city life, left their homes and chalked the letters GTT on the door--"Gone to Texas." Except that now Texas sports some of the nation's biggest cities, and the migrants come from abroad, the West Coast and Midwest more than from the East.

The state's cities and suburbs consistently rank among the fastest-growing in the country. The 2010 US Census recorded Texas as having a population of 25.1 million—an increase of 4.3 million since the year 2000. Hispanics are also the largest group of incoming migrants, both foreign and domestic. In coming decades the Hispanic demographic will double the population to 50 million by 2050.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 20:53:06

ROCKMAN wrote:Care - 40 years ago??? LOL.

Actually, only 14 years ago, sometimes it feels like 40.....
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 22:54:47

Care - I think I misinterpreted you: what did you do in 2002 and where did you go?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Fri 09 Dec 2016, 16:17:24

ROCKMAN wrote:Care - I think I misinterpreted you: what did you do in 2002 and where did you go?

I worked as a defense contractor for the Royal Saudi Air Force for ten years, we built the Peace Shield system, developed the training for both the operations and Maintenance sides (starting with English). When the contract ended, I was the lead contractor for the RSAF Air defense training center in Al Karj. Good money and benefits, but the customer sucked.

The saying was: You come to Saudi with two buckets, you put the money you make in one and the shit you take in the other. If either bucket fills up, it's time to leave. :) For me, both buckets filled up about the same rate. I was glad the contract ended, so I could really retire. :)

Prior to Peace Shield, I was Mission Crew Commander on the AWACS in the US Air Force, so I "visited" the country frequently.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models