Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Warren Buffett Thread (merged)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

THE Warren Buffett Thread (merged)

Unread postby Markos101 » Mon 27 Sep 2004, 20:03:32

A lesson from Warren Buffet?
This is an extract from Warren Buffet's 2003 Berkshire Hathaway letter to his shareholders: link.
During 2002 we entered the foreign currency market for the first time in my life, and in 2003 we enlarged our position, as I became increasingly bearish on the dollar. I should note that the cemetery for seers has a huge section set aside for macro forecasters. We have in fact made few macro forecasts at Berkshire, and we have seldom seen others make them with sustained success.
We have – and will continue to have – the bulk of Berkshire’s net worth in U.S. assets. But in recent years our country’s trade deficit has been force-feeding huge amounts of claims on, and ownership in, America to the rest of the world. For a time, foreign appetite for these assets readily absorbed the supply. Late in 2002, however, the world started choking on this diet, and the dollar’s value began to slide against major currencies. Even so, prevailing exchange rates will not lead to a material letup in our trade deficit. So whether foreign investors like it or not, they will continue to be flooded with dollars. The consequences of this are anybody’s guess. They could, however, be troublesome – and reach, in fact, well beyond currency markets.
As an American, I hope there is a benign ending to this problem. I myself suggested one possible solution – which, incidentally, leaves Charlie cold – in a November 10, 2003 article in Fortune Magazine. Then again, perhaps the alarms I have raised will prove needless: Our country’s dynamism and resiliency have repeatedly made fools of naysayers. But Berkshire holds many billions of cash-equivalents denominated in dollars. So I feel more comfortable owning foreign-exchange contracts that are at least a partial offset to that position. These contracts are subject to accounting rules that require changes in their value to be contemporaneously included in capital gains or losses, even though the contracts have not been closed. We show these changes each quarter in the Finance and Financial Products segment of our earnings statement. At yearend, our open foreign exchange contracts totaled about $12 billion at market values and were spread among five currencies. Also, when we were purchasing junk bonds in 2002, we tried when possible to buy issues denominated in Euros. Today, we own about $1 billion of these.
When we can’t find anything exciting in which to invest, our “default” position is U.S. Treasuries, both bills and repos. No matter how low the yields on these instruments go, we never “reach” for a little more income by dropping our credit standards or by extending maturities. Charlie and I detest taking even small risks unless we feel we are being adequately compensated for doing so. About as far as we will go down that path is to occasionally eat cottage cheese a day after the expiration date on the carton.

Buffet is sitting on $31 billion cash at the moment, and considering investing in fed bonds. He can't finding anything to invest in, and doesn't want to because of his concerns regarding forgeign servicing of US debt via investments in US securities abroad.

Oil decline would obviously have a major impact on investments from foreign countries in US securities, as the need for dollars decreases with declining oil supply. This is possibly one of the more major effects of oil depletion on the US economy, besides industries being hit by high oil prices.
Markos101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Jack » Mon 27 Sep 2004, 20:32:37

Great post!

I think the U.S. economy is heading for a cliff - Peak Oil will make matters worse...
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Mon 27 Sep 2004, 20:35:45

Oil decline would obviously have a major impact on investments from foreign countries in US securities, as the need for dollars decreases with declining oil supply. This is possibly one of the more major effects of oil depletion on the US economy, besides industries being hit by high oil prices.

Or, as the price of oil goes up and the dollar tanks, they need more dollars even as supplies decline.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Buffet & the Euro...

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 28 Dec 2004, 02:12:28

http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/ ... 0/036.html

This guy did his homework :) and its paid off...big time
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 02 Mar 2009, 21:39:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Warren Buffet Thread.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Warren Buffett's a Peak Oiler!!!

Unread postby LadyRuby » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 09:47:03

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/22/news/fo ... /index.htm

Buffett may up investment in energy

Report: Berkshire sees more opportunities in the utilities industry, including nuclear power.
June 22, 2005: 5:54 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is willing to invest more money in the U.S. energy sector than the $10 billion to $15 billion previously discussed, according to The Wall Street Journal Wednesday.

At a conference of utility commissioners from Western states, Warren Buffett said he would invest in power-transmission lines and undertake other efforts to improve electricity reliability after the PacifiCorp deal closes, according to the report.

Berkshire (Research) plans to buy U.S. utility PacifiCorp from Britain's Scottish Power PLC for $5.1 billion, the paper said.

But according to the Journal, Buffett said he sees more opportunities in the utilities industry, including nuclear power.

"We'll put every dime into the business that is needed -- and it'll need a lot," he said.

"The bigger, the better," he said. "It's better to do a $10 billion deal than 10 $1 billion deals."
LadyRuby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MicroHydro » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 10:28:39

They don't call him "The sage of Omaha" for nothing.
"The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air... Much that once was, is lost..." - Galadriel
MicroHydro
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 14:37:14

It sounds like he's become a big believer in the long-term fundamentals of energy, yes, but a believer in peak-oil as your title suggests? I have seen no direct evidence for that. He has been searching for worthwhile investments for quite some time, and has seem to found "it".

T. Boone Pickens quite clearly, yes. Warren Buffet? Maybe. Unless you have other evidence, I think you should re-title your post to: Is Warren Buffet a Peak-Oiler?
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby smiley » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 14:44:58

Just check the assets of Berkshire. In the past 2 years they have bought:

- Natural gas reservoirs in China
- A gas pipeline from the west coast to Omaha
- A (gas fired) electricity plant in Omaha

It is one way of making sure that the lights will stay on at his mansion
:lol:
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby LadyRuby » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 14:52:31

True, he may not have said "I believe in global peaking of oil and that we may reach that peak soon." But actions speak louder than words sometimes. Would it be in his best interest to single-handedly shake up the entire economy?
LadyRuby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby joewp » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 15:02:46

smiley wrote:Just check the assets of Berkshire. In the past 2 years they have bought:

- Natural gas reservoirs in China
- A gas pipeline from the west coast to Omaha
- A (gas fired) electricity plant in Omaha

It is one way of making sure that the lights will stay on at his mansion
:lol:

Plus, Berkshire is heavily invested in silver, various sources have the company holding 25% of the world's above ground supply. Next we'll hear he's investing in garden tools and growing his own food! :)
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

investment stratagy

Unread postby Cool Hand Linc » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 15:06:31

Do you think he would tip his hand and let everybody in on what he's doing? Not if he wants another 10 or 20 billion.

If he is willing to risk such a large part of his fortune. He has an idea and doesn't think its that risky.
Peace out!

Cool Hand Linc 8)
Cool Hand Linc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Oil and metal may dive Monday because Buffet said so

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Sun 07 May 2006, 10:18:16

At his annual Berkshire Hathaway meeting, Warren Buffet said the following about commodities:
I don't think there's a bubble in agricultural commodities like wheat, corn and soybeans. But in metals and oil there's been a terrific [price] move. It's like most trends: At the beginning, it's driven by fundamentals, then speculation takes over. As the old saying goes, what the wise man does in the beginning, fools do in the end. With any asset class that has a big move, first the fundamentals attract speculation, then the speculation becomes dominant.

Once a price history develops, and people hear that their neighbor made a lot of money on something, that impulse takes over, and we're seeing that in commodities and housing...Orgies tend to be wildest toward the end. It's like being Cinderella at the ball. You know that at midnight everything's going to turn back to pumpkins & mice. But you look around and say, 'one more dance,' and so does everyone else. The party does get to be more fun -- and besides, there are no clocks on the wall. And then suddenly the clock strikes 12, and everything turns back to pumpkins and mice.

I don't think he's right about oil and metal in the long term, but many think he's infallible and will be rushing to sell on Monday. Buffet saying so will make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. It could mean a big dip in prices and a buying opportunity for those of us who see the climb in oil and metal as just beginning. Those of you so inclined may want to get ready to buy.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 23 Mar 2009, 23:33:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Warren Buffett Thread.
The battle to preserve our lifestyle has already been lost. The battle to preserve our lives is just beginning.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Oil and metal may dive Monday because Buffet said so

Unread postby FireJack » Sun 07 May 2006, 10:42:28

If the economy bubble pops, the US government and it citizens go bankrupt, china decends into cival war, etc, oil will probably go down.

Of course various things could cause it to skyrocket too so who knows.
FireJack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby advancedatheist » Sun 07 May 2006, 10:43:19

President Bush couldn't talk down the price of oil more than $4-$5, and he has some control over the physical supply through the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and his war preparations against Iran. Why do you think Buffett will have any more success at it?
"There was a time before reason and science when my ancestors believed in all manner of nonsense." Narim on <I>Stargate SG-1</i>.
advancedatheist
Peat
Peat

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Sun 07 May 2006, 10:51:14

advancedatheist wrote:President Bush couldn't talk down the price of oil more than $4-$5, and he has some control over the physical supply through the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and his war preparations against Iran. Why do you think Buffett will have any more success at it?

I only believe he wil have a short term effect on the perceptions of the speculators, who seek the words of the wizards to make themselves rich without working or thinking. In the long term, supply and demand will trump speculation.

I'm just saying look for a temporary dip to produce buying opportunities.
The battle to preserve our lifestyle has already been lost. The battle to preserve our lives is just beginning.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pup55 » Sun 07 May 2006, 10:55:26

A new video by Osama or rant by the Iranian guy Ahmadinejad
could easily make it go the other way.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Novus » Sun 07 May 2006, 11:09:24

You know how Buffet got rich? Do as I say, not as I do. He is telling people to sell oil and gold so he can buy some for himself. Follow his money not his words for they move in oposite directions.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Sun 07 May 2006, 12:55:06

Novus wrote:You know how Buffet got rich? Do as I say, not as I do. He is telling people to sell oil and gold so he can buy some for himself. Follow his money not his words for they move in oposite directions.

That occured to me as well. Maybe he's using his influence to mislead the herd and create a buying opportunity for himself. The article mentions a $40 billion cash position they're looking to convert into some other asset. Sort of like Steve Forbes publicly recommending selling oil at the same time he's telling his newsletter subscibers to buy.
I don't believe the extremely rich got that way through a stong sense of fairness and altruism.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Dukat_Reloaded » Sun 07 May 2006, 12:58:15

Ummmm, he bought 130 million ounces of silver, if he's already sold out of his silver position everyone would know, just like when he bought his silver afew afew years ago, everyone knew. If he holds 130 million ounces of silver, what could be the reason for his comments? Probably would like to buy more on weakness, and anyway, the silver price won't be going down much until all the slv eft shares are sold, it's about 1/2 sold so far. Look for a price crash after that. But his comments are right, silver and gold are quite overbought according to the moving averages.
Dukat_Reloaded
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Novus » Sun 07 May 2006, 13:18:07

Why would Buffet buy almost $2 billion in Silver if he thinks it is going down. Think about it. Silver is hardly over bought. Is what is really overbought are US dollars. The fed is running the printing press 24/7 and Chinese are saying they have enough dollars. Selling dollars for any commodity is a good idea.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance