Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Vietnam Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby frankthetank » Sun 08 May 2005, 20:34:52

How is the US suppose to pay for this? Are we going to borrow the money from China or Japan...I personally don't feel i owe them anything. I never had any say in what happened over there (i wasn't born yet).
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Sun 08 May 2005, 20:43:55

frankthetank, you too?
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheSupplyGuy » Sun 08 May 2005, 21:59:02

Wow, that's really ironic they want closer ties. How close are we talking? Trade deal close, or military alliance close?
In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.-Thoreau
Peak Oil
TheSupplyGuy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Sun 08 May 2005, 23:01:27

TheSupplyGuy wrote:Wow, that's really ironic they want closer ties.
Why is it ironic? Why shouldn't they want to get on with things? What were we there for but to stop Communism? Maybe they see why now after all these years. The irony is that Peak Oil may cause the US to turn Communist!
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 09 May 2005, 03:03:07

NiKfUrY69 wrote:Historically we only pay for reconstruction when we win, as such Viet Nam should pay us for the costs and deaths caused in their counrty.

Remind us why you were in their country.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lorenzo » Mon 09 May 2005, 14:03:50

Vietnam fury at Agent Orange case
Vietnamese plaintiffs have condemned a US court's decision to dismiss their legal action against manufacturers of Agent Orange during the Vietnam War.
BBC.

This is only the beginning.
It took Jews three decades before someone started to pay a penny. Today, 60 years after the fact, it's an entire industry.
Expect the same from the Vietnamese.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DriveElectric » Mon 09 May 2005, 14:50:36

Instead of money, would they just accept another shoe factory built by Nike?
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby lorenzo » Tue 10 May 2005, 18:46:32

Tyler_JC wrote:We could have won that easily. Hell, if you had let me to do it, I could have "won" the war. Bomb every major settlement and throw those people back into the stone age.

That's exactly what you did.
And still you were defeated and humiliated by rice farming peasant boys and coconut girls with kalashnikovs.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Vietnam starts nuclear power program

Unread postby Starvid » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 09:15:05

HANOI, Oct. 19 (Xinhua) -- Vietnam is likely to pour 3.4 billion US dollars into constructing its first nuclear power plant in central Ninh Thuan province, which is scheduled to become operational in the 2017-2020 period, a local official said here Wednesday.

"We've submitted to the government a pre-feasibility study on building a 2,000-MW nuclear power plant either in Ninh Phuoc or Ninh Hai (two districts of Ninh Thuan). Total investment for it is 3.4 billion dollars," chief of the International Cooperation Department under the Vietnam Institute of Energy, Tran Thanh Lien, said at a press conference held after a Vietnam-France seminar on selecting technology and location for the plant.

http://www.rednova.com/news/science/278 ... =r_science

Yet another country prepares for the energy source of the future. :)
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Vietnam starts nuclear power program

Unread postby Peakoil_Tarzan » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 09:47:18

Starvid wrote:Yet another country prepares for the energy source of the future. :)

Hmmmmm. Yeah, the problem with "the energy source of the future" is that, even if we stopped using it tomorrow, it would be with us for a very long time.
Peakoil_Tarzan
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Peakoil_Tarzan » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 09:57:24

Starvid wrote:There is no sensible alternative to nuclear power if we are to sustain civilization.
- James Lovelock

...and if you could see what America has done with cheap energy over the last fifty years, you would have to question whether "civilization" was such a good thing.
Peakoil_Tarzan
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Starvid » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 10:17:30

You may have opinions on that but make your own anti-american anti-civilization thread then.

This thread is about the Vietnamese nuclear program, and maybe about other new or potential nuclear powers (like Nigeria, Brazil, Venezuela, Indonesia, Iran, Poland, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, to name a few).
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GreyZone » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 11:33:54

Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, is going nuclear but it's not been mentioned in Western press at all, only Asian based news sources. Unfortunately, it may also be used as for weapons purposes judging by the reporting going on. (Google "Myanmar nuke", without the quotes, for a list of stories.)

The largest risk with nuclear will be weapons proliferation but I suspect that genie is already out of the bottle and that North Korea is selling its knowledge for hard cash, usable in world markets.
GreyZone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby cube » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 12:25:12

Peakoil_Tarzan wrote:
Starvid wrote:Yet another country prepares for the energy source of the future. :)
Hmmmmm. Yeah, the problem with "the energy source of the future" is that, even if we stopped using it tomorrow, it would be with us for a very long time.
Hmm sounds like a bad skin rash that takes a long time to heal. :-D

Anyhow the nuclear genie is out of the bottle and there's no way to put it back in. One thing is for certain, nuclear power is back in style. The more expensive fossil fuels become the more attractive nuclear power becomes.
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DarkDawg » Wed 26 Oct 2005, 12:25:30

and maybe about other new or potential nuclear powers (like Nigeria, Brazil, Venezuela, Indonesia, Iran, Poland, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, to name a few).

Don't forget Iraq. Let's see, it's been 30 years since the Vietnam War and now they are ready to go nuclear. Maybe if the US gets out of Iraq NOW, in 2035 they will also be ready.

8)
DarkDawg
Peat
Peat

Vietnam Study, Casting Doubts, Remains Secret

Unread postby shakespear1 » Mon 31 Oct 2005, 13:35:10

In light of how we got into Iraq, the following story is just another chapter in Gov. 101.

Distorted critical intelligence
Men argue, nature acts !
Voltaire

"...In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation."

Alan Greenspan
shakespear1
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Oil was one of the Motivations for the Vietnam War ?

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 11:40:10

i was a youngster during the Vietnam War.

i had always accepted the notion that that war was part of the "Cold War" (a true misnomer, it was a pretty hot war for the 3 million SE Asian civilians that the US killed).

http://www.petrovietnam.com.vn/Images/C ... _lease.gif

i found this link on the PetroVietnam website.

now i'm wondering to what extent "grabbing the oil" (or at least, controlling it) was a motivation for the US attack on Vietnam.

P.S. How many barrels in a ton of oil ? PetroVietnam sometimes states oil exports in tons.

"Vietnam’s Petroleum production is ranged thirty first in the world and the third in the ASEAN, at an output 340,000 barrels per day of crude oil, ...."
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Re: Oil was one of the Motivations for the Vietnam War ?

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 12:56:08

pedalling_faster wrote:i was a youngster during the Vietnam War.

i had always accepted the notion that that war was part of the "Cold War" (a true misnomer, it was a pretty hot war for the 3 million SE Asian civilians that the US killed).

http://www.petrovietnam.com.vn/Images/C ... _lease.gif

i found this link on the PetroVietnam website.

now i'm wondering to what extent "grabbing the oil" (or at least, controlling it) was a motivation for the US attack on Vietnam.

P.S. How many barrels in a ton of oil ? PetroVietnam sometimes states oil exports in tons.

"Vietnam’s Petroleum production is ranged thirty first in the world and the third in the ASEAN, at an output 340,000 barrels per day of crude oil, ...."

I doubt it. The US was the Saudi Arabia of the sixties, production-wise, and an imminent US peak was just a little-known theory from some kooky old Shell geologist.
The battle to preserve our lifestyle has already been lost. The battle to preserve our lives is just beginning.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby UIUCstudent01 » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 13:24:20

NeoPeasant wrote:I doubt it. The US was the Saudi Arabia of the sixties, production-wise, and an imminent US peak was just a little-known theory from some kooky old Shell geologist.

Somehow, I doubt that the CIA or whatever thought that one of the most reputable geologists of the day was a kook. But, you know, to each his own.

I remember hearing and seeing a partial video of the US military helping an oil company find off-shore oil by doing something (dropping something (bombs?))

But, like Iraq, it's not exactly all about stealing oil. (For Iraq, it might be a much bigger share of the reasoning. Who knows? We've been told lies...)
UIUCstudent01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TorrKing » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 13:42:00

I have heard some schoolars say that the US require a common enemy at any time to stay as one unit. There is so much cultural diversity and unsolved issues in the US that without the "commies" and the "muslim terrorists" to distract the public, many groups would turn on eachother.

That is what I think the Vietnam war was about. And the other wars, to a lesser degree.

Torjus Gaaren
TorrKing
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion