Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The US Governmental Accountability Office (GAO) Thread (merg

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: GAO Report on the Peak and Decline of Oil Production

Unread postby NEOPO » Sun 01 Apr 2007, 23:37:39

MD - A timeless composition.

9.11 + Afghanistan + Iraq + Iran = my government is doing something and alot of it! I dont think the majority of the greedy sheeple would disagree if they were aware of the levity of the situation and what the alternatives would mean to their lifestyle.
At this point they can remain relatively undisturbed while silently condoning their governments actions.

Things havent really gotten interesting yet.
No gas lines, no food chain interuptus of any great significance etc etc and what we did experience was a dress rehearsal provided by the weather so the sheeple easily dismiss it.
I expect to see both the sheeple and their government getting involved very shortly albeit reluctantly.
So much depends on the weather and war.
Ju Ju Be?
I am gonna go find a back row seat just in case someone yells "fire!".

Peakers never sleep - they wait! 8)
It is easier to enslave a people that wish to remain free then it is to free a people who wish to remain enslaved.
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 05 Apr 2007, 15:11:12

Mr. Whipple weighs in on the significance of the report

The GAO Report

Thus, the real dilemma of coping peak oil, for a while at least, is really quite simple. If the government should lay out the full ramifications of peaking in hopes of rallying the people to make preparations, the most immediate consequence is likely to be serious economic setback triggered by an unambiguous announcement itself.

So there you have it. The GAO did their job by warning the Congress that peak oil might just be a very serious problem very soon, and the DOW is still going up. Sometimes government agencies are not that dumb after all!
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Twilight » Thu 05 Apr 2007, 15:53:58

If people are not aware, it matters little whether the government is aware. There really is very little any government can do about a structural problem on this scale without public participation. Maybe the only intelligent thing they're doing is prolonging the party if they know it is too late to act in any manner at all.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 05 Apr 2007, 19:46:36

Twilight wrote:If people are not aware, it matters little whether the government is aware. There really is very little any government can do about a structural problem on this scale without public participation. Maybe the only intelligent thing they're doing is prolonging the party if they know it is too late to act in any manner at all.

Or maybe they plan to smother peak oil under a shroud of war.

Or shift the blame and cause to terrorism. More war.

Bottom line.

More war.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sch_peakoiler » Fri 06 Apr 2007, 11:21:27

Jack wrote:Now, KillJOY - you know we can't upset the proles or outer party members. That would be double-plus ungood.

Once again, Jack, respect for your posts! Precise, up to the point, and just enough humour not to let it go offtopic. Thumbs up:)
There is no knowledge that is not power.
sch_peakoiler
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JPL » Sun 08 Apr 2007, 19:36:20

MonteQuest wrote:

Bottom line.

More war.

Without fossil fuels, that's not possible - it wouldn't be the sort of wars we had in the 20'th century. Anyhow, what would be the point?

There is a bigger war coming, soon, which is the fight to keep what we have. This one won't involve bullets.

JPL
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 08 Apr 2007, 20:08:13

JPL wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:

Bottom line.

More war.

Without fossil fuels, that's not possible -

Who says we won't have fossil fuels to fight war?

700 million barrels of SPR will fuel a lot of war.

We produce 5 mbpd in the US.

Anyhow, what would be the point?

War has never needed a point before, why start now?
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Puplava Interviews Simmons Regarding GAO Report

Unread postby mattduke » Sun 08 Apr 2007, 22:27:43

Puplava Interviews Simmons Regarding GAO Report
He's the "2nd hour expert" on this week's Big Picture.

http://www.netcastdaily.com/fsnewshour.htm
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Tue 10 Apr 2007, 09:29:11

Anyhow, what would be the point?

The point would be to kill another group to take their resources, the way the world has always worked.

Along the same lines the US also has the added problem of stopping another power rising up with the remaining oil.
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JPL » Tue 10 Apr 2007, 19:04:40

Battle_Scarred_Galactico wrote:Anyhow, what would be the point?

The point would be to kill another group to take their resources, the way the world has always worked.

No, there are other paradimes. Post-medieval Europe after the first Black Death, for example. When 50% of the population died and a lot of the farmland went back to scrub-land. Roads were left un-made and whole villages & towns were abandoned.

It was 100+ years before the European economy recovered to the point where people 'needed' resources. Wars weren't possible, during the post-medieval 'transition stage', there just wasn't the manpower to do it...

JPL

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JPL » Tue 10 Apr 2007, 19:28:25

MonteQuest wrote:
700 million barrels of SPR will fuel a lot of war.

We produce 5 mbpd in the US.

Yes, & I'm very pleased for you. If it's any consolation, we have about the same amount of production-level in Europe. So I guess we can (also!) fight lots of wars too.

But I still say, what for? If you take our 5, and put it with your 5, that's still not enough oil (pleuugh). So what do we all do?

Good luck...

JPL

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 10 Apr 2007, 20:52:19

JPL wrote:
But I still say, what for? If you take our 5, and put it with your 5, that's still not enough oil (pleuugh). So what do we all do?

Fight until it is all gone.

This is not my plan or my notion.

This is how it has always been.
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Tue 10 Apr 2007, 23:44:19

MonteQuest wrote:
JPL wrote:

Fight until it is all gone.

This is how it has always been.

Conflict will probably cause the overall world decline to be far steeper than is commonly presumed by destroying access to the very sources of oil and dependent infrastructure that is being fought for. We have seen this already with Iraq.

T.S. Eliot was wrong when he speculated that life might not be destroyed in some cataclysm, but instead fade to grey - fitfully, mournfully. Life (or at the very least civilised life) it seems is on a collision course to end with a Bang and not a whimper given the state of absolute inertia and denial by TPTB about the predicaments that are converging upon us.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Wed 11 Apr 2007, 07:02:20

When 50% of the population died and a lot of the farmland went back to scrub-land. Roads were left un-made and whole villages & towns were abandoned.

Yes well, clearly when there are less people there is less war.
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesertBear2 » Wed 11 Apr 2007, 16:08:43

JPL wrote:Post-medieval Europe after the first Black Death, for example. When 50% of the population died and a lot of the farmland went back to scrub-land. Roads were left un-made and whole villages & towns were abandoned.

It was 100+ years before the European economy recovered to the point where people 'needed' resources. Wars weren't possible, during the post-medieval 'transition stage', there just wasn't the manpower to do it...JPL

My knowledge of 14th Century is not the best but it seems that there was quite a bit of warfare after the black plague events.

Black Plague 1348-50
Hundred Years War 1337-1453

"The 14th century gives us back two contradictory images: on the one hand a glittering time of crusades and chivalry and exquisitely illuminated Books of Hours; on the other, a time of ferocity and and spiritual agony- a world plunged into chaos. These are the years when the black death struck in the great plague of 1348 -50, killing more than a third of the entire population between India and Iceland, and returned four times during the rest of the century...when freebooting companies of brigands terorized Europe with impunity ...when a "hundred years' war" seemed to have no beginning and no end, and defying the belligerents own efforts to end it, acquired a life of it's own, "an epic of brutality and bravery checered by disgrace". -- Barbara Tuchman, A Distant Mirror
DesertBear2
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JPL » Wed 11 Apr 2007, 19:41:41

DesertBear2 wrote:
JPL wrote:Post-medieval Europe after the first Black Death, for example. When 50% of the population died and a lot of the farmland went back to scrub-land. Roads were left un-made and whole villages & towns were abandoned.

It was 100+ years before the European economy recovered to the point where people 'needed' resources. Wars weren't possible, during the post-medieval 'transition stage', there just wasn't the manpower to do it...JPL

My knowledge of 14th Century is not the best but it seems that there was quite a bit of warfare after the black plague events.

Black Plague 1348-50
Hundred Years War 1337-1453

"The 14th century gives us back two contradictory images: on the one hand a glittering time of crusades and chivalry and exquisitely illuminated Books of Hours; on the other, a time of ferocity and and spiritual agony- a world plunged into chaos. These are the years when the black death struck in the great plague of 1348 -50, killing more than a third of the entire population between India and Iceland, and returned four times during the rest of the century...when freebooting companies of brigands terorized Europe with impunity ...when a "hundred years' war" seemed to have no beginning and no end, and defying the belligerents own efforts to end it, acquired a life of it's own, "an epic of brutality and bravery checered by disgrace". -- Barbara Tuchman, A Distant Mirror

Hi DesertBear,

Good piece of research. The 'hundred years' war was not a war in the sort of terms that we can understand today - it was, basically, a never-ending period of anarchy and chaos.

The 21'st century 'might' end up being similar to the 14'th - I accept that. But it doesn't have to be. I don't see where it's 'Written' (yet???).

JPL
Last edited by JPL on Wed 11 Apr 2007, 19:50:36, edited 1 time in total.

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JPL » Wed 11 Apr 2007, 19:49:32

MonteQuest wrote:Fight until it is all gone.

Good.

My count of intelligent beings on the planet just went up by one.

Just-under 6 billion to go then (grin)...

JPL

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newsseeker » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 08:15:28

Resource wars will be constrained by oil and mobility. The governments will have to provide fuel for their own citizens and will be unable to project their forces far beyond their border. The real oil grab will occur through oil contracts and commerce.

Just my opinion.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 15 Apr 2007, 10:45:03

Newsseeker wrote:Resource wars will be constrained by oil and mobility. The governments will have to provide fuel for their own citizens and will be unable to project their forces far beyond their border. The real oil grab will occur through oil contracts and commerce.

Just my opinion.

Oh?

Then it might be a good strategy to pre-emptively invade oil rich countries and establish military bases to be able to project that power, eh?

Seems the only thing constraining the current resource war is public opinion and resistance of the occupied country. :roll:
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Petrodollar » Thu 19 Apr 2007, 12:22:48

MonteQuest wrote:
Seems the only thing constraining the current resource war is public opinion and resistance of the occupied country

...that reminds me of the fascinating script used at the end of the 1975 movie, “Three Days of the Condor.”

Turner is Robert Redford’s character, Higgins is a CIA station chief:

[quote]Turner: Do we have plans to invade the Middle East?

Higgins: Are you crazy?

Turner: Am I?

Higgins: Look, Turner…

Turner: Do we have plans?

Higgins: No. Absolutely not. We have games. That’s all. We play games. What if? How many men? What would it take? Is there a cheaper way to destabilize a regime? That’s what we’re paid to do. . . . Fact is, there was nothing wrong with the plan. Oh, the plan was alright, the plan would’ve worked.

Turner: Boy, what is it with you people? You think not getting caught in a lie is the same thing as telling the truth?

Higgins: No. It’s simple economics. Today it’s oil, right? In ten or fifteen years, food. Plutonium. And maybe even sooner. Now, what do you think the people are gonna want us to do then?

Turner: Ask them.

Higgins: Not now, then! Ask ‘em when they’re running out. Ask ‘em when there’s no heat in their homes and they’re cold. Ask ‘em when their engines stop. Ask ‘em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won’t want us to ask ‘em. They’ll just want us to get it for ‘em![quote]
Petrodollar
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models