Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The US Governmental Accountability Office (GAO) Thread (merg

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: GAO Report on the Peak and Decline of Oil Production

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Fri 20 Apr 2007, 05:31:11

Not now, then! Ask ‘em when they’re running out. Ask ‘em when there’s no heat in their homes and they’re cold. Ask ‘em when their engines stop. Ask ‘em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won’t want us to ask ‘em. They’ll just want us to get it for ‘em!

Very true, excellent quote. I'll be watching that one.
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Mircea » Mon 11 Jun 2007, 13:32:24

Battle_Scarred_Galactico wrote:Not now, then! Ask ‘em when they’re running out. Ask ‘em when there’s no heat in their homes and they’re cold. Ask ‘em when their engines stop. Ask ‘em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won’t want us to ask ‘em. They’ll just want us to get it for ‘em!

Very true, excellent quote. I'll be watching that one.

You'd be doing yourself a favor. It really is a good film.
Mircea
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Mircea » Mon 11 Jun 2007, 13:39:26

Newsseeker wrote:Resource wars will be constrained by oil and mobility. The governments will have to provide fuel for their own citizens and will be unable to project their forces far beyond their border.
Just my opinion.

Governments can do both. It's called 'rationing.'

As it stands, there are few armies that are capable of projecting their forces far beyond their borders. That's due to the fact that they are defensive only and not intended to conduct offensive operations, or they're incompetent, they lack the manpower and equipment, or they lack experience/practical application of logistics to move any significant distance beyond their own borders.
Mircea
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 11 Jun 2008, 10:45:47

Petrodollar,

My thanks also. It's one of favorite movies and I hadn't thought about how it does fit well into the thread.

And that brings us back to supplying the military with fuel. I've never felt the Strat. Pet. Reserve was established for civilian use. The Dept. of Defense is the single largest user of oil in the world. I saw a number recently that I can't varify but it estimates that 60% of the daily cost of the Iraq conflict is fuel. Seems high but MPG's for armored vehicles make Suburbanes look good.

If we do have a serious supply disruption and the DOD holds back the SPR for military use, the angry villagers may replace Big Oil with a new monster to hunt down.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vetusfirma » Wed 11 Jun 2008, 11:15:29

-- --In World War II, the United States consumed about a gallon of fuel per soldier per day, according to the report. In the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War, about 4 gallons of fuel per soldier was consumed per day. In 2006, the US operations in Iraq and Afghanistan burned about 16 gallons of fuel per soldier on average per day, almost twice as much as the year before.

I can't remember where I got this, GAO I think, but its my belief the increase is due to airpower. I must also say that the army is doing everything it can to power down and become fuel efficient. With a non volunteer army, one should consider the potential for the army to only care for itself. As opposed to caring for the 'people', whom it no longer represents. Kinda like what BigTex says about cops, you don't want to get on their bad side, and force them to teach you a lesson.
HOLDING THE CENTER
vetusfirma
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models