Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Tom Whipple Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Summer of DOOM

Unread postby DantesPeak » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 19:18:21

This situation obviously cannot go on. During the last month, U.S. crude stockpiles have dropped by 18 million barrels out of a total commercial reserve which is now just over 300 million barrels. Remember that much of that 300 million is below the minimum operating threshold and as a practical matter is not useable.

This is the important point - it won't quite be a summer of doom, just bad. But once supply disruptions begin, there are hard to stop, and commerce will be interupted.

Basically the article is saying we may be closer than we think to outright shortages somewhere in the US.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 20:39:36

joelcolorado wrote:My buddy says the crowds have not arrived in Branson Missouri yet. They are worried now. Usually wall to wall ppl.

Branson, 'The Live Entertainment Capital of the World' … isn't (link)

By LEE HILL KAVANAUGH
The Kansas City Star
JILL TOYOSHIBA | The Kansas City Star

Bill Caldwell is leaving Branson after more than a decade playing in live bands at the shows for which the area is known. Fewer musicians can make a living there, compared to years ago when Caldwell first arrived.

BRANSON | After 14 years playing in Branson's theaters, musician Bill Caldwell has had enough. He's leaving. And he's not shy to tell why.

"Branson, 'The Live Entertainment Capital of the World,' … isn't," said Caldwell, 45, as he sat with a group of fellow musicians in a coffee shop.

Branson was built on the backs of the musicians who made its shows come alive, Caldwell said. But now he and some other musicians here say they are being cast aside as an extravagant luxury.

Replaced by recorded tracks.

As the economy has soured and gas prices have soared, more and more shows here are relying on recorded tracks instead of hiring musicians to perform each night.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dukey » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 21:35:45

dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KevO » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 08:12:20

Roy wrote: If it weren't for those damn liberal enviro whackos we could have $1 gasoline from now to infinity.

L

I actually think that come the revolution, which has begun albeit modestly at the mo, that environmentalists will be the first up against the wall. Their stand for bio fuels is now starving the poorest peoples, they've allowed nuclear power in on a massive scale for not being aware of the real issue - which is NOT climate change but Peak Oil.
That was a huge missed oppurtunity. The environment is past tiping point now according to NASA so what good did the eco ones actually do?
too soft, too by the book. Non violence evidently does not work against TPTB that use violence to curb violence.
The fuel protests show how timid the world is especially Americans who are more compliant thany anyone followed closely by the Brits.
Vietnam protests were really the last stand for a 'free' America.
France however have the most rebellious citizens in the first world - love em or loathe em.
The fuel protests of course will not achieve their said objective, to reduce prices but if they don't get much harder there's no chance for a free future for anyone.
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cabrone » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 08:55:24

Thats it !! - I've had enough. Summer is here, mid June in England & its COLD. Wife just put gas fire on as I write. Global warming my arse. Shell fuel tanker drivers on strike, the're on £32000 / year ($64000) & want £39000 ($78000) - Greedy bastards. (what do Yank truckers earn) - Alltogether bad news all around.

Time for action folk, this is what I'm doing

1. Cut down seriously on car use - sick of MY MONEY going to the Arabs, (via the banks!!!!) (just been on a bike ride with kids).

2. EVERYTHING I buy I will look where its made. West OK, CHINDIA gets put back on the sales shelf, unless its something I really need & there is no alternative. Easier said than done, but I intend trying. Quite simply they can GET STUFFED. They can have SOME of my trade, but they are NOT having it all.

3. I'm fed up of subsidising the third world. They allways want, want, want. Africans being the laziest bastards on this planet they deserve f*** all, and that is what they will get out of me.

BTW far east, china etc are NOT lazy - very industrious, but TPTB in China suck grandstyle. They can stick their Olympics also. They will go wrong big time, (as will London's in 2012).

4. STUFF the big name supermarkets. In Tesco (UK) profit of £2.9 BILLION announced, but food prices doubled, same with Asda (Wallmart) & snooty Sainsbury's, STUFF THEM, its Aldi & Lidl for the basics, and its good value.

5. STUFF the doomers, look at my signature below. (might be wrong on this !!!).

6. Politicians - Viva la revolution. (I'm afraid for me only at the ballot box).

7. Open to more suggestions, Any offers ??

Rant over, (as is often said on these posts).

Angry Gasmon

7. Have a riot?

Coming to a town near you soon.
Cabrone
Coal
Coal

Unread postby KevO » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 14:33:48

GASMON wrote:Cabrone - Poll tax riots many years ago, under Maggie Thatcher.

Shows though that the British (Yanks & others too) will only take so much. There is a breaking point.

Things are a' kickin up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7452385.stm

I would like to say it's going to be a long, hot summer, but its noticeably cold today, (but sunny) - funny!!.

Gasmon

great video at that link - thanks
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Byron100 » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 16:00:46

GASMON wrote:Cabrone - Poll tax riots many years ago, under Maggie Thatcher.

Shows though that the British (Yanks & others too) will only take so much. There is a breaking point.

Things are a' kickin up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7452385.stm

I would like to say it's going to be a long, hot summer, but its noticeably cold today, (but sunny) - funny!!.

Gasmon

Cold weather in summer...that sounds heavenly. :D Wanna trade places with me for a few months? ;)

That vid of the poll tax riots was awesome, by the way...and to think they *worked.* The end of Thatcher indeed. And to think how much better off England would be today if she had never taken office. 8)

I'd give anything to see riots like these start back up again...while it won't solve the problem of high energy prices, it'll sure be fun to watch all that mayhem...hehe. :twisted:

Ain't no power like people power! :P
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MrBean » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 16:10:45

GASMON wrote:3. I'm fed up of subsidising the third world. They allways want, want, want. Africans being the laziest bastards on this planet they deserve f*** all, and that is what they will get out of me.

Figures. Merry England wants, wants, wants, so create "third world" by colonical emprialism or whaddayacallit and then get the stupid yankees to police the Empire for you and keep on deliverin the colonical goods that Merry England wants, wants, wants to stuff in its bottomless arse.

God Save the Queen lyrics by Chumbawamba:

Fucking cunt (repeats)
Dirty bastard (repeats)
Dirty fucker (repeats)
God save the queen (repeats)
No future (repeats)
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MrBean » Sat 14 Jun 2008, 16:44:43

GASMON wrote:Yes, merry England WANTS, but merry England got off its arse, worked bloody hard AND GOT IT.

Pride for being an (has-been) bloody bloody hard working empire strikes me odd, I honestly don't understand that mind set ("gee it was swell to kill and maim and rob, hope to keep on doing that again and again"). But then, I was born into one of the colonized nations... :oops:
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Isochroma » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 18:53:21

summer of DOOM = summer of FUN!

lets cheer up guys
the end of the world's gonna be a blast
to the last drop of oil and crop
Isochroma
Peat
Peat

Unread postby hironegro » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 11:37:43

Republicans, Environmentalists, and Israelis; who doesn't PO.com hate now?
hironegro
Coal
Coal

The Peak Oil Crisis:A Disruptive Technology

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 19 Aug 2009, 10:56:08

http://www.fcnp.com/commentary/national ... logy-.html

Every now and again there comes along a new technology that changes civilization. Gunpowder, steam engines, electricity, internal combustion, nuclear energy, transistors, and the integrated computer circuits readily come to mind.

Looming just over the horizon is the possibility that another such disruptive technology may, and I emphasize may, be in the offing. This technology would be a capacitor with the ability to store large amounts of high-voltage electricity as a static charge in a relatively small and inexpensive device. No chemical reactions - just electrons in and electrons out.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Wed 19 Aug 2009, 11:15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Current Events-"Discussion of energy-related Breaking News." Merged with THE Tom Whipple Thread.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The Peak Oil Crisis:A Disruptive Technology

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 19 Aug 2009, 11:11:14

I like Tom Whipple, he's a character.

He does have this inability to imagine a civilization without automobiles though and therefore he swings from being very doomerish (because we will lose the abiity to fuel our cars) to Jiminy Cricket wishfullness that we will find some other way to keep our cars running.

The technology, if it works I supose could help with some kind of transition. But, I believe the transition will still have to be made. I'm not sure if he agrees with that or not.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Peak Oil Crisis:A Disruptive Technology

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 19 Aug 2009, 12:32:15

dinopello wrote:I like Tom Whipple, he's a character.

He does have this inability to imagine a civilization without automobiles though and therefore he swings from being very doomerish (because we will lose the abiity to fuel our cars) to Jiminy Cricket wishfullness that we will find some other way to keep our cars running.

The technology, if it works I supose could help with some kind of transition. But, I believe the transition will still have to be made. I'm not sure if he agrees with that or not.

We will find the ability to fuel our cars. The Republicans will find a way to grind up poor people into fuel for cars .
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Kunstler: Chatting with Tom Whipple of Peak Oil News

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:32:14

Tom Whipple is a former US Intel analyst who has put out the PeakOilNews for more than a decade. His newsletter is now associated with the PostCarbon institute and can be found at Peak-oil.org. Tom is not a tin-foil hat guy, but we get into a discussion in the heart of the interview about exotic alt. energy matters, including new developments in fusion and cold fusion. I disagree with Tom about the role that electric cars might play in the years ahead, but we didn’t have a debate about it per se during this chat, which i believe you’ll find very interesting.

Kunstler: Chatting with Tom Whipple of Peak Oil News
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Tom Whipple Thread (merged)

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:36:03

BabyPeanut wrote:

I have noted, as this URL does, that Tom's early doom mongering is disappearing, little by little. As anyone who recalls how the sting of laughter feels after having screwed the pooch, hiding the evidence of ones ignorance can alleviate the feeling a little bit. Ruppert would probably feel alot better if he were still alive, if he had been able to hide his pamphleteer past. Instead, he let it get to him and well.we all know how that turned out.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Tom Whipple Thread (merged)

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:51:44

The people who forecast acute shortages of hydrocarbons may, for the moment at least, be seen as incorrect, but for the life if me I do not understand why they - collectively - cannot man up and admit they were wrong.

What's the big deal?
We, being human, make mistakes, embrace falsehoods, say inaccurate statements ongoing.
The only people who are unable to recognize that should be dismissed as either demagogues or willing dupes, aka dangerous entities to the rest of us.

And all this, naturally, flows into the whole Climate Change/Global Warming arena as the staunchest opponents of fossil fuels had, they thought, financial and geological evidence to support the push for 'renewable' energy.

If the US and world in general is looking at decades of inexpensive hydrocarbon supply, the shrill warnings on the climate's effects will be called into question if the promoters are seen to be from the same Peak Oil camp.

Integrity counts.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion