Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Stirling Engine (Merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby pilferage » Sat 22 Jan 2005, 03:38:36

Seems like it's just converting electromagnetic energy into pressure, and then focusing that pressure. Kinda like a a car's windows, except directed.
Ingeneous and simple, I like it!

It's technologies like this that might help save our asses....
I kinda wish we didn't live in a world where a few nuclear warheads can fuck the situation straight to hell.... :x
pilferage
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Bandidoz » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 11:58:40

Marshall Brain is now championing this - has anyone done an honest EROEI calculation and is there consideration regarding the availability of the materials used?

http://marshallbrain.blogspot.com/2005/ ... cient.html
The Olduvai Theory is thinkable http://www.dieoff.com/page224.pdf
Easter Island - a warning from history : http://www.dieoff.org/page145.htm
Bandidoz
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Dezakin » Wed 22 Jun 2005, 18:22:31

Marshall Brain is now championing this - has anyone done an honest EROEI calculation and is there consideration regarding the availability of the materials used?

Has anyone done an honest EROEI calculation?

Solar is very easily done with positive energy return. (Or energy ratio above one depending on your definition) Its just big mirrors, and you can make those easily enough, maybe plastic covered mylar.

The problem is paying people to build and lay the stuff down... this can get rather expensive. Maybe when we replace most labor in the field with robots.
Dezakin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 13:17:01

I found this unit online:

http://www.baileycraft.com/solar4.htm

An 18 in. parabolic reflector theoretically captures about 160 W of sunlight maximum. If the Stirling motor is 30% efficient, then you could possibly get as much as 50W out of the unit, making it about $5/W.

Perhaps a larger parabolic reflector might get more, but I'm sure any given engine will experience diminishing returns.

I like the simplicity of this unit, the fact that it will attach to a photographic tripod, etc... I just wonder how easy it would be to remove the flywheel and attach a small electric generator.

Caoimhan
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DriveElectric » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 13:48:38

Bandidoz wrote: has anyone done an honest EROEI calculation

The concepts of "honest" and "EROEI" are not allowed to be used together.

There are three types of lies.

1) Damn lies
2) Statistics
3) EROEI
DriveElectric
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby julianj » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 15:06:09

I've clicked on a couple of the links and I'm none the wiser. Why is this Stirling Engine such a big deal?

Please could someone explain in short non-technological sentences for those of us with an arts background.

I'm sure I could design a nice colour scheme for the darn thing, if I only knew what it was :wink:
julianj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Dezakin » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 15:44:16

Stirling engines aren't that big a deal. They can be theoretically efficient, but you will get more real world losses with them for big power cycles than a similar steam cycle for large power plants.

But what they do do well is work on low temperature differentials, and they have good efficiencies at low power systems. They can also be made with relatively few moving parts and no liquids that can freeze on you. So as such they are ideal replacements for RTG's for nuclear space power, decent for solar concentrators where the power is relatively low so a similar steam cycle would be less efficient. Or they can be used for a bottoming cycle of a power plant if you are worshiping the god of thermodynamic efficiency and have capital overflowing.

I feel we're more likely to use VMJ photovoltaic concentrators than stirling concentrators though, but if you can make the stirling engines cheap enough I suppose they'll be competitive.
Dezakin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby angrysurgeon » Fri 24 Jun 2005, 15:00:54

nicklockard:

Im very interested in the technical knowledge behind building "solarsterlingengines". The first post explained how to make the dish out of fiberglass material but it left me with more questions than answers. The problem is that it was a guest who started this thread and cannot be reached other than through this method (=posting). So my question to you nicklockard, do you have a link or a website of your own which in clearer terms explains the process of building a prototype solar sterlingengine? If so, do you car to share it with us?
angrysurgeon
Peat
Peat

A Stirling(thermal) engine with an OTTO engine

Unread postby Linus » Thu 21 Jul 2005, 11:36:10

Hello,

I am interest in a Stirling engine with a good power but with a little extent
because it can increase my Otto efficiency from 20 to 40%.
Yes..., my exaust gases have an high temperature(about 400 °C) and they have the 40% of all my oil heat, and another 25% is in the radiator.
Is there someone who knows the existence of a little size Stirling engine(20 kw)?
I would have to introduce it in my car with an Otto engine(20 kw).........
My opinion is that it's possible.

Hi
Linus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby RonMN » Thu 21 Jul 2005, 16:31:10

I'm not sure what you would connect the output to...are you saying you are driving an electric car? The heat from the radiator or exhaust could run a sterling engine...but what would you do with the electricity it created?

Ron...
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BrownDog » Thu 21 Jul 2005, 17:23:12

RonMN, it's not required that you hook up a stirling engine to a generator. It can be coupled mechanically, as well.

I think it's an interesting idea to make use of the second law of thermodynamics, although I don't know the feasability of any specific applications.
BrownDog
Lignite
Lignite

World's Largest Solar Array to use Stirling Engines!

Unread postby Googolplex » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 00:43:19

This news was big enough to make it to Slashdot! :)

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/0 ... 32&tid=137

Appearently this one plant will double the US's solar power production, and all without expensive high tech PV or massive towers of molten sodium!

Honestly, this looks like solar power tech thats as cheap and easy to build and mantain as common gasoline generators. Cool no? :-D

Direct link to the article:

http://pesn.com/2005/08/11/9600147_Edis ... est_solar/
Last edited by Googolplex on Fri 12 Aug 2005, 01:46:40, edited 1 time in total.
Googolplex
Peat
Peat

Re: World's Largest Solar Array to use Stirling Engines!

Unread postby Googolplex » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 00:47:14

More from the company providing the dishes:

http://stirlingenergy.com/solar_overview.htm
Googolplex
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Brandon » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 01:50:44

Wow! Excellent news! :)
Brandon
Wood
Wood

Unread postby brobak » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 09:58:23

Does anyone know of a Home Sized system that might be available? Or how it might compare $/W with PV solar on that home sized scale?
brobak
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gg3 » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 10:30:15

Some serious good news for a change!

The articles say: 4500 acres, 500 MW. This is about 7 square miles, or about 71.4 MW per square mile. There's your figure for comparison with wind and solar photovoltaic, in terms of power output per unit of land area.

Tests conducted by Sandia Labs show the Stirling-cycle solar system to be about twice as efficient as other solar systems.

We have plenty of hot sunny desert just waiting to do something useful.

500 MW is in the size range of a small nuclear reactor. By the way, the Slashdot article has some interesting discussion of various reactor technologies.

For anyone who's interested in a working demonstration model of a simple Stirling-cycle engine, go here:
http://www.newenergyshop.com/htm/new_energy_shop_en.htm
and click on the link for Stirling models. If I'm not mistaken, there are a few other companies also producing small Stirling models for educational and demonstration purposes.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Unread postby abelardlindsay » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 13:15:08

500mw is a real amount of power. I am impressed! Now what are all the doomers around here going to say? Still no liquid fuel solution. Well there's always hydrogen....
abelardlindsay
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Raxozanne » Fri 12 Aug 2005, 13:22:07

No, we would say 'How long will it take to build?'
Hello, my name is Rax. I live in the Amazon jungle with a bunch of women. We are super eco feminists and our favourite passtimes are dangling men by their ankles and discussing peak oil. - apparently
Raxozanne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Novus » Sat 13 Aug 2005, 13:04:45

The problem is that for the most part this technology is arriving too late to save consumer civilization. Oil is peaking right now and it will be years before just this one plant gets built. The stock market could crash next week. There needed to be a Manhatten project to deploy all these new technologies right now because now is when we need them.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Starvid » Sat 13 Aug 2005, 13:22:40

How much will this cost? $ 1 billion would be a competitive price.
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology