Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Stark Realities of Baked-In Catastrophes

Re: The Stark Realities of Baked-In Catastrophes

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:01:29

dohboi wrote:absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

(Not surprisingly in this case, this fallacy is formally known as "Argument From Ignorance" :) :) )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

For further discussion on the matter, though, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

O'Rly. That argument from a position of ignorance has never occurred to me. Welcome to the ignorance club Dough boy. Show me the evidence. Isn't that they way science is supposed to work or are you just relying on faith in aliens? LOL
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:03:43

" Isn't that they way science is... "

Start writing at least minimally coherent English and perhaps we can have a conversation. :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:06:00

Newfie has seen this argument before. A Christian claims that there is a supreme being. The general response is that you are superstitious, ignorant , reactionary, etc. In other words, you rely on faith since you have no evidence of a supreme being.

But I claim that there is no higher intelligence in the entire universe. There has been no evidence of a higher intelligence in the universe besides man, but I can't make the counter-claim that your belief system relies on faith?

Hypocrisy abounds and no better place than right here.
Last edited by Cog on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:08:05

dohboi wrote:" Isn't that they way science is... "

Start writing at least minimally coherent English and perhaps we can have a conversation. :)

Do you have a mental illness or condition that we need to worry about besides your vegetarianism?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:09:39

Thanks Doh.

Cog, NO.

What you are proposing is the antithesis of the scientific method.

You are proposing an answer for something that can not be tested. So your answer is as valid as any contrary answer.

All you can say is that from our sample of one, humans have some traits other animals do not posses.

That you value those traits, and rate them highly, just demonstrates your personal validation bias.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:11:55

Newfie wrote:Thanks Doh.

Cog, NO.

What you are proposing is the antithesis of the scientific method.

You are proposing an answer for something that can not be tested. So your answer is as valid as any contrary answer.

All you can say is that from our sample of one, humans have some traits other animals do not posses.

That you value those traits, and rate them highly, just demonstrates your personal validation bias.

You love the scientific method. Then prove your claim that there are other intelligent life forms in the universe or even life outside this planet. Don't be a fucking hypocrite like you are acting like right now.

You have attacked me repeatedly for my religious beliefs. What gives you the right to do that? I guess since you are a mod, I can't really stop you but your hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Last edited by Cog on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:13:22

Cog wrote:Newfie has seen this argument before. A Christian claims that there is a supreme being. The general response is that you are superstitious, ignorant , reactionary, etc. In other words, you rely on faith since you have no evidence of a supreme being.

But I claim that there is no higher intelligence in the entire universe. There has been no evidence of a higher intelligence in the universe besides man, but I can't make the counter-claim that your belief system relies on faith?

Hypocrisy abounds and no better place than right here.

You just elevated yourself above GOD. We bow to your greatness. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:16:15

I think you did long ago Newfie by attacking me and any Christian that posts here. I don't bow to you though. Superior acting prick that you are.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:25:39

I think our little cog-lette is having a bit of a grouchy day today...best to leave it alone for a while till panties get untwisted. :-D :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:32:53

dohboi wrote:I think our little cog-lette is having a bit of a grouchy day today...best to leave it alone for a while till panties get untwisted. :-D :-D

I won't ring your bell until you get one rung by someone swinging a bike lock at your head like in Berkeley. Like your buddy up on charges. LOL Tell him that I helped get him fired for the University system. I'm very proud of that and reddit/R for making the effort.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 17:17:18

Wow,I am away for a few days and this thread gets down and dirty haha.
So the last coherent talk was about Intelligent Life. I find it highly dubious that in a Universe with approximately One Hundred Billion Stars per galaxy and approximately One Hundred Billion galaxies, that other intelligent life would exist.
Last edited by onlooker on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:01:03, edited 1 time in total.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 17:36:50

Cog, A walk in the woods perhaps? Are you in the Chicago area? Palos woods is within an hour drive of downtown Chicago. There are lovely forest preserve trails there.

Nobody can yet prove life on another planet. Genuine uniqueness is pretty rare in nature so the best one can conclude knowing the billions of galaxies and trillions of stars that life is highly likely elsewhere. That is the best we can say. Those radio telescopes have been aimed at the heavens for decades and have come up blank. It is also humbling to consider that any signal from distant stars was emitted perhaps hundreds of thousands of years ago so any communication back and forth with existing technology would be pretty futile as the likely hood of extinction of either party before the messages were answered would be quite high.

Religions rejected Copernicus, rejected Galileo, rejected Darwin for the reason that this took humans off the center and relegated us somewhere out on the margins. This weakened the idea of a creator that made us and all this for our benefit.

We still see this insecurity displayed among the religious when they want to make humans the only intelligent life in the universe. It's once again a threat to take humans off the center stage. Hubris and insecurity by the way are closely related.

Believing in god is a projection on to a creator of human hubris about our uniqueness in the universe. I don't want to offend anyone believing in the invisible man in the sky but that is really what it is.

You can never argue faith with science. They are not compatible. There have been very religious scientists who believe in evolution and science at the same time as they have faith in a god. They just compartmentalize these things which in many ways allows them the best of both worlds, objective scientific thought and faith that nurtures the soul. You can still nurture your soul without believing in a god though. Humans have a huge diversity of strategies in how they deal with the conundrum of being mortal sentient beings when it comes to considering the big GOD question. Me personally? This planet has enough biodiversity and awesome weather and geology that this keeps me enough in awe that I do not need to overlay this with the idea of a creator. This biodiversity I view as precious and sacred as it stands without having to formulate a theology around it. Period.

Evangelical christians who believe the bible is literal truth have no ability to compartmentalize science and faith so they have no choice but to believe the planet is 4000 years old and they do all kinds of mental gymnastics to hold on this illogical position.

As Sea Gypsy said the fastest growing religion on the planet is NO Religion. Secular atheists will one day dominate but don't worry Cog they wont all be communists! :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 17:56:30

Cog wrote:I think you did long ago Newfie by attacking me and any Christian that posts here. I don't bow to you though. Superior acting prick that you are.

Really Cog, you are in NO position to call someone else on acting superior. You above describe your post as huberistic I believe?

As to your religion I don't recall ever attacking you on religion. I'm an atheist, that is true. From my personal perspective being an atheist came from a time of examining religion and finding it illogical and wanting. I find it is not an easy path because you loose someone to blame and/or turn to. It makes you more alone in the world.

My take is that many folks are not built to shoulder that additional responsibility. That's OK, we are not all alike. I respect their religion, whatever gets you through the night.

Where you and I differ is that while I may question your beliefs you outright reject mine and feel threatened by them. Your belief system at heart is one of exceptionalism, God loves you better, sort of like the Smothers brothers.

Am I wrong to believe that you stand by your religious beliefs and feel that you are especially blessed by the grace of God for holding the truth in your heart? Can you deny that?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:07:05

Suggest that an atheist is wrong is like poking a hornets nest. They all come boiling out of the nest. LOL

Very predictable and Newfie is the head hornet as usual.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:13:05

This planet has enough biodiversity and awesome weather and geology that this keeps me enough in awe that I do not need to overlay this with the idea of a creator. This biodiversity I view as precious and sacred as it stands without having to formulate a theology around it. Period.
Ibon, please accept this reply as being simply out of curiosity. I am just wondering how you can see so keenly the awesomeness of Nature and its marvelous interplay, beauty and complexity and yet not be led to the notion that surely a Supreme Intelligence is behind it. How could all this have come out and come into existence by mere chance? The Universe guided by universal laws and thus having organization. To me, this a definite sign that a Supreme Intelligence must have made it come about.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:25:30

Cog wrote:Suggest that an atheist is wrong is like poking a hornets nest. They all come boiling out of the nest. LOL

Very predictable and Newfie is the head hornet as usual.

These days most atheists I know don't really even engage much anymore in the irrelevant question regarding god. The issue for them is resolved. In this current discussion Newfie is non offensively stating his position and I don't really see him dissing you Cog. You actually are displaying a lack of faith in your thin skin around this topic. If you embody your christianity you would not be so easily riled up over his rather benign comments.

Religions stay vibrant in developing poor countries where poverty does not enable you to have much control so faith in a god takes the place of this lack of control. Secularism is directly proportional to wealth in this way. Europeans these days are mostly secular. America is a bit of an outlier in the higher percentage of the population holding on to religious beliefs but many like my own lineage immigrated to America to escape religious persecution so this legacy still defines us to this day. Religion in America is also an important antidote to hyped up materialistic individualism because this strips folks of community and without church they would be awfully lonely. In rural america it's the only social game in town for most.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:29:40

onlooker wrote:
This planet has enough biodiversity and awesome weather and geology that this keeps me enough in awe that I do not need to overlay this with the idea of a creator. This biodiversity I view as precious and sacred as it stands without having to formulate a theology around it. Period.
Ibon, please accept this reply as being simply out of curiosity. I am just wondering how you can see so keenly the awesomeness of Nature and its marvelous interplay, beauty and complexity and yet not be led to the notion that surely a Supreme Intelligence is behind it. How could all this have come out and come into existence by mere chance? The Universe guided by universal laws and thus having organization. To me, this a definite sign that a Supreme Intelligence must have made it come about.

I am very busy as we have over 20 guests and my wife needs my help preparing dinner for so many and there is nothing that pisses her off more than if she sees me on peakoil.com when there is so much work to do. :) :)

So I will have to leave your inquiry for awhile as it deserves a more thoughtful response than I have time for at the moment!
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 18:35:24

Ibon wrote:
onlooker wrote:

I am very busy as we have over 20 guests and my wife needs my help preparing dinner for so many and there is nothing that pisses her off more than if she sees me on peakoil.com when there is so much work to do. :) :)

So I will have to leave your inquiry for awhile as it deserves a more thoughtful response than I have time for at the moment!
:lol: :lol: Okay, I will await
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 21:06:06

Ibon wrote:Religions rejected Copernicus, rejected Galileo, rejected Darwin for the reason that this took humans off the center and relegated us somewhere out on the margins. This weakened the idea of a creator that made us and all this for our benefit.

We still see this insecurity displayed among the religious when they want to make humans the only intelligent life in the universe. It's once again a threat to take humans off the center stage. Hubris and insecurity by the way are closely related.

Believing in god is a projection on to a creator of human hubris about our uniqueness in the universe. I don't want to offend anyone believing in the invisible man in the sky but that is really what it is.

You can never argue faith with science. They are not compatible. There have been very religious scientists who believe in evolution and science at the same time as they have faith in a god. They just compartmentalize these things which in many ways allows them the best of both worlds, objective scientific thought and faith that nurtures the soul. You can still nurture your soul without believing in a god though. Humans have a huge diversity of strategies in how they deal with the conundrum of being mortal sentient beings when it comes to considering the big GOD question. Me personally? This planet has enough biodiversity and awesome weather and geology that this keeps me enough in awe that I do not need to overlay this with the idea of a creator. This biodiversity I view as precious and sacred as it stands without having to formulate a theology around it. Period.

Evangelical christians who believe the bible is literal truth have no ability to compartmentalize science and faith so they have no choice but to believe the planet is 4000 years old and they do all kinds of mental gymnastics to hold on this illogical position.

You make several errors and faulty assumptions in the quote above.

For the first thing Copernicus was an official in and of the Catholic Church. All of the scientific discoveries he made were known to the church and were allowed to be published in his name upon his death.

Second Galileo was not charged with crimes because of his scientific publications, he was living in Italy and wrote a very crude parody about the reigning Pope because of his relationship with church politics. As a result of not just stepping on toes but stomping on them. Even then after his trial the reigning Pope required that the harshest sentence he could be punished with was house arrest, which is not too cruel for a relatively old man who has caregivers living with him.

Third I am an evengellical who belives the Bible is true, but nowhere does the Bible say the Earth is 4000 years old, nor do I presume to know the mind of God. We are told explicitly that God is outside of time with statements such as to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord even though the dead are resting in the grave. The Bible also teaches that in the heavenly perspective a thousand years is as a day and a day is as a thousand years, what better way to say time has no meaning to God? So Creation took seven days, from Gods perspective. How long is that from mans perspective? Could be a miraculous seven days, or seven thousand years or seven billion or seven trillion, it took however long God needed it to take and no less, nor more.

Anyone who tries to tell you God created the Earth 4000 years ago doesn't even account for all the verified archeological events of the Old Testement that took place before the birth of The Christ. For starters the commonly recognized Hebrew calendar recognizes this year as 5777. At the same time the Chinese reckon this year as 4715. Both caledars are based on civilizations tracking things back as long as they have written records, but that doesn't make them ultimately definitive. For example Egyptian heiroglyphs date back at least 5200 years from today. It is thought the ancient city of Ur where the ziggurut of the old Testement was built was founded 5800 years ago, coinciding with the Hebrew calendar beginning at roughly the same time.

Then there are the pictoglyphs and cave paintings dating back even further, which simply confirms anyone claiming creation was only 4000 years ago is truly foolish.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 22:05:56

onlooker wrote:

OK here goes, you know, I never delve too seriously into these questions beyond being playful... :)

Atheism is vulnerable to fall in the same dogmatic trap as religious belief systems when it makes the assumption unequivocally that the order of the universe and all life forms is just a product of physics, chemistry and natural selection. It is unknowable what drives this seemingly perfect order. Not in particular, but in its entirety. Natural selection cannot be disputed as a driving force behind the biodiversity on our planet, including the rise of Homo sapiens. But that in and of itself is not the final word is it?

This is related to simple game mortal finite humans play when they contemplate infinity. There is no end of the universe because there has to be something outside that end. That question already arose with my friends and I when sleeping out in our backyards with our sleeping bags on warm summer nights when we were 12 years old looking up at the heavens. Or if there is a creator then who made the creator? These are fun examples of trying to fathom that which cannot be known. We are finite creatures and when you contemplate infinity you are in the realm of the unknowable. Within that realm all you can really do is hang there. But few can do this.
Humans always want answers, whether it be a religious or scientific explanation. What makes the universe tick? from where this seemingly perfect order arise? The atheist says physics, the religious say a creator, both attach dogma to the unknowable, whether it be atheist dogma of a purely mechanical universe or religious dogma that there is a creator behind it all. For the atheist can never really know if there is something beyond just physics just as every religious person with a sense of inquiry has to confront doubt (which conveniently is the work of the devil). Faith is one of the ways of resolving this unknowable, cultivating a deep love for Christ as Christians do or to Allah as muslims do). Letting faith swell the heart, allowing love to blossom so that it touches the divine….this is powerful stuff that the religious are able to manifest, but for me, at the end of the day, it is all a construct to resolve the unknowable.

And so we create a schism, a dichotomy, a split, between two explanations that are only explanations created by the inability to just simply hang and accept the unknowable nature of the universe.
This for me is the sweet spot. Embracing and accepting deeply the unknowable. I can look at the biodiversity of insects here at Totumas, or the stars at night, or the weather that exhales and inhales daily. As a scientist I can do taxonomy on a sub family of moths and tease out the genus and the species and the possible candidates that are new to science. This is a cerebral exercise. At the same time I can walk in the forest and feel a hum there like the entire ecosystem is integrated and this can be down right metaphysical in how seemingly perfect it all fits together.

I like hanging in the unknowable, maybe the question mark is my talisman.

This probably wont satisfy your curiosity Onlooker, since it didn't do much to confirm your belief in some divine order. But that is the best I can do.

My views are something more than simply being agnostic, which is on the fence. I don’t see myself on the fence, because the fence for me is a false division that really isn’t even there except for those that want to make this a split between a secular or theist world view. I don’t split this way.

The only thing I really really know for certain, 100% guaranteed bonafide certain, is that those that proclaim that they do know are full of shit. :)
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate