Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Solar Thermal Energy Thread (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: affordable solar energy, base load possible - Nevada rul

Unread postby o2ny » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 16:08:45

I couldn't find any record of 'Solar Renewable Energy-1, LLC' after doing a few google searches, so this is really starting to like yet another smoke and mirrors con-game by this company. People investing in this stock must not realize that these press releases are put out by the company itself, and are not investigated or sanctioned in any way. The stock was up over 100% earlier today, which is I assume when the insiders took their profits.
o2ny
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby aflurry » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 17:55:28

bonjaski wrote:"
The thin acrylic lens focuses the sun like a huge magnifying glass
...no i am sure some doomers will tell me,
that we are runing out of glass

acrylic is not glass.
aflurry
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Caoimhan » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 20:34:32

aflurry wrote:

acrylic is not glass.

No. It's made from oil.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bonjaski » Mon 13 Feb 2006, 09:37:24

Caoimhan wrote:
aflurry wrote:

acrylic is not glass.

No. It's made from oil.

there are many different ways to produce acrylnitrile

propylene for example could be made from methanol, and there are differents ways to produce methanol without oil
http://www.lurgi.de/deutsch/nbsp/menu/m ... index.html

if we talk in a chemical way about oil peak:
all we did with oil,
will be possible also without oil

doomers can't argue there,
they need such silly theories, like those of malthus
or theorie of complexity :))
bonjaski
Peat
Peat

SunOvens

Unread postby PeakOiler » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 11:04:37

Matt Savinar is a SunOven dealer now. He's offering a temporary discount if you check LATOC-Breaking News

Also check SunOven.com

I bought the same model at the Renewable Energy Roundup three years ago.

The tabletop SunOven Matt shows on his website is the model I have. My only criticism is it's not big enough. So I may take Matt up on his introductory offer and get another one.

Matt: if you read this, can you tell us how much SunOven International charges for the oven the size shown at SunOven's home page? (The one on the trailer, that is...)

Edit: I ate solar-baked cinnamon rolls just before I typed this.
:)
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: SunOvens

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:20:43

PeakOiler wrote:Matt Savinar is a SunOven dealer now. He's offering a temporary discount if you check LATOC-Breaking News

Also check SunOven.com

I bought the same model at the Renewable Energy Roundup three years ago.

The tabletop SunOven Matt shows on his website is the model I have. My only criticism is it's not big enough. So I may take Matt up on his introductory offer and get another one.

Matt: if you read this, can you tell us how much SunOven International charges for the oven the size shown at SunOven's home page? (The one on the trailer, that is...)

Edit: I ate solar-baked cinnamon rolls just before I typed this.
:)

You mean the mega sized industrial sized ones? I don't know, but if you call them I'm sure they can tell you.

If you've got a house in the burbs, one of those suckers would look great out on your front lawn.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Auntie_Cipation » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:26:51

We just ordered one. :-D

Woodcutter and I pride ourselves in making things (usually from scavenged materials if possible) instead of buying them.

I'd collected several sets of instructions on building solar ovens, saved some good-sized cardboard boxes, bought some special aluminum tape, and was getting ready to try to concoct a solar oven.

But when we saw the opportunity to buy one from Matt, we decided to go for it.

I might still build one on my own someday (since we have no oven at all right now, I can see it being useful to potentially have more than one solar oven). But in the meantime, I can focus my attention on learning to bake good bread instead of building the oven. And it feels good to support a fellow peakoiler like Matt in the process.
"... among the ways available in which a man can die, it is a rare and signal distinction to be killed by a leopard."

-- Raymond Dasmann
Auntie_Cipation
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:37:41

Auntie_Cipation wrote:We just ordered one. :-D

Woodcutter and I pride ourselves in making things (usually from scavenged materials if possible) instead of buying them.

I'd collected several sets of instructions on building solar ovens, saved some good-sized cardboard boxes, bought some special aluminum tape, and was getting ready to try to concoct a solar oven.

But when we saw the opportunity to buy one from Matt, we decided to go for it.

I might still build one on my own someday (since we have no oven at all right now, I can see it being useful to potentially have more than one solar oven). But in the meantime, I can focus my attention on learning to bake good bread instead of building the oven. And it feels good to support a fellow peakoiler like Matt in the process.

Auntie Cipation,

Much thanks. Your purchase will help finance my "escape from surburbia" fund.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby PeakOiler » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:44:10

MattSavinar wrote:
You mean the mega sized industrial sized ones? I don't know, but if you call them I'm sure they can tell you.

If you've got a house in the burbs, one of those suckers would look great out on your front lawn.

Best,

Matt

Good idea, Matt. I think I will inquire SunOven.com on the big ones, but I may also try building a larger one myself.

Since I don't live in suburbia, I can't show the SunOven off in my front yard. I have, however, taken the oven to work a few times for demonstrations.

I still tend to overcook stuff in the solar oven. One can't say they don't work, that's certain!
Last edited by PeakOiler on Mon 19 Jun 2006, 13:06:15, edited 1 time in total.
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 13:02:10

PeakOiler wrote:
MattSavinar wrote:

Best,

Matt

Good idea, Matt. I think I will inquire SunOven.com on the big ones, but I may also try building a larger one myself.

Since I don't live in suburbia, I can't show the SunOven off in my front yard. !

Too bad.Would be a lot of fun to see the neighbor's reactions. I'd like put one out along with my 40 foot tall fire breathing mechanical Jesus that admonishes passerbys to "turn or burn, turn or burn!"

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby WisJim » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 22:44:19

We've been using our SunOven for 10 years or more. Bought it at an early energy fair in central Wisconsin--it is one of the older white colored ones. Still works fine, should last many more years. Probably would be in better shape if it wasn't rained on and blown off the porch in a strong wind, but that only bent up the reflectors a bit and that happened quite a few years ago.

We have also built solar ovens with cardboard, aluminum foil and a piece of glass, and the home made ones seem to work just find, side by side with the SunOven, but the SunOven is easier to pack up and more durable.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby simontay78 » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 02:13:08

I had found a Step by Step Instructionon how to build the SUN OVEN!
simontay78
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Caoimhan » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 09:55:11

simontay78 wrote:I had found a Step by Step Instructionon how to build the SUN OVEN!

This is a sun oven, but not a SUN OVEN.

While building your own on the cheap is fine, you just need to remember that you get what you pay for.

The one that Matt's company is selling appears to be rugged, durable, and easy to use (self-leveling rack, 9 position leveling leg), easy to pack and carry, etc...

I don't begrudge $200 for a well-made unit that will last 20 years. I could spend $200 on a gas grill that might last me 5 years.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby simontay78 » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 13:12:56

Caoimhan wrote:
simontay78 wrote:I had found a Step by Step Instructionon how to build the SUN OVEN!

While building your own on the cheap is fine, you just need to remember that you get what you pay for.

The one that Matt's company is selling appears to be rugged, durable, and easy to use (self-leveling rack, 9 position leveling leg), easy to pack and carry, etc...

I don't begrudge $200 for a well-made unit that will last 20 years. I could spend $200 on a gas grill that might last me 5 years.

I agreed to what you had said after reviewing the instructions...it's not a long lasting sun oven with the material used such as flimsy cardboard and plastic...hmm.....
simontay78
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MattSavinar » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 16:43:32

Caoimhan wrote:

The "Global Sun Oven" is indeed the best. Obviously, I'm biased but it was something I had concluded long before I thought of selling them myself. There are other solar cookers, some quite good that cost less ($150 or so) but the GSO is the "cadillac" of solar cookers.

There are foldable ones made out of cardboard and aluminum foil for $25. They will get the trick done if money is really tight. I'm going to be selling those at some point because I realize many people simply don't have $200 no matter how good a product might be. But this is one of those (rare) products where if you do have the money, it actually is worth it.

In my mind the GS0's 20 plus year expected lifetime is the item' major selling point. That's what sold me on it, I thought to myself "yeah $200 is a bit pricey but f--k, if the sucker's gonna last 20 years or longer, I'd gladly pay it." (I also had a friend who had one and told me they were great.) I don't know why the company that makes them (Sun oven International) doesn't make the item's lifetime a bigger part of their promotional literature. To me that's a really big deal. My guess is the type of person who is interested in a sun oven would also get excited by the fact it's built to last.

Anyways, if I sell enough of these, I'm getting me a solar powered yurt in the woods. Link 5 or 6 of those suckers together and I'll have the infrastructure necessary for my apocalyptic religous cult . . . I mean post-oil "multicultural eco community."

(note: the news page of the site will be updated about twice a week and I'll be adding solar lanterns and those "kill-a-watt" devices shortly.)

If anybody wants to start a thread about "green business" or peak oil related business I'll be glad to share what I've learned most of which has been through trial and error (also known as "fucking things up" along the way.)

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby KhanCEO » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 17:14:04

Matt,

When I heard you said you were going to sell solar supplies, I honestly thought you were kidding. However I first noticed it on http://www.carolynbaker.org/ a few days ago. Said 50 dollars off a solar cooker and had your name on it.
Stop Breeding!
KhanCEO
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 18:26:30

KhanCEO wrote:Matt,

When I heard you said you were going to sell solar supplies, I honestly thought you were kidding. However I first noticed it on http://www.carolynbaker.org/ a few days ago. Said 50 dollars off a solar cooker and had your name on it.

Why? To me it seems a natural off shoot. We're running out of everything from oil to natural gas to timber. The sun oven cooks food and boils water without any use of fossil fuels or timber or dung, all of which are either getting scarcer or contribute to global warming. The perfect device for somebody who anybody who believes civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby KhanCEO » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 19:02:00

MattSavinar wrote:
KhanCEO wrote:Matt,

Why? To me it seems a natural off shoot. We're running out of everything from oil to natural gas to timber. The sun oven cooks food and boils water without any use of fossil fuels or timber or dung, all of which are either getting scarcer or contribute to global warming. The perfect device for somebody who anybody who believes civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon.

Best,

Matt

I'm going to one up you Matt; I'm going to sell horses =p.(Still thinking about how to get started)
Stop Breeding!
KhanCEO
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby elocs » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 22:21:14

WisJim wrote:We've been using our SunOven for 10 years or more. Bought it at an early energy fair in central Wisconsin--it is one of the older white colored ones. Still works fine, should last many more years. Probably would be in better shape if it wasn't rained on and blown off the porch in a strong wind, but that only bent up the reflectors a bit and that happened quite a few years ago.

We have also built solar ovens with cardboard, aluminum foil and a piece of glass, and the home made ones seem to work just find, side by side with the SunOven, but the SunOven is easier to pack up and more durable.

I'm also in western Wisconsin and I have been using my Sun Oven since March. To get the sun I need to have the oven on the side of my house by the street and I have had many people ask me about it. I have even had people knock on my door to ask what is was. I have made nearly everything I could make in my oven inside with it except for pizza. It's a big kick making ordinary things just using the power of the sun. It cooks rice quite nicely.

I also think that having the knowledge to make a sun oven would be handy come PO. There will probably be lots of people who would like to have a way to cook their food when other methods become expensive or nonexistent.
elocs
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Frank » Wed 21 Jun 2006, 08:29:10

Solar cooking is great and I'd like to point out that one of the best places to encourage their use is in Central/South American countries and other rainforest areas. Use of solar "technology" enhances those peoples lifestyle and results in less trees being cut for cooking fuel.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology