Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Solar System Thread (merged)

Re: THE Solar System Thread (merged)

Unread postby Whitefang » Sat 07 Nov 2015, 17:09:19

Fermi's Paradox by major scientist

Where are they?

I'll just give the correct response, all around us in energetic internal now.
One can verify all by learning how to save energy, and just do it instead of talk, write.
On the alien issue......we intuit beings around us but lack the tools to improve our understanding, our mind has to be dethroned, words that make us feel good but do nothing...headbanging.

We'd shit our pants if we'd become aware of inorganic life around us, one only has to stop talking to oneself, but to sustain a sight outside the normal bubble we percieve you need to save up personal power, freedom.
We do percieve with our inorganic self but forget the life we live in the other attention, bummer as we are strange creatures that make our lives decisions with our inorganic body of feelings, where our energy and power is.
The world of words is but a shadow on that cave's wall, very limited but cosy and warm, a description of something real. Endless abyss all around...bbbbrrrrrr.
What we do are shields that protect us from the unknown.
Truth is an internal affair.

Trick is to keep normal perception to keep living and make excursions, peek into the unknown.
Fairly simple to get there but we tremble and dare not open the bubble of perception.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Sat 07 Nov 2015, 18:05:33

Whitefang wrote:
Fermi's Paradox by major scientist

Where are they?

I'll just give the correct response, all around us in energetic internal now.
One can verify all by learning how to save energy, and just do it instead of talk, write.
On the alien issue......we intuit beings around us but lack the tools to improve our understanding, our mind has to be dethroned, words that make us feel good but do nothing...headbanging.

We'd shit our pants if we'd become aware of inorganic life around us, one only has to stop talking to oneself, but to sustain a sight outside the normal bubble we percieve you need to save up personal power, freedom.
We do percieve with our inorganic self but forget the life we live in the other attention, bummer as we are strange creatures that make our lives decisions with our inorganic body of feelings, where our energy and power is.
The world of words is but a shadow on that cave's wall, very limited but cosy and warm, a description of something real. Endless abyss all around...bbbbrrrrrr.
What we do are shields that protect us from the unknown.
Truth is an internal affair.

Trick is to keep normal perception to keep living and make excursions, peek into the unknown.
Fairly simple to get there but we tremble and dare not open the bubble of perception.

Could someone translate what Whitefang is saying here.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 06:54:24

Hihi, no worries cog, just some Sunday babble on perception. :-D
What I'm saying is that we are only aware of a description made by mind and internal dialogue housed by our physical body.....the world from A to Z as we know it.
Once that dialogue collapses we can peek into the real thing.

There is much more to us and whatever is around us then our petty mind makes us believe. Like having a body of feelings/energy/light, without mass and capable of nearly everything....living it's life, aware of our organic life and feelings.
That is our way out, explore the unknown.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

fire balls and blue clouds

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 17:28:11

http://www.spaceweather.com/

The Taurid pictured above did something usually reserved for the sun or Moon. It made an ice halo. Bright light from the exploding meteoroid illuminated six-sided ice crystals in clouds ~10 km above Earth's surface. The result was type of ice halo called a "circumscribed halo." Although the meteor itself may appear to be "punching through the cloud deck," it was in fact much higher--about 50 km above the icy clouds it illuminated.

Earth runs unto the debris zone of Comet Encke every year around this time. Usually, the encounter produces a minor meteor shower, but 2015 is different. "This is higher than usual activity," says meteor expert Peter Brown of the University of Western Ontario. "The Canadian Meteor Orbit Radar (CMOR) is seeing stronger Taurid activity than any of the last few years. Our Southern Ontario Meteor Network cameras caught 54 Taurid fireballs from Oct 31 - Nov 4 alone, compared to 22, 18, and 32 Taurids for the entire month of November in 2014, 2013 and 2012 respectively."

These extra fireballs are coming from a "swarm" of gravelly meteoroids that weaves in and out of Comet Encke's dusty debris zone. In some years, Earth hits the swarm; in other years it misses. 2015 appears to be a hit.

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_up ... lafulbhoe7

As I was preparing to give my outdoor presentation at the annual Nightfall Star Party at the Palm Canyon Resort in Borrego Springs, CA, the southwestern sky lit up in a weird glow. Latest information says it was from a Trident II (D5) missile test launch from an Ohio-class submarine of the coast of San Diego, and was seen for many hundreds of miles. By the time I ran to the car to get my camera, however, the light had subsided and all that remained at 7:08 p.m. was this blue glow over the telescope field.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 05 Dec 2015, 03:20:59

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 02:14:45

Giant comets may threaten Earth
December 22, 2015
... in terms of magnitude, its ranking among natural existential risks appears to be high

Statistically, like winning the lottery.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 19:33:06

Whitefang wrote:Hihi, no worries cog, just some Sunday babble on perception. :-D

There is much more to us and whatever is around us then our petty mind makes us believe. Like having a body of feelings/energy/light, without mass and capable of nearly everything....living it's life, aware of our organic life and feelings.
That is our way out, explore the unknown.

Dude, the 60's ended over 4 decades ago. Explaining away babble with babble about religious assumptions about our massless (and incredibly capable, of course) body isn't exactly meaningful to the real world of science (where actual progress comes from) that produces objective results using things like empirical evidence.

Not that your description makes any less sense than Christianity or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Synapsid » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 20:55:02

Keith,

Have you looked at Eurekalert? The site carries much the same stuff as does Phys.org but is a bit less commercial.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 26 Dec 2015, 00:58:38

Synapsid wrote:Keith,

Have you looked at Eurekalert? The site carries much the same stuff as does Phys.org but is a bit less commercial.

I've been meaning to check out some other sites. What bugs me about Phys.org is:
Researchers propose...
Study identifies ...
Engineers demo ...
Scientists look deeper into ...
Two studies reveal ...
Scientists discover ...
Ecologists find ...
Study reveals ...
Research may lead to ...
Team succeeds in observing ...
etc.

:P
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:57:02

Though I'm not quite clear on why it's in the environment forum, I though this old thread needed a little bump, and some may find this a tad interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... 1474980571

Jupiter's moon Europa may expel water plumes from under icy shell, Nasa says

Evidence shows that moon’s liquid water bursts out into space, meaning that scientists can test samples for signs of life without drilling through miles of ice

Sooo, if there are forms of life in this spewed-out water, could some of it have landed on earth, or be landing here now? Source of viruses, for example? Could very basic DNA or RNA survive from a virus survive space conditions for that long if frozen in a chunk of ice?

I know that one of the authors are quote in the article as saying: "By the time it gets into space, with radiation and cryogenic temperature, it’s not going to survive" --obviously actual living life forms aren't going to survive, but maybe tiny chunks of RNA/DNA? (Assuming that something like that would be the basis for life there.)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 15:20:15

I think it started out in this forum because a set of people used to push the idea that Mars and other planets are warming from increased solar output so CO2 is not a GHG.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 27 Sep 2016, 15:38:36

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 02 May 2018, 16:17:40

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Zarquon » Sat 05 May 2018, 20:46:41

dohboi wrote:
Sooo, if there are forms of life in this spewed-out water, could some of it have landed on earth, or be landing here now? Source of viruses, for example? Could very basic DNA or RNA survive from a virus survive space conditions for that long if frozen in a chunk of ice?

I know that one of the authors are quote in the article as saying: "By the time it gets into space, with radiation and cryogenic temperature, it’s not going to survive" --obviously actual living life forms aren't going to survive, but maybe tiny chunks of RNA/DNA? (Assuming that something like that would be the basis for life there.)

Perhaps it doesn't have to be chunks of DNA. Just shoot a few of these pets to Phobos and see how they'll do. After a few years they'll probably own the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

"Tardigrades are considered to be able to survive even complete global mass extinction events due to astrophysical events, such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, or large meteorite impacts.[10][11] Some of them can withstand extremely cold temperatures down to 1 K (-458 °F; -272 °C) (close to absolute zero), while others can withstand extremely hot temperatures up to 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)[34] for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space.[35] They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.
Tardigrades are the first known animal to survive in space. In September 2007, dehydrated tardigrades were taken into low Earth orbit on the FOTON-M3 mission carrying the BIOPAN astrobiology payload. For 10 days, groups of tardigrades were exposed to the hard vacuum of outer space, or vacuum and solar UV radiation.[3][60][61] After being rehydrated back on Earth, over 68% of the subjects protected from high-energy UV radiation revived within 30 minutes following rehydration, but subsequent mortality was high; many of these produced viable embryos.[52][62] In contrast, hydrated samples exposed to the combined effect of vacuum and full solar UV radiation had significantly reduced survival, with only three subjects of Milnesium tardigradum surviving.[52] In May 2011, Italian scientists sent tardigrades on board the International Space Station along with extremophiles on STS-134, the final flight of Space Shuttle Endeavour.[63][64][65] Their conclusion was that microgravity and cosmic radiation "did not significantly affect survival of tardigrades in flight, confirming that tardigrades represent a useful animal for space research."[66] In November 2011, they were among the organisms to be sent by the U.S.-based Planetary Society on the Russian Fobos-Grunt mission's Living Interplanetary Flight Experiment to Phobos; however, the launch failed. Tardigrades are one of the few groups to have survived Earth's five mass extinctions."
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate