Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Solar Cell Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Solar Cell Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 24 Jul 2015, 18:19:22

Perovskite solar technology shows quick energy returns

Solar panels are an investment -- not only in terms of money, but also energy. It takes energy to mine, process and purify raw materials, and then to manufacture and install the final product.

Silicon-based panels, which dominate the market for solar power, usually need about two years to return this energy investment. But for technology made with perovskites -- a class of materials causing quite a buzz in the solar research community -- the energy payback time could be as quick as two to three months.

By this metric, perovskite modules are better than any solar technology that is commercially available today.

These are the findings of a study by scientists at Northwestern University and the U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory. The study took a broad perspective in evaluating solar technology: In what's called a cradle-to-grave life cycle assessment, scientists traced a product from the mining of its raw materials until its retirement in a landfill. They determined the ecological impacts of making a solar panel and calculated how long it would take to recover the energy invested.

sciencedaily
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Master
Master

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 26 Jul 2015, 17:44:28

Changing The Colour Of Light To Boost Solar Efficiency

Researchers at the University of Delaware say that by changing the colour of light, they can create more efficient solar cells and even improve cancer treatments.

Light is made up of various colours and a standard solar cell can’t make use of all of them. For example, the energy from infrared wavelengths is wasted as heat. But if that infrared light could be changed to blue or green; it would allow the cell to generate more electricity.

The researchers forecast their approach to changing the colour of light could increase the efficiency of commercial solar cells by 25 to 30 percent. Now they have the funds to pursue their work after a $1 million grant from the W.M. Keck Foundation.

energymatters
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Master
Master

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:29:35

Butterfly Flaps Its Wings, Sparks Solar Energy Breakthrough

From the wonderful world of biomimicry comes a solar energy breakthrough based on the posture at rest of a small butterfly called the Cabbage White. Who knew that voguing is still a thing? Apparently, this stylin’ butterfly forms a uniquely angled “V” with its wings, which according to new research from the UK’s University of Exeter indicates a new pathway for developing lighter, more efficient solar energy harvesting systems.

Loosely speaking, solar energy is concentrated as it bounces back and forth down the V of the wings, and the Cabbage White is especially good at it.

In terms of biomimicry, the butterfly wings resemble v-shaped concentrated solar systems, in which special mirrors reflect and concentrate sunlight onto photovoltaic cells.

That’s not all. The unique substructures in the wing of the Cabbage White make the reflection itself highly efficient, which means that solar energy reaches the flight muscles more quickly.

Skipping ahead to the final result of a lengthy study (you can find the whole thing in Scientific Reports), the researchers found that at an optimal wing angle of approximately 17 degrees, the Cabbage White could increase its body temperature by 7.3 degrees. That’s compared to when the wings are held flat, which unfortunately was probably not very comfortable for the butterfly.

That’s still not all. When the team attached butterfly wings (ouch!) to a conventional solar cell, they achieved a 42% increase in power output, increasing the power-to-weight ratio of the overall structure 17-fold.

cleantechnica
Graeme
Master
Master

Unread postby StarvingLion » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 01:40:38

http://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Mafia-plu ... 88706.html

Mafia is plundering the German solar parks...lol

NTV writes that damages from solar module theft in Germany runs in the tens of millions of euros annually

No hope for the solar scam.
EV's are fuel-less automobiles and Thorium Reactors are fuel-less reactors. Perfect.
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sat 08 Aug 2015, 21:42:21

The Green Plague

Here is the problem. Look up the cost of Ivanpah Solar on Wikipedia. It costs as much as a nuclear power plant and makes 1/10 of the usable power (allowing for capacity factor). It covers 3,500 Acres. That means to get just 1/2 of Obamas Renewable power from a facility like that (and they are on the drawing boards and in the permit process NOW) the USA will have to build at least 1000 of these solar furnaces. to get 10% “renewable” increase. And they still get half of their power from NatGas. They will cover 3,500,000 Acres, and the total construction cost will be 22,000 Billion [That is 22 trillion] Now give the builders a 33% Green energy rebate (7 trillion from the US treasury), and their tax cuts, etc. Do the same for Wind Farms and then allow for inflation, and the fact that electricity will double in cost do to the lack of COAL power plants and ask your self again who wants green energy? Who is going to make money and whos pocket is that money coming out of. And Half of the power coming from these solar furnaces will be coming from NatGas. Wake up,....YOU ARE ALL DOOMED
EV's are fuel-less automobiles and Thorium Reactors are fuel-less reactors. Perfect.
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Sat 08 Aug 2015, 23:44:33

Yair . . .

I believe we need a dentist with a bow and arrow.

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kanon » Fri 28 Aug 2015, 07:21:29

StarvingLion wrote:The Green Plague

Here is the problem. . . . It costs as much as a nuclear power plant and makes 1/10 of the usable power. . . . Who is going to make money and whos pocket is that money coming out of. Wake up,....YOU ARE ALL DOOMED

We are certainly doomed if we follow your advice. The corporate oligarch model will not work with renewable energy, and that is your actual point. The WTO has ruled against India's solar power initiative WTO Ruling Against India's Solar Push. The WTO is obviously protecting the corporate oligarchy. The so-called conservatives require fossil fuels because the technology draws people into the system and the fuel costs keep them working and upstreaming their surplus. I am not at all impressed with comparisons of energy production by oligarch technologies because the point is political, not practical.
kanon
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby GHung » Sat 29 Aug 2015, 09:12:04

Starving Lion is typical of the all-or-nothing mega-scale thinking that only huge, complex, top-down systems are viable in today's societies. He skips the part where today's complex society itself is becoming less viable every day. Folks like this see any technology that can be adopted on a local level, by individuals or small communities, as a threat, likely because they're too inept, too stupid, or too invested in a failing industrial age meme to make it work for themselves. They're all in for industrialism and burning shit. Therefore, they dismiss and invalidate anyone or anything that opts out of their 21st century traps.

I don't give a shit if solar works at scale under the criteria dictated by a failing paradigm. I don't need it to. Scares the crap out of some folks. Here at our place, solar has been working, and continues to work, magnificently.

Fear the solar. We don't need you anymore to keep our lights on.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 15:32:46

Study: current crystalline silicon photovoltaic technology is capable of delivering terawatt-scale power by 2050

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/09/curr ... od-enough/
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 02 Oct 2015, 16:56:01

This is mostly hype but I'm posting it anyway because it shows that Musk doesn't deserve the ridicule he's been getting from doomers here. It's not like he wants all his cars powered off of fossil-fuel-generated electricity.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/20 ... eakthrough
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
permanently banned

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 02 Oct 2015, 17:51:29

In related news, Musk plans on nuking Mars to make it inhabitable . . . in a hurry. Colbert says Elon Musk Might Be A Super Villain
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 02 Oct 2015, 18:09:20

pstarr wrote:In related news, Musk plans on nuking Mars to make it inhabitable . . . in a hurry. Colbert says Elon Musk Might Be A Super Villain

I see where this is going. Planty can keep complaining about Obama bowing for the Saudi king and wearing a brown suit and you can keep trawling for whatever you can to mock Elon Musk. Have fun if that's what floats your boat.
Last edited by ennui2 on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 18:15:35, edited 1 time in total.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
permanently banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 02 Oct 2015, 18:13:15

ennui2 wrote:….Obama bowing for the Saudi kind and wearing a brown suit….

????

Jeez---what kind of wacky things are you fantasizing about now?

What in heaven's name is wrong with wearing a brown suit?

And what do you mean by the "Saudi kind"?

Do you mean as opposed to the New England kind like you? :lol:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 02 Oct 2015, 18:18:55

Uh, oh. Planty found a typo in my post. How can I live with myself now?

For a little refresher (and I'm sure you really don't need one).
http://peakoil.com/publicpolicy/preside ... saudi-king

"I’m OK with obama going to see the new king. I just hope he doesn’t start bowing and scraping again like he he always does when he meets royalty."

Har dee, har har. We get your shtick. You hate Obama and every little move he makes is subject to your instant outrage and mockery. Like that has any relevance to peak oil whatsoever...

BTW, you said "he he". A little early onset Parkinson's at the keyboard Planty? I expect your keyboard skills to be flawless, otherwise I might have to suggest you see a doctor. Is that patronizing enough for you? Because that's your standard way of treating people you don't like, condescension.
ennui2
permanently banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 02 Oct 2015, 18:27:16

ennui2 wrote: We get your shtick. You hate Obama and every little move he makes is subject to your instant outrage and mockery. Like that has any relevance to peak oil whatsoever...

I don't hate obama. I do occasionally criticize his policies and yes, I make jokes about Obama playing golf all the time or being outsmarted by Putin. And why not? Obama displays a strange combination of arrogance and incompetence, and its all pretty funny sometimes, doncha know.

And anyway, now you're the one making fun of obama because he wore a brown suit. I can't imagine why that does't meet your approval, but whatever floats your boat. 8)

Obama chewing a big wad of nicorette gum while wearing his spiffiest brown suit
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby misterno » Tue 10 May 2016, 22:03:44

Cost of solar power is now below 2.99 cents/kwh

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... t-in-dubai

Every year there is another record low. We should have abondon fossil fuels long time ago. Alas, now we are breathing poison just because some desert idiot wants to make money out of us.
misterno
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby misterno » Fri 08 Jul 2016, 13:06:31

Dubai Announces Plans For World's Lowest Cost Solar Plant (2.99 cents per kwh)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mclifford/2 ... 65d1ae2a34

Here is the most important part of the article;

This rock-bottom price offered by the developers doesn’t benefit from any obvious subsidies
misterno
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby misterno » Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:33:02

just when you think you hit the bottom, here is Chile with 2.91 cents per kwh though it does not say if it is subsidized or not

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/08/18/new ... 2-per-kwh/
misterno
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 21:45:58

misterno wrote:Cost of solar power is now below 2.99 cents/kwh

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... t-in-dubai

Every year there is another record low. We should have abondon fossil fuels long time ago. Alas, now we are breathing poison just because some desert idiot wants to make money out of us.

The prices are totally fraudulent. Abandon fossil fuels and you will be chasing after rats for food.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we live in an Idiocracy.

"Cheap" solar and...
"Worthless" fossil fuels...

Please find a rubber room for the true believers.
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby misterno » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 22:32:55

Which one is worse?

People with cancer due to fossil fuels exploding in numbers or paying more for electricity?
misterno
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology