Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Shock Doctrine

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The Shock Doctrine

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 27 May 2014, 19:29:12

Last night, I watched a documentary on Maori television about "The Shock Doctrine". Don't know if any of you have heard of it but if so please comment. If not, you might be interested too. Basically, it's an economic system developed by Milton Friedman from U of Chicago in which capitalists exploit natural and man-made disasters ("shocks") for their exclusive benefit. Naomi Klein has written a book about it with title of thread, and there is also a documentary. Wiki describes the book.

The book argues that the free market policies of Nobel Laureate Milton Friedman have risen to prominence in some countries because of a deliberate strategy of certain leaders to exploit crises by pushing through controversial, exploitative policies while citizens were too busy emotionally and physically reeling from disasters or upheavals to create an effective resistance. It is implied that some man-made crises, such as the Iraq war, may have been created with the intention of pushing through these unpopular reforms in their wake.

The documentary looked at Chile, Argentina, Great Britain, Russia, Iraq and USA (Katrina). Has anyone read the book, seen the documentary or are simply aware of doctrine? If so, comments?
Last edited by Graeme on Tue 27 May 2014, 19:59:50, edited 1 time in total.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The Shock Doctrine

Unread postby charmcitysking » Tue 27 May 2014, 19:58:18

Hey Graeme,

I read this book and it completely changed the way I viewed the world and 20th century history. It also provided a lot of clarity about the true nature of US foreign policy - both official and unofficial. I would recommend it to anyone, as I feel it is a work of monumental importance, but it certainly isn't everyone's type of reading.

It's one of the many works that has pushed me towards a career in teaching and to become a historian of truth.
Last edited by charmcitysking on Tue 27 May 2014, 20:30:45, edited 1 time in total.
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 27 May 2014, 20:00:41

Sorry corrected. Thanks.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby BobInget » Wed 28 May 2014, 10:29:10

BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby clif14 » Wed 28 May 2014, 14:48:02

Graeme,
I read "Shock Doctrine" about 3 years ago and highly recommend it ONLY IF you have an open mind. It will destroy most of what you think you know about US policy and trade practices. We were taught in college that Milton Freidman was a business genius but Ms. Klein proves he was an extraordinary business crook. I quit drinking the MSM kool aid years ago and recently removed my name from voter registration....corporations have bought the legislative process and government only exists to serve the corporate agenda.
clif14
Wood
Wood

Return to Book/Media Reviews