Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Precious Metals: Silver Thread Pt. 2

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: question buying silver

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 21:53:23

Sterling silver pieces are hard to find, silver plate goes for a song. In fact, I couldn't even give it away when I inherited the family serving dishes. Gave it to the Goodwill. Except for the Sterling, of course. :)
Ludi

Re: question buying silver

Unread postby Cloud9 » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 22:09:11

These guys ship. I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. All the kids including the nieces and nephews have the same silver pattern. We typically give place settings as Christmas gifts.

http://www.silverqueen.com/ACCOUNT/INFO/ourstore/
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Buy silver to crash J.P. Morgan

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 16:44:30

Max Keiser, of the Max Keiser report has started a viral campaign to bankrupt J.P. Morgan. J.P. Morgan exec's have apparently 'bet against' a rise in the price of silver through various financial instruments. 'Shorting the market' as its called.

As an ordinary working class man, I have no conception of what this means, or how buying and holding silver will bankrupt a Wall street giant like J.P. Morgan. However millions of ordinary people have taken on his appeal to buy up silver to bankrupt J.P. Morgan:

Url deleted per COC 3.1.9 Messages exhorting others to commit illegal acts: Murder, extortion, and any other felony are expressly forbidden. Threads and posts advocating suicide will be edited or deleted without notice. DOS attacks, hacking, flooding, and all other related computer crimes are also unacceptable. Also included in this is harassment -- for example, encouraging people to call someone on the phone, flood a website/mailbox, etc because they were mentioned in a linked article.
3.1.13 Link baiting: prohibited. Posts created with the primary intent of directing traffic to a web link are prohibited. Such posts are subject to deletion. The behavior is regarded as a serious violation of the COC.

I myself am tempted to go out an buy as much silver as I can possibly afford. Can anyone here explain to me if (or why) this will work?
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 20:19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Url deleted per COC 3.1.9 and 3.1.13.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Buy silver to crash J.P. Morgan

Unread postby Blacksmith » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 17:03:52

Now first let me say that I am no expert, nor do I understand all that is involved.

As I understand, what happened in the past is that companies like J P Morgan would wait till the price of silver went up and then sell their reserves, drive the price down and then buy back their reserves when the price was low and then simply repeat the process.

Now things are quite different, people have lost faith in the dollar and are buying silver as an insurance against inflation. In addition, we have a new player ie China which is sitting on billions of USD.

Silver buffs believe it or not are actually waiting for the price to drop so they can add to their stocks.

J P Morgan since they do not have the silver to drive down the market have resorted to shorting which is simply a bet that silver will go down, if it goes up thay loose their bet. In this case the bet is the difference in price.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 17:04:53

Repent wrote:Max Keiser, of the Max Keiser report has started a viral campaign to bankrupt J.P. Morgan. J.P. Morgan exec's have apparently 'bet against' a rise in the price of silver through various financial instruments. 'Shorting the market' as its called.

As an ordinary working class man, I have no conception of what this means, or how buying and holding silver will bankrupt a Wall street giant like J.P. Morgan. However millions of ordinary people have taken on his appeal to buy up silver to bankrupt J.P. Morgan:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxKeiserTV

I myself am tempted to go out an buy as much silver as I can possibly afford. Can anyone here explain to me if (or why) this will work?

Keiser either has no notion as to how computerised trading works or he has a notion and I've said enough.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 17:47:33

JP Morgan has humongous contracts to deliver silver at lower prices - but they don't have the metal to deliver.

this similar to the situation that was papered over in 1998, the collapse of LTCM. they had a 400 tons of gold, naked short position. i.e. they contracted to deliver and didn't have the metal.

Another part of the silver market is that there are 45 to 100 ounces of paper silver & gold that are traded for every physical ounce of metal. so for every physical ounce that leaves the market - it takes with it 45 to 100 paper ounces.

to get insight into the actual numbers,
http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/

you would have to read him or Ted Butler going back a few months ... or years.

one place to monitor looming shortages of physical is the APMex Top 40 page. normally they have everything. notice that now they are short about 5 specific silver products -
http://www.apmex.com/APMEXTop40/Default.aspx

the bottom line of JPM's silver situation is that they face multi-billion dollar losses as they resolve silver short contracts. they have to buy metal for more than they agreed to sell it for - a great way to lose money.

one would have to analyze all their short contracts and check their cash reserves to find out what amount of silver price rise will cause $X billion worth of losses.

the US already uses more than the current annual US silver production in the creation of silver Eagles. same for China - they keep all of what they mine for gold and silver. in other words, both countries are net importers of silver.

Mexico & Canada are net exporters.

i believe the campaign to break JPM by buying silver is doable.

for example - if 100,000 silver investors each bought an extra 20 ounces a month, that's 2 million ounces a month, 24 million ounces a year. i mean people who bought silver when it was $5 or $15, coming back into the market and buying at $25 (it got down to $25 a week ago Tuesday, Nov. 13 I think.)

the immediate effect of that would be physical shortages.

in the silver market, they use the futures/options market to perform price discovery, and that sets the prices in the physical market.

what happens when the futures market is manipulated to drive precious metal prices down - a key part of the "strong dollar policy" adopted by the US some years ago - is that all you can buy is 1000 ounce industrial bars. e.g. when silver fell from $20 to $9 in 2008.

i won't just imply it, i'll say it - JP Morgan and HSBC naked short positions in the gold & silver markets have been a key factor in maintaining the value of the dollar - relative to other currencies. it helps to watch the markets "live" -

while it is possible for Max Keiser's idea to hurt JP Morgan profits, there is an aspect of silver investor psychology to consider. now that silver has been in the $25 to $29 range for a few months, many older silver investors won't buy when silver gets above $27. because they are waiting to buy on the dip. if silver got above $30 they would say, "it's been fun, Max, but ..."

but yes, if a group or country with a lot of money wanted to bankrupt JPMorgan, they could do it by allocating $50 to $100 Billion and buying physical silver. that would drive the price of silver to un-knowable highs, and would force JPMorgan to close out their naked short contracts by buying silver at those new high prices.

there is some threshold, maybe $60, maybe $80, maybe $100, that will by definition bankrupt JPMorgan because they don't have enough money to deliver on their short positions and would default.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 18:01:42

I'ld agree with this scenario if it was a case of competing market makers in the routine business of trading. But to suggest that anyone can co-ordinate a market maker magnitude campaign to destroy a named market maker is just plain old idiocy and fails to take account of the many reasons behind market moves.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 18:04:21

This is the funnest thread yet. Those are the guy's who own all the precious metals. The Rothchilds alone have an estimated worth of 400 trillion in assests. Buying silver is just feeding the beast. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Blacksmith » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 18:09:20

The silver to gold ratio is currently around 50 to 1, which is way out of whack. It should be closer to it historic norm, which is 16-to-1. This means that gold is relatively over-valued, and silver is under-valued and has a lot of catching up to do.

According to AGI Data Sheet 57.1, "Abundance of Elements," on average silver occurs at 0.07 parts per million, and gold at 0.004 parts per million in the earth's crust. Thus the naturally occurring ratio is 17.5:1.

The earth currently yields about 80 million ounces of gold per year, and about 650 million ounces of silver per year. (1: 8.125) These figures are in the same ballpark with total planetary production of the two metals from the dawn of recorded history, which is about 4.5 billion ounces of gold and 44 billion ounces of silver. (1: 3.89)

I believe it is as important if not more important to watch the gold to silver ratio as it is to watch the price of gold and/or silver.

Feed the beast with worthless USD.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 18:13:01

vision-master

Unread postby Blacksmith » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 18:17:19

It is interesting to view the ratio of USD in circulation to the gold reserves of the United States.

1945 $39/ troy ounce
1961 $65/ troy ounce
1963 $81/ troy ounce
1968 $135/ troy ounce
1971 $199/ troy ounce
2010 $3700/ troy ounce
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 19:59:26

Most people I buy Christmas presents for are adults. I've found that a bottle of expensive wine is a socially acceptable gift.

This year to help with the fall of JP Morgan I'll be buying things that contain silver. Silver trays, mirrors, and many type of decorative ornaments have silver content. I bet many of them are as pricey as a bottle of expensive wine.

Bye Bye JP Morgan.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Niagara » Sun 28 Nov 2010, 20:39:24

It'll never happen.

JPM is on the "too big to fail" list. Their losses will fall on the backs of the tax-paying stiffs.
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 23:50:11

Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Blacksmith » Tue 30 Nov 2010, 10:08:27

Thank you, my sincere thanks goes out to the "lunitic fringe". Now all us crazies will be rich. :lol:
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Denny » Wed 01 Dec 2010, 01:44:48

Niagara wrote:It'll never happen.

JPM is on the "too big to fail" list. Their losses will fall on the backs of the tax-paying stiffs.

I suspect you are right.

Such a scam this is. JPM makes as bet, and if it goes right, they get even wealthier. Vastly so. If it goes sour, they just call up their White House buddy and the storm blows over.

I remember there is an old saying abut the dangers of short selling: "He who sells what isn't his'n, must buy it back or go to prison."

But, in all likelihood, JPM would make a case that not only should their execs stay out of prison, but they need even more in the way of bonuses, so they don't lose them to the competitition.

The fix is in.

We have become serfs to the Wall St. royalty.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Wed 01 Dec 2010, 02:44:22

americandream wrote:Keiser either has no notion as to how computerised trading works or he has a notion and I've said enough.

I think Max Kaiser, Jello Biafra, and Norm Macdonald are secretly the same person...:wink:
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 04 Dec 2010, 14:31:10

Google and Youtube now are censoring searches for "Buy silver crash JP Morgan":

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 266818/pg1

This is why:

http://maxkeiser.com/2010/11/15/917000- ... uy-silver/

Just like they try to censor wikileaks and Ron Paul. Truth is being supressed. Fascism has arrived.

Spread the word far and wide preserve freedom of speech and democracy- buy silver to destroy the Nazi elities!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 04 Dec 2010, 18:19:51

Repent wrote:Google and Youtube now are censoring searches for "Buy silver crash JP Morgan": http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 266818/pg1

I just did that search "Buy silver crash JP Morgan" no problems, hundreds of hits!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 05 Dec 2010, 14:55:11

View a very funny cartoon explaining why JP Morgan is about to fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl47z2g2 ... r_embedded (Then go buy some more silver)

PS: its working: http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance