Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The POSITIVE side to Global Warming...

Re: The POSITIVE side to Global Warming...

Unread postby meemoe_uk » Tue 16 Feb 2010, 11:07:44

Life in britain would be a lot better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGvCvrcedA
If I could wave a magic wand and raise global temps by 3C, I'd do it.
Don't see any bikinis or poolside frolics today in the wind and snow and 1C temps where I live.
meemoe_uk
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 16 Feb 2010, 13:47:36

Tanada wrote:Alright in honor of the so called holiday today I am trying to be optimistic. Therefore please use this thread to put news and views on the POSITIVE effects of living in a warmer world.

First plus, its will be a lot easier to explore for resources in the Arctic and Antarctic regions. Offshore North Slope Alaska and northern Canada are expected to yield a lot of mineral resources that people desire to exploit.

Actually on the North Slope work is limited to a 3-4 month period in winter when the ground is sufficiently frozen for seismic and drilling operations, which will be impacted by sustained warming of the environment. This limited window of opportunity to work is one reason why exploiting ANWR would take almost a decade, minimum. Another is the fact that shipping routes are only open 2-3 months in the summer; certainly with vastly reduced sea ice this period could increase, but you would then be faced with an unprecedented number of icebergs to deal with. Billion-tonne iceberg could be Arctic shipping hazard

In 2005, a 66-sq.-km chunk of the Ayles Ice Shelf on Ellesmere Island’s northern coast broke free and began drifting south. Federal scientists kept a close watch on the resulting Ayles Ice Island as it tracked a worrisome route toward the Beaufort Sea, a hot spot for oil exploration.

But in August 2007, the five-by-15-km slab turned down a dead-end channel between Meighen and Axel Heiberg islands, where scientists expected it to slowly break up — probably over decades — and become an anonymous part of the Arctic pack ice.

EIA - Analysis of Crude Oil Production in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 23 Feb 2010, 11:39:36

But less ice also spells opportunity. Under a 1982 international treaty called the Convention on the Law of the Sea, Arctic nations can claim sea floor as national territory if they can prove, by mapping the ocean floor, that the areas are extensions of their continental shelves. The implications are staggering because an estimated 22 percent of the world’s undiscovered oil and gas reserves lies beneath Arctic seas, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Energy and ocean policy consultant Paul Kelly calls the potential expansion “the greatest division of lands on earth possibly ever to occur, if you add up claims around the world.”

The United States, which stands to gain territory the size of California, is woefully behind in the race to develop its territorial claims, critics say. Russia and Norway have already submitted claim applications to a United Nations-based commission that will help determine ownership. Russia and Canada have beefed up their Arctic military forces, and Canada has installed sensors on Devon Island in the high arctic to detect rogue ships.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... z0gNFcjk6k
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 10 Aug 2010, 20:53:20

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere ... dw.000.png

It sure looks to me as if the Northwest passage is open for business today.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 16:08:51

A new one occurred to me this morning looking out the window at the fields now almost bare of snow. The Weather sure isn't boring any more, it changes so fast and so hard that it keeps you on your toes.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 16:28:08

Yes, Lovelock used to talk about what an exciting time it will be--that is if you are not starving, dying of thirst, being hacked to death by a ravenous mob, or being washed out to sea by a super storm! :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 16:31:16

dohboi wrote:Yes, Lovelock used to talk about what an exciting time it will be--that is if you are not starving, dying of thirst, being hacked to death by a ravenous mob, or being washed out to sea by a super storm! :-D

I dunno about you but being chased by a mob of hungry, thirsty, machete armed people through a hurricane sounds pretty exciting to me :P
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 16:41:03

LOL--no, really, I did laugh out loud at that one. Thanks. We all need a chuckle now and then, no matter how gallows the humor.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 17:34:33

meemoe_uk wrote:Life in britain would be a lot better....
If I could wave a magic wand and raise global temps by 3C, I'd do it.

Of course London would be mostly underwater due to sea level rise but things would be peachy other than that :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 18:38:01

Dohboi, sometimes we laugh because it hurts too much to cry.

Plantagenet, London under water might suit a lot of the people on Great Britain, after all Scotland is having a vote one of these days about resuming a separated relationship from the United Kingdom. :-D :twisted: :lol:
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 15 Jan 2014, 01:36:54

Tanada wrote:
dohboi wrote:Yes, Lovelock used to talk about what an exciting time it will be--that is if you are not starving, dying of thirst, being hacked to death by a ravenous mob, or being washed out to sea by a super storm! :-D

I dunno about you but being chased by a mob of hungry, thirsty, machete armed people through a hurricane sounds pretty exciting to me :P
Were you a B-movie screenwriter in a previous life?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 15 Jan 2014, 01:41:25

Plantagenet wrote:Of course London would be mostly underwater due to sea level rise but things would be peachy other than that :roll:
Gives a new meaning to "London fog".
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 Jan 2014, 10:30:59

Keith_McClary wrote:
Tanada wrote:

Were you a B-movie screenwriter in a previous life?

:P When did you get your sense of humor surgically removed? :P 8O :shock: :-D
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nocar » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 15:49:17

Living in Stockholm, Sweden, at the 59th parallel, obviously we could use some more warm weather.

Here is my personal list of positive effects, starting with the most important.
1. I can plant tomatoes earlier and thereby get more tomatoes worth eater (the stuff in the stores is totally tasteless)
2. Longer season of bicycling (bicycling beats skating and skiing in my opinion)

3. Shorter season of endless preparation for going out: longjohns, double socks, heavy boots, mittens, sweather, scarf, hat, heavy coat. Especially tiresome if there are children to go out with me.

4. Longer season of outdoor swimming
--------------------
Too bad that global warming will not make the sun rise earlier in the day and higher in sky in November through January.
nocar
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 17:02:05

Every time another "polar vortex" blasts the lower 48, its sunny and warm up here in Alaska. Our weather has been beautiful this winter. We're about 20 degrees above normal with even warmer temps predicted over the rest of the week. The snowpack may even start melting by friday. :)

I guess thats how global warming is working.....Alaska and other places at high latitudes are warming rapidly, while the mid latitudes and getting a bit more stormy weather.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 19:11:21

hi p

is that 20 degrees f?
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 21:02:05

I think any positive side concerning global warming will have to involve a benefit that affects the global population.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 28 Sep 2014, 14:22:12

Plantagenet wrote:Every time another "polar vortex" blasts the lower 48, its sunny and warm up here in Alaska. Our weather has been beautiful this winter. We're about 20 degrees above normal with even warmer temps predicted over the rest of the week. The snowpack may even start melting by friday. :)

I guess thats how global warming is working.....Alaska and other places at high latitudes are warming rapidly, while the mid latitudes and getting a bit more stormy weather.

What kind of winter forecast do you have for 14-15 in Alaska Plantagenet? Here in the midwest/great lakes they are saying another winter full of polar vortex cold snowy blasts.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:36:36

Tanada wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Every time another "polar vortex" blasts the lower 48, its sunny and warm up here in Alaska. Our weather has been beautiful this winter. We're about 20 degrees above normal with even warmer temps predicted over the rest of the week. The snowpack may even start melting by friday. :)

What kind of winter forecast do you have for 14-15 in Alaska Plantagenet? Here in the midwest/great lakes they are saying another winter full of polar vortex cold snowy blasts.

What we've had the last many years is shorter and shorter outdoor ice-skating seasons. We used to be able to skate from late November to March sometime, now we're lucky if we have 6 weeks or so. Last year the rinks barely got started and there was a melt all through January. Might be good that our winters are milder, but not so good for skating enthusiasts and aspiring hockey players. Imagine the crowds at the indoor rinks.

That aside, positive effects I can think of are longer growing seasons, greater varieties of plants that will grow here, more species of birds, etc. to enjoy (downside being more species of bugs that may not be so pleasant, like ticks and spiders), more time to enjoy the yard. I hike no matter what the weather, so warming is not particularly a positive - I like it cooler rather than hot. We had a great yield from our garden this year because of the warmer, sunnier season, but that's only because we have water that comes out of a hose (we had hardly any rain). So, really a toss-up.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:59:08

Around Alone, Northern Hemisphere Version.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate