Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

[Whipple] The Peak Oil Crisis: Parsing 2014

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

[Whipple] The Peak Oil Crisis: Parsing 2014

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 May 2014, 08:42:05

I don't usually quote whole articles, this is an exception. Tom Whipple give a good overview of where we are today without a bunch of hype.

The Peak Oil Crisis: Parsing 2014
MAY 14, 2014
By Tom Whipple

Some 15 years ago when the current concept of peak oil was posited, it was all going to be simple. Somewhere in the early part of the 21st century oil production was going to reach a peak and start to decline. Shortages would develop and prices would spiral upwards. But we should know by now nothing is simple. Peak conventional oil actually arrived on time circa 2005 and has remained on a rough production plateau ever since. Oil prices went flying up from the $20 a barrel we saw 15 years ago to $140 before demand destruction set in, leading to crude prices settling around $100 a barrel.

High priced oil sent much of the global economy into the tank where it still struggles to eke out small gains amidst incessant hopes for a rebound. Demand for the new high priced oil products fell in the advanced countries – partially from gains in efficiency and partly because large segments of the population could no longer afford to use them in the accustomed manner.

The five-fold increase in oil prices produced other reactions. The international oil companies were soon rolling in money which led to a capital spending spree to find and extract more oil. Much of massive increase in capital expenditures, however, went to fund costly deep sea drilling as most of the remaining dry land oil fields are now firmly in the hands of the national oil companies. Sadly, the big jump in drilling expenditures in the last eight years found just enough oil to keep global production steady, but did not increase global supplies of conventional oil.
The most visible “benefit” of high oil prices was that it permitted oil companies to go after the expensive-to-exploit tight (shale) oil/gas deposits and the fracked oil “revolution” was born. U.S. production of fracked oil and natural gas soared by nearly 3 million b/d; which as it turned out was enough, when combined with the drop in demand from the US and the other OECD countries, to meet the increase in global demand for oil which has averaged roughly 1.25 million b/d each year recently.

So, for the time being, we have a balance. The OECD’s demand has been trending down: the surplus has been taken up by increases in Asian demand; lower production in several OPEC countries due to political disturbances continues; and global depletion of existing oil fields continues to drop by some 3-4 million b/d each year. The markets are balanced out by a large increase in fracked oil and an increase in unconventional hydrocarbons such as natural gas liquids and lease condensates. For several years now, this balance has worked fairly well as world oil prices have remained around $100 per barrel, but now we come to 2014.

The very cold weather not only consumed an inordinate amount of our natural gas reserves, but also slowed the drilling of new oil and gas wells in the northern states. North Dakota’s production in March was the same as in November so there was no growth in Bakken shale oil production during the four winter months. It is clear to everyone but the most optimistic that the rapid increases in US shale oil production will come to an end within the next few years and it seems likely that production increases in 2014 will be less spectacular than in recent years. Some independent analysts believe that the peak in U.S. shale oil production could come within the next 24 months. This year’s production should give some good insight into just when peak U.S. shale oil may come.

Last winter several of the major international oil companies announced that they could no longer afford the accelerated pace of capital expenditures that resulted in some $3.5 trillion being spent to explore and drill for conventional oil in the last ten years. It is this massive expenditure that has kept conventional oil production steady, but now is coming to an end. Within the next few years, we are likely to see drops in conventional production as the pace for exploring and developing new oil fields contracts.

On top of the geologic problems, the political situation in several oil producing countries seem likely to get worse before the year is out. We have already lost substantial oil production from Syria, Egypt, Yemen, South Sudan, and Iran. Iraq, where production is still growing, is sinking into anarchy. Unless a more stable political situation emerges in Baghdad soon, the fighting is almost certain to spread into the country’s oil producing provinces before much longer. Only the Iranian nuclear negotiation, the prospects for which fluctuate daily, seems to offer any hope for increased oil production from the Middle East. Even this is still a great unknown. An agreement could result in increased Iranian oil exports, while failure of the talks will likely lead to increased tensions and more sanctions, especially if Tehran resumes a quest for nuclear weapons.

There are a lot of factors currently in play that could have a major impact on oil markets. The rate of global depletion from existing oil fields is increasing as production shifts to more fast-depleting deepwater and shale oil wells. The weather forecasters say El Niño is returning this summer which means higher global temperatures and more oil and gas consumption for cooling. The Ukrainian situation is far from settled and has the potential to disrupt global oil and gas flows. One such disruption would be an increasing share of Russian oil and gas production going to China at the expense of the EU. China is engaged in mini oil wars with Japan and Vietnam over offshore drilling rights. Governments are slowly becoming more concerned about air pollution/climate change and are starting to take concrete steps to slow fossil fuel burning.
It is too early to call 2014 a pivotal year, but by December we may have a much better appreciation on what the future has in store.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: [Whipple] The Peak Oil Crisis: Parsing 2014

Unread postby Paulo1 » Thu 15 May 2014, 08:55:44

Yeah Pops, this was an excellent summation. Whipple always has a sane and plausible presentation.

My question is an add-on to something said yesterday, by a few others. Whipple is correct, we all know it. Do the MSM folks like Cramer, Fareed Zaharia, and others actually know and understand what is going on? Or, are they obtuse? Are they muzzled? But my real question is what will the acceptance of PO by MSM look like? Do you think it will be gradual, or do you think someone behind the camera have an epiphany one day and spill the beans?

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 May 2014, 09:48:38

I think to a large degree the media follows public opinion rather than making it. Why is Piketty or #BringBckOurGirls or whatever trending topic 'o the day trending today when it wasn't yesterday?

I think there are two kinds of people, the kind who think about the current trend and the kind that fit the current trend to how they think. So you have folks like us that look thru oil-colored glasses at everything and everyone else who don't consider energy at all and are looking at the world from their particular vantage; pop culture (not me, "Pop", lol) consumption, their particular oppressed minority (we all are part of one, LOL again) or just their day-to-day.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 15 May 2014, 12:06:42

The Peak Oil Crisis: Parsing 2014
MAY 14, 2014
By Tom Whipple

... Peak conventional oil actually arrived on time circa 2005 and has remained on a rough production plateau ever since....
Last winter several of the major international oil companies announced that they could no longer afford the accelerated pace of capital expenditures that resulted in some $3.5 trillion being spent to explore and drill for conventional oil in the last ten years.....Within the next few years, we are likely to see drops in conventional production as the pace for exploring and developing new oil fields contracts.

Yup. Conventional oil has been on a plateau for about 10 years and will start dropping soon.

This is the peak. Right now. :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Thu 15 May 2014, 13:53:08

Great summation. I actually linked it to FB, despite how useless that approach is.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby BobInget » Thu 15 May 2014, 15:19:46

I await Tom Whipple's straight shooting analysis, rare in the oil bidness. Perhaps because he is flogging no agenda, Whipple is allowed to make great use of his expertise. Thanks!
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 15 May 2014, 15:47:01

Plant - Since very few consumers actually consume oil directly I thought one way to get around the conventional crude vs the light condensate/biofuels/etc. mix would be to look at the global production rates of refined products. In the end that's what counts for the most part. The US economy won't care if our motor fuel is coming from sweet crude, dilbit, corn husks or pig sh*t. LOL. So started digging for those stats. Unfortunately from the global perspective I'm having trouble finding any composite data base. Lots of stats for the US, a bit less for a few other countries and nothing on total global numbers.

Has anyone else stumbled on to a reliable source of such data?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 May 2014, 16:30:30

JODI...
http://www.jodidata.org/database/first-time-users.aspx

... has a breakdown by product but to be honest I've never been able to make it work.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Thu 15 May 2014, 16:32:30

Would China even permit that kind of data to get released?
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Thu 15 May 2014, 16:34:28

They're on the JODI participating countries list. I'll be derned.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 May 2014, 16:41:38

Here is one I'd never seen before, from the blue hats
http://data.un.org/Explorer.aspx?d=EDATA
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Synapsid » Thu 15 May 2014, 16:57:37

ChilPhil,

If memory serves, countries report to JODI on a voluntary basis so China would be able to tailor its contributions. That way they can be considered part of an international reporting body without giving up control of information.

Ron P can correct me.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 15 May 2014, 17:49:07

Thanks Pops. I'll give it a try. Doesn't look like a quick in and out though.

Chil - Not wanting to sound to paranoid but I'm always going to be a bit suspicious of any gov't sourced data...including ours. But maybe we can at least some sense of trend lines.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Thu 15 May 2014, 21:38:35

You have to jump through a few hoops to get the software up and running, but it appears to run smoothly afterwords. Holy smokes, this is a data goldmine. 247.7 million bbls of motor gasoline including jetfuel refined output in the US for the month of Feb 2014 sound right? China shows about 70 million bbls of motor gasoline that same month. From '02 to Feb '14, the US and China's growth in refinery output of gasoline has been roughly equal in terms of bbls at around +50 million. Growth as a percentage, of course, China has the upper hand.

This is pretty cool, Pops, thanks. :P
Last edited by ChilPhil1986 on Thu 15 May 2014, 22:24:58, edited 1 time in total.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Thu 15 May 2014, 21:44:21

The table also shows China's data as being 'unassessed'. I'm assuming that means they probably report the numbers, but don't permit third parties to walk in and verify.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby charmcitysking » Fri 16 May 2014, 05:41:03

Pops wrote:So you have folks like us that look thru oil-colored glasses.

Ain't that the truth. It's been my curse since finding this website - I literally look at everything in terms of it's energy cost. Rockman's POD runs through my head about fifty times a day.
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby sparky » Fri 16 May 2014, 19:06:23

Thanks Pops that's a pretty good summary .
The part about political instability is true but I feel a bit overdone
the bit which got me jumping was the link between the sharp rise in prices
and the oil companies splurging money in exploration
that was not operating profits that was a one off bonanza

for information , when the price rise all the oil in storage or transport increase in value
WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING , it's pure gravy
inversely when the price are soft , oil companies loose money and cannot help it
there is a bit of arbitrage trading but it protect only against the sharp shocks , not against the long trends
think about a car shock absorber ,if the road go downhill there is nothing they can do

the bonanza was huge and the spending commensurate , with rather modest return
now we are on level price , and the oil companies cannot afford to maintain this kind of spending
so there will be less new discoveries ,
back to the old cycle
a steady price increase doesn't do any good , it's eaten up by administration , shareholders and taxes
for exploration to be galvanized the jump in price must be an important step change

In fact it probably need to be larger and larger for decreasing resources

the economy tank out , demand destruction , less new oil ........you saw the movie already
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 17 May 2014, 06:27:56

One thing to keep in mind about the amount of capital expenditure by the super majors is that it is not all exploration. Can't remember where I saw it, but actual exploration in the example I read was less than 10% of capex. Rocdoc reads more financials than I do so maybe he can weigh in on that.

There are lots of things to spend money on, replacing oil tankers that run aground, etc, not just looking for oil. I'd be interested to see someone dig those numbers up.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby sparky » Mon 19 May 2014, 02:08:56

@ pops , yes that was my whole point above , for oil non governmental companies
there is not enough current spending to splurge Billions on blue sky giant fields
a bit of "new "discovery in old oil provinces , a few smallish discoveries ...etc
to put up the monstrous amounts needed for going out in grand horizons ,
a sharp reevaluation of their worth caused by a sharp price rise of crude is needed
suddenly the financial institutions and their own treasuries have some real money to play with

I.E. a new step increase in discoveries NEED oil shocks
only a seismic price rise give them enough cash in hand to go spending big
when the price is steady or , God forbid , fall
then it's retrenchment all along , the bean-counters point out that the business is not that attractive
plenty of risks for some not so bright returns
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JV153 » Sat 21 Jun 2014, 09:20:58

IEA - International Energy Agency
http://omrpublic.iea.org/balances.asp
JV153

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion