Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The One Percent

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Moderator: Pops

The One Percent

Unread postby timmac » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 00:40:42

timmac
permanently banned

Re: The One Percent, Super Rich in America

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 02:21:16

Good series, tm. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby americandream » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 02:55:04

timmac wrote:Good videos to watch about the super rich in America, especially part 4.
1 http://youtu.be/MCNKn7JirBU .,..
8 http://youtu.be/eVeupSj6Nl4

They own all your political parties and influence your conservative views.
americandream
permanently banned

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 03:32:32

I'm currently viewing #2. This young man had significant resource at his disposal (big surprise? ... not).

Some of the significant interviewees appear to be completely "baked". I find this disturbing.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 03:45:16

In episode three he transitions to an arms dealing case study that demonstrates how those in power can fail. This, to my mind, highlights the important issue. How can we trust those that are handing the reins of control? How do we make sure that those that are in control are making effective decisions for the collective?
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 03:50:05

Episode four: Sugar production corruption! Yeah this production is either professionally produced, or this young man is a genius.

Again this highlights the true issue. Is this young man an enlightened genius or is he a young man that is playing with the nearly unlimited resource that he accidentally finds at his disposal??

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:00:17

Episode five we transition into noblesse oblige! lol

yeah... this is just a kid with a camera... no support/editing team behind him (NOT!)

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:05:57

Then he finds the vacuous/vaporous rich granddaughter!

The totally baked "artist"...

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:18:33

Episode 7; The Estate Tax.

Should we allow powerful families to easily transition control of their fortunes the their heirs? Or should society see that their fortunes transition to more capable hands?

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:25:20

MD wrote:Episode five we transition into noblesse oblige! lol

yeah... this is just a kid with a camera... no support/editing team behind him (NOT!)

I rented this a long time ago on Netflix. It's not just a youtube vid, it was a professional documentary:

n this eye-opening documentary, filmmaker Jamie Johnson examines the gap that exists between America's poor and the 1 percent of the population that controls half the country's wealth. Johnson, himself an heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune, interviews Milton Friedman, Bill Gates Sr., Steve Forbes and other wealthy men, revealing the enormous social and political effect financial disparity has on America's current state.

I just watched tim's clip #4.. I saw this thing so long ago I forgot it all, I'll have to watch the rest of it. What's striking is that this came out in '06. This guy was a bit ahead of his time, the situation has gotten much worse since the financial crisis and never-ending recession.

Lots of great scenes, did you notice how some of the Johnson family sits on gilded gold chairs when they get their annual "how much richer you got last year" report? :lol: It's a whole other world these people live in. The financial manager tells the kid "you don't know what you're unleashing with what you're doing here, but I'm glad you have something to do with your life." :lol: Our old money, super super rich are like royalty. They're actually listless, bored. They have so much money, I wonder why they don't start some side business just for fun. Apparently, like royalty, getting your hands dirty "in business" is frowned upon. You're expected to play croquet.

I'll have to watch all this again.. from what I remember, the funny thing is that none of these old money trust fund baby rich have an answer to the income disparity problem. The director never gets an answer because he keeps asking the rich (the only people he knows). Well I know the answer.. f*ckin' tax them. :twisted: The Johnsons were rich in the 1960s even when tax rates were like 90%. Tax the rich, have pro middle and working class policies, problem solved and the Johnsons will still be loaded, just not as much. I doubt they'd notice the difference, they could still play croquet all day and sit in their gold gilded chairs.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:30:22, edited 6 times in total.
Sixstrings
Master
Master

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:26:07

Inevitably he highlights Katrina's response failures in episode eight. Government is a failure then, right? Of course it is...

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:32:06

Oh and of course the closing episode focuses on the sentimental/moral message.

wow...

what a crock of shit! (just my cynicism expressing itself) :razz:

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:34:50

Proud of his father? The father is baked, on what I expect are some of the best pharmaceuticals available to man, carefully controlled by very expensive doctors.

ok, with that little bit of expressed cynicism I am done.

:lol:

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:34:58

Proud of his father? The father is baked, on what I expect are some of the best pharmaceuticals available to man, carefully controlled by very expensive doctors.

ok, with that little bit of expressed cynicism I am done.

:lol:

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:35:56

watch it. it's worth your time.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:41:22

I can't claim to have had much interaction with the "super rich", but in my life I have had enough interaction with the moderately rich to reach a conclusion:

Very few people that have inherited wealth deserve to manage their estates. Exposure and prep school education are not enough. The innate abilities that are required to effectively steer capital ships are not genetically inherited, and training is a poor substitute.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 04:44:18

MD wrote:Oh and of course the closing episode focuses on the sentimental/moral message. wow... what a crock of s***! (just my cynicism expressing itself) :razz:

Well, yeah, the documentary has problems.. as viewers we wind up feeling insulted over a trust fund baby having an identity crisis over his wealth.

"We're so rich, we're so bored, what's it all mean.. all this money I have it's existential angst.. I think I shall go do a documentary on the poor people." :lol:

The funny thing about rich people is that they have things in common with the poor -- both extremes are eccentric, weird, and quite often lack purpose in life. One could be born into a billion dollars and yet have no purpose.. the most healthy society is one with not too many poor people and not too many rich, we need a strong and large working / middle class where everyone in the society can earn a living wage and live a decent life.
Sixstrings
Master
Master

Unread postby americandream » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 05:03:33

MD wrote:Very few people that have inherited wealth deserve to manage their estates. Exposure and prep school education are not enough. The innate abilities that are required to effectively steer capital ships are not genetically inherited, and training is a poor substitute.

Try telling them that and they'ld probably tell you to sod of, go get a job, stop being a commie and probably sic the local bobby on you.
americandream
permanently banned

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 05:32:57

americandream wrote:
MD wrote:I can't claim to have had much interaction with the "super rich", but in my life I have had enough interaction with the moderately rich to reach a conclusion:

Very few people that have inherited wealth deserve to manage their estates. Exposure and prep school education are not enough. The innate abilities that are required to effectively steer capital ships are not genetically inherited, and training is a poor substitute.

Try telling them that and they'ld probably tell you to sod of, go get a job, stop being a commie and probably sic the local bobby on you.

Probably so, assuming I became a real threat.

Nevertheless we are left with a real conundrum, dichotomy, catch-22... what are we to do? Shooting for egalitarian equality has proven to be a fools errand. Do we shoot for the borg collective instead? Shall the computers use genetic analysis to decide who shall lead? That matrix-like reality looks equally frightening. Humanity is such a sorry lot.

bah...I'm rambling. It's time for my morning bike ride.

cya

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby americandream » Fri 02 Sep 2011, 06:46:46

MD wrote:Probably so, assuming I became a real threat.
Nevertheless we are left with a real conundrum, dichotomy, catch-22... what are we to do? Shooting for egalitarian equality has proven to be a fools errand. Do we shoot for the borg collective instead? Shall the computers use genetic analysis to decide who shall lead? That matrix-like reality looks equally frightening. Humanity is such a sorry lot.
bah...I'm rambling. It's time for my morning bike ride. cya

Who is the "we". You can probably count on your fingers the number in any locality prepared to take on the rich and powerful.
americandream
permanently banned

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion