Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Oil Market Is Broken

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

The Oil Market Is Broken

Unread postby Rune » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 18:46:15

Oil's Endless Bid: Taming the Unreliable Price of Oil to Secure Our Economy by Dan Dicker

Introduction

The Oil Market Is Broken

This book is for anyone who has wondered why it costs $30 to fill a tank with gas one year and $75 the next. Why have oil and gas increased in price six-fold from 2003 to 2008, only to plummet and rise again? Why are we stripping our national wealth and handing it over to foreign oil producers, if the supply of cheap traditional energy is greater than it’s ever been? Where is the price of oil headed, and can we do anything to change its trajectory?

We’ve lost control of our oil markets—and it’s become the biggest financial story of the decade. I’ve been an oil trader working in the center of the action, in the pits of the New York Mercantile Exchange, where I’ve been a member since 1982. I’ve watched the oil markets change dramatically over the last 20 years, particularly since 2005, when the idea of oil as an asset class, the invention of new financial products, and the advent of electronic access took a sleepy, club-like market into the national spotlight.

I was finally convinced to write this book while watching my screens in May 2008: I watched in amazement as the crude barrel spot price clicked to more than $130 a barrel. One hundred and thirty dollars? That’s just nuts! That’s when I realized the oil market was broken, running like a train off its tracks, totally out of control. I had seen it getting worse and worse and moving into absurdity during 2005 to 2008, the last three years I spent as a floor trader at NYMEX—the New York Mercantile Exchange—the hub for oil pricing. Oil prices had stopped responding to normal economic rules of supply and demand, and by 2008, the market was busted. In its place, oil had become dominated by a new flow of money pulsing through it—speculative money from investors and traders who had no natural connection to oil at all.

The Oil Market Isn’t Like the Stock Market

This wasn’t the way it was supposed to work. Futures markets were never intended to operate this way, and that $130 price that day in May 2008 was proof of just how badly the market was buckling under the strain. Economists, oil analysts, company CEOs, pundits—just about everyone with an opinion—were weighing in with a different reason for this energy price spike. The explanations ran the gamut—from the falling value in the U.S. dollar, global economic growth, inflationary fears, or China’s soaring energy needs. All of these explanations amounted to a bad alibi.

Quite simply, a new set of players had come to dominate the oil markets and control them. Futures markets were designed to accommodate only a small group of hedgers—farmers providing raw products and manufacturers making finished products. Unlike the stock market or the bond market, the oil futures markets were never meant to accommodate investment, which it was now being forced to do.

Investment Banks Changed the Business of Trading Oil

When I entered the oil trading world in the early 1980s, the foremost actors trading oil were the Exxons and BPs and Chevrons and Shells. They used the futures markets as a tool only to guard the risks of their real physical assets. To them, trading oil was only a side note, helping their primary business of selling oil. Outside of these giants of the market, small trading groups and independent traders like me provided the grease to match their hedging needs and create fluidity. We were tiny players picking up the leftover crumbs—our participation was never enough to concern (let alone overwhelm) the capital and interest of the big oil players.

But since 2000 or so, and particularly the years leading up to that price spike in the summer of 2008, a new set of players had come to displace the oil companies and dominate the trading of energy. These were the financial players—mostly the large investment banks, but also new energy hedge funds and managed futures funds. Feeding the profit trough for these new financial traders at the banks and the funds was a flood of dumb money (as we used to call it on the trading floor): billions of dollars of investment interest in oil, entering the game overwhelmingly in the form of commodity index funds, but also appearing from individuals through online futures accounts and with stock-like ETFs. I began to refer to these overwhelming influences on price as “Oil’s Endless Bid.”

Commodities just aren’t stocks. Oil can’t be traded or invested in like a stock, not without these wild and unwanted consequences. Oil’s endless bid created a new financial market, overwhelming the old physical oil market. Oil’s endless bid was investors rushing in to add oil to their traditional portfolios of stocks and bonds. Moreover, nobody was trying to stop it. On the contrary, trading and investing in oil continued to be universally encouraged. Investors and professionals alike were told by the futures industry, the wider financial industry, the media, and our government that our markets were fine and would take care of themselves.
Meanwhile, oil’s endless bid drove prices higher throughout that summer in 2008 to an unfathomable $147 a barrel, with little fundamental evidence to support its rise.

When the bubble popped in July 2008 and the money fled from oil investment, everything was made crystal clear if there was even a lingering doubt: the oil market, for a brief moment relieved of much of the purely financial interest that had buoyed it higher, reflected true fundamental pricing for the first time in years. And it was trading at $32 a barrel. That was closer to what oil was really worth. But it didn’t take long at all for money to find its courage again and resume its domination of the capital markets: equities surged, treasuries ceased paying a negative interest, bond spreads began to come back from Armageddon levels, and, yes, oil, the newest capital market, began its march back up, reaching $82 in October 2009. In other words, the endless bid was back. And it came back with a vengeance.

The $75 median price of oil in 2009 was arguably even less defensible than the $100-plus prices we saw in 2008. Supplies were filled to the brim, reaching levels not seen since 1990, while demand was at generational lows, befitting the worse global recession since the Great Depression. The last time I had seen fundamentals as weak as these, oil was trading for $22, not more than $70.

Why Should You Care about the Volatility of Oil Prices?

I knew that 2009’s price, indefensible as it was, was just a steppingstone. Oil’s wild moves were bound to get wilder, higher, and more uncontrollable in the not-too-distant future. The volatility of oil in 2009 and 2010 had been the equal of any year on record, following slavishly the wild swings in the stock market and the dollar. I knew that 2009’s price was a springboard, and a powerful one, toward $150, $200, perhaps even $250 per barrel, as soon as even the slightest hint of recovery was felt and an even greater hunger to own oil returned.

Figure I.1 shows the history of oil prices—and it’s a scary picture of the future. Figure I.1 Daily Crude Oil Price (WTI) from January 1990 to August 2009 SOURCE: Energy Information Administration 

Looking at the price of oil since 1990, it is incredibly stable, as flat as a highway rolling across the center of Texas, until around 2003. Then all hell breaks loose—with the price increasing sixfold in five years, then losing almost 80% of its value in less than six months, only to immediately triple again. Can the American economy, which is increasingly dependent on oil, ever be expected to robustly grow, with a crazy swinging price like that? “Why should I care about the swinging prices of oil?”

I hear many people say. “America is a capitalist society; we believe in the free markets working; and we are always better off letting them take care of themselves.” Indeed, the oil market in 2008 and 2009 showed a great similarity to other speculative bubbles where no one questioned the market’s wild action, like the tech stock bubble in the Nasdaq of the late 1990s. The difference is that people choose to invest in stocks, therefore, they bear responsibility for their own risks and possible losses. But whether it is the heat in our homes or the fuel for our cars, even the foods we eat and the clothes we wear—just about everything in our lives is tied to the costs of energy.

We are all invested in oil, whether we like it or not. Business is hardly exempt. More than 50% of the companies on the New York Stock Exchange rely on energy as their single largest input cost, and that doesn’t even include the energy companies themselves (some of which were being put out of business by the high price of oil!) Is there any single thing in the world with as much global impact as the price of the crude barrel? The continuing high cost of oil causes everyone to suffer. Downstream costs of energy are passed on to the consumer, from airlines to railroads, from refrigeration to energy-dependent industrial products as diverse as aluminum, plastics, and pharmaceuticals. But the consumer is balking, under pressure from an imploding housing market and increasing unemployment. Economic growth is in reverse for the first time in a decade and a half.

The high costs of oil helped force the global economy off a cliff in 2008 and ensures that the current recession will be more long-lasting and recovery from it slower. Even for me, a career oil trader, little about the way oil trades now makes sense. Oil prices now incredibly chase the equity markets in lockstep: if the stock market rallies, oil now follows. For most of my career, the stock market and oil moved in opposite directions. That just made common sense that anyone could understand: a high price for energy is bad for most business. More than a market or a regulatory issue, oil’s high price has become a serious U.S. national security issue. With oil prices spiking, huge chunks of money, now more than $200 billion a year, is flowing from the pockets of Americans into the pockets of the OPEC cartel. That’s happening now four times faster than even two short years ago.

Talk about a war on terrorism! The modern oil pricing system now works to fill the coffers and sovereign wealth funds of the nations most likely to fund our worst and most diabolical enemies. We have caused this; there is no one else to blame. We have inspired this disaster with lax regulation, a blind belief in free markets, and unfettered greed. The oil market has followed a similar pattern to other modern asset markets, becoming enmeshed in more and more complex derivative products that benefit mostly the people that sell them. We encourage and reward best the people who create and squeeze profits out of these new product markets, and we invite—no, warn—every investor to participate as well, lest they miss the latest and greatest money-making opportunity. The result of this avalanche of activity is clear, causing prices to boom, only to bust violently before beginning the cycle over again.

Is Anyone Out There?

But in Washington, Congress is slow to see the danger, confused as to the causes, and incompetent at understanding possible solutions. Hearings called to figure out what was going on were dominated by industry spokesmen, derivative salesmen, and bank loyalists, all touting the advantages of increased liquidity and financial innovation. Congressmen used those platforms to pander to their constituencies and scream about rising prices with no apparent desire to understand why it was happening or how to fix it. The financial media lost an opportunity to seriously question the system and inform the public on causes and possible solutions.

When the banking crisis of mid-2008 hit its fever pitch with the failure of Lehman Brothers and the subsequent rapid deleveraging of all capital markets, it also violently burst the oil bubble and removed 80% of its traded value in less than seven months. I felt vindicated. Nothing proved a speculative bubble more convincingly than the rapid price collapse we saw then. But I knew that the fall of oil was only a side effect of a larger market collapse and did nothing to answer the question of how bad things were and how bad they were sure to get in the future. The price collapse had taken the heat off of investigating how the oil markets really operate.

In the midst of a greater economic crisis, oil’s price drop ended the motivation to understand speculation as the cause of commodity inflation. This, I knew, was an awful, terrible mistake. The bottom line was that nothing, absolutely nothing, had changed or was likely to change in the way that oil was being priced, making it a sure thing that the boom/bust cycle would replay itself soon. How had it changed? How did my sleepy, quiet, and insular market become this over-active whirlwind, in need of thousands of written articles and 20 CNBC hits a day? Three enormous changes rocked the oil markets forever, and Part I of this book describes these in detail.

Problem #1: The Assetization of Oil

First and probably most important, new institutional and individual investor interest in commodities, and particularly the price of crude, became the hottest game in town, and the world is rushing to play. Using commodity index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), through dedicated energy hedge funds as well as individual futures accounts, the price of oil is now as easily investable as any stock or bond. This is why the bid has become endless: although stocks and bonds have been around for centuries, oil has only been available as an investment for a few years. As an asset class, oil has a lot of catching up to do, and a lot of new money yet to assimilate. Chapters 2 and 3 describe the assetization of oil in detail.

Problem #2: Financial Finagling

Second, as I’ll discuss in Chapter 4, there had been a rush for fresh financial innovation. Following patterns from similar derivative markets, the investment banks and energy marketers created and sold a whole new category of specialized and customized products to cater to every kind of energy client they could imagine, products that would help mitigate risks from differing grades of crude, of transporting and refining crude, and from the output products from crude and their final sale. This created dozens of new markets, most of them over the counter and designed to be closed to most investors and accessible only to in-house traders of proprietary accounts. Commodity exchanges rushed to offer clearing of these side markets and get in on the new action. While West Texas Intermediate was the only traded crude product in the world when I first started on the floor, by the time I left it, the exchange was offering clearing on more than 75 futures and derivative of derivatives on crude with even more numerous and complicated products offered in refined products and natural gas. While the opportunity for profiting from the sale and proprietary trading of this unnecessary diversity grew, so did the nominally traded market in oil, now 15 times greater than the amount of real physical oil.

Problem #3: Electronic Access to the Oil Markets

Finally, as I’ll discuss in Chapter 5, the change from the human trading floor where I spent my career to an electronic virtual world of price discovery destroyed many of the governors on price swings. While the world of on-floor trading that I experienced in the pits seems quaint now, it did provide as near to perfect a pipeline for orderly trade, forcing all the participants to transparently appear at one place to transact business. Universal access of internet-based electronic platforms to oil spurred massive increases in volume and open interest, but also created massive volatility and higher prices with it.

We Can Fix This

It’s not too late to stop the continuing havoc that the modern energy markets wreak on the price of oil. The price of oil has become too violent, too high, and too unreliable. I want to see that highway-across-Texas price restored that had allowed business to grow steadily without being derailed by spiking costs. I want to see the consumer relieved of an energy burden that is killing the wallet. And I want to see our country become self-sufficient and quit pouring money unnecessarily into Arab hands. To see this happen, some major changes would have to take place. The Federal regulating agencies in Washington charged with market oversight had advanced a number of possible ideas. Unfortunately, most of these measures have been watered down by lobbyists, and even those weakened ideas have little chance of passing through a partisan Congress anytime soon.

Moreover, the first thing that needs to happen to see any substantive change in the oil markets will have to be a conviction on everyone’s part—whether inside the industry or inside the beltway—that the mechanism is broken. That’s the hope of this book. Oil’s Endless Bid charts the changes that I saw and continue to see: Chapters 2 through 5 in Part I describe how the oil market was and how it worked and why it operated fairly and with respect to fundamentals; it also describes how and why the oil market changed and how it operates now.

Chapters 6 through 10 in Part II explain why the price of oil is unfair and without respect to economic laws. Finally, Chapter 11 offers some solutions to what can be done about the broken oil markets … Throughout this book, I give a taste of what it was like to sit at the nexus of oil price discovery for more than two decades—which was, without question, the most exciting, interesting, and intrepid job any person can be lucky enough to have, even for a day.

Follow me and by the end of this book you’ll know what’s really moving oil’s price and what you can do to prepare and take advantage of its wild swings. Toward the end, I hope my case is made strongly enough to suggest some rather progressive measures with which to deal with our financial energy crisis, by taking some of the profit opportunity away from the largest investment banks and hedge funds, removing a lot of the investor access to the direct price of the crude barrel, but also by restoring some of the smaller, independent traders and trading groups, who have been sidelined by recent innovations, back in their roles as legitimate market makers and liquidity providers. I think we can do it. And I think we have to do it. Without serious reform, I believe our economy and we as individuals are destined to be routinely crippled, manacled to an oil price that whips around without warning like a roller coaster and cuts through our economy like a chain saw. It’s been a long, nearly 20-year process to see our oil markets destroyed and the price of energy become wholly unreliable.

Some of the changes I track in this book are simple to understand and obvious, while others require at least a cursory understanding of commodities and how the oil markets work. But stick with me, and I promise as clear a description as I can muster—from the simplest hedge an oil consumer might use to the most complicated derivative offered from a broker’s over-the-counter platform—and from the quickest scalp trade of a local floor trader looking to make $100 for rent money, to the multi-million-dollar bets that huge energy traders from Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley undertake. Although the mechanisms require some work to understand, the motives don’t: it is, of course, all about money, and not about providing the most reliable and honest price for oil and oil products to business and individual consumers.

Before we can even dig into oil’s endless bid, getting a flavor of how oil was traded in the good old days gives some perspective to how differently oil prices are arrived at today. Chapter 1 gives a little insight, from my own experience. However, if you know nothing about the futures market or want a practical refresher course, Appendix A offers a brief tutorial that I recommend everyone read before getting started.

This is the Introduction to Oil's Endless Bid by Dan Dicker.

I wanted to do some reading in economics that included a lot about what we have seen happen in oil over the pat decade. It looks like I will have to read more than a few books though.

And, for some reason, those books you buy about oil seem to be more expensive than other areas of interest.

I usually don't read books that back up my own previously-formed opinion about a subject because that would be a waste of money. And since I have read a whole bunch of peak oil books already, this one looked good. There are two or three others I saw that I wanted also. Not all of them have the same ideas. It's a big subject after all.
It takes courage to watch a film so well-done as September 11 - The New Pearl Harbor. You will never be the same. It is a new release. Five hours. Watch it on YouTube for free.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The Oil Market Is Broken

Unread postby Loki » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 21:30:00

pstarr wrote:Rune, its the speculators. We all knew that.

Yep. Stupid speculators. If not for them, we'd all be enjoying $1/gal gas. Dang them to heck. We should tax them or something....

From the Amazon link:
Describes how the United States is unnecessarily handing its wealth over to foreign oil producers during a time when the potential supply of oil is greater than ever

:lol:

Oh, and Rune, the guy's not an economist, he's an oil trader, or was. Economists are, as a rule, utterly clueless when it comes to resource limits, but they're practically ecologists compared to the financial guys.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Rune » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 21:37:50

It's a little more than just that. I'm reading the book now.

But let me remind you once again - go to Amazon and search for "2008 financial crisis" and count the number of books on the subject. I found 59 and there are probably more than that. NONE of them has blamed peak oil or oil scarcity for the crisis. No, it was all about financial matters

I actually expected to find a solid book with that thesis which might illuminate some of the economics of the past decade. But there were none.

My preconceived notions about the price of oil were that exploration had stagnated in the 90's and Chindia's appetite for the stuff had risen so dramatically that supply/demand dictates determined a new, much higher price.

But now I think that is wrong. And this book is written by a long-time oil trader who says he can explain why the price of oil is sitting at around $100. He seems awfully damn certain why it is there.

First, I want to read the book to understand his point of view. Then, there are a couple of other books on oil that I noticed. And I put them on my wish list.

One of them is understanding Oil Prices. However, for some damn reason, every book on oil is expensive as hell. I might just have to part with some coin if I really feel like I need to know this stuff (which I don't, but I am annoyingly curious, even to myself).

Now, there were plenty of books on peak oil that came out in the years 1999 - 2010. And I read a bunch of them. It is not a forbidden subject. So, given that it has been 5 years since the 2008 debacle, economists and others have had plenty of time to research the reasons for the crisis and write books. And they have. But none of them has made much mention about oil being a primary contributor.

Oil's high price HAS been blamed for the sluggish recovery. And the present author, Dan Dicker, believes so too. But the high price is blamed on things like assetization, not scarcity.

So, please, don't beat me up just because I like to read and try to understand the world. Sometimes you just have to take the time to read and sort things out. That might take a few books.

But I'm gathering that oil's present price is not reflective of supply/demand - or not entirely. We will see...
It takes courage to watch a film so well-done as September 11 - The New Pearl Harbor. You will never be the same. It is a new release. Five hours. Watch it on YouTube for free.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rune » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 22:10:43

I don't have a firm opinion shaped up yet. So I am not going to spend a lot of time on this... yet.

But here is the thing: I am sure we can both agree that Wall Street has gotten very good at inventing and marketing derivatives and investment vehicle - like managed future, ETFs, etc. I am sure we can agree that derivatives and those kinds of arcane things had something to do with 2008.

But oil is not a stock or a bond. You cannot invest in oil. You can only bet on its price direction. If you turn over your savings to a managed futures fund, you are betting that the skill of the trader(s) or system behind the fund are going to make money.

Oil and other commodities over the past decade have been touted as investment opportunities however. And this has led to huge amounts of dumb money flowing into these commodities. Also, policy, as shaped by several changes in the laws during the Clinton and Bush terms, made it easier for Wall Street to pull these shenanigans. Also electronic markets opened up vast new sources of capital...

I am not an expert on this stuff, but you get the drift. And, if these factors are more important to the price of oil than I have previously credited them, then that means that the price at $100 could be subject to a dramatic drop - where everyone gets screwed in their behinds. Is this a possibility I wonder to myself? ...

So this is what I am reading about, right now.

I have already read a whole boatload of peak oil stuff. Isn't that what you want - for people to read and understand the Hubbert Curve? Didn't I do good?
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 23:41:26

pstarr wrote:Here is one comment (out of a dozen fawning planted roses) that nails it:

The "Assetization of Oil" is asserted as the core cause of oil price instability yet is entirely irrelevant in its effect on oil prices in the longer term for one very simple reason, speculators do NOT take delivery! Every contract a speculator buys MUST be sold before the delivery date. I know this is an oversimplification but think about this- a billion dollars could trade in ten sacks of play sand until the delivery date arrives, but if the going price for a sack of sand at the playground that day is a buck and a half, then that is the price a profitable futures trader will have it come in at. If the traders inflated the price, the buyers would learn to pay spot without regard for any middleman's inflated interim price. No one is forcing the buyer to engage in the futures markets to insure a delivery price. The speculator does not set the final sale price, the speculator only wins if they can divine the final sales price better than others.
To which I must add: if "assetization" by financial market/speculators drives the prices of contracts, while there is an infinite amount of oil, then what prevents the prudent buyer from going to a non-speculative terminal to purchase non-speculative oil? This sh@t make sense.

From the OP post:
Supplies were filled to the brim, reaching levels not seen since 1990, while demand was at generational lows
I think the reason for this apparent contradiction is that speculators must have physical product available to cover their contracts. So whenever there is a speculative frenzy, "supplies" (in tank farms, etc.) increase. They are being held off the market in hope of making a fast buck.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Loki » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 23:56:21

Rune wrote:

It's a little more than just that. I'm reading the book now.

But let me remind you once again - go to Amazon and search for "2008 financial crisis" and count the number of books on the subject. I found 59 and there are probably more than that. NONE of them has blamed peak oil or oil scarcity for the crisis.

That's because oil wasn't the primary cause of the Great Recession, much less the '08 panic. But it may have been a catalyst, and it's certainly been a factor in the lackluster recovery.

I've read a fair bit of economic lit, most of it is political philosophy under the guise of science and history, almost all of it is utterly divorced from physical reality (i.e., natural resources, particularly the central role of energy). The primary data is far more useful.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 02:37:51

A sharply rising price of oil kill importing economies ,
that's a well known fact ever since the 1973 crisis,

@ Rune " You cannot invest in oil. You can only bet on its price direction"
Major oil companies invest a very great amount of money to keep the stuff flowing
sure they make a few zillions bucks but their costs are eyes watering .
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 08:04:15

Keith – “I think the reason for this apparent contradiction is that speculators must have physical product available to cover their contracts. So whenever there is a speculative frenzy, "supplies" (in tank farms, etc.) increase. They are being held off the market in hope of making a fast buck.”

The oil traders can correct if I’m wrong but there’s no requirement to have deliverability capability in the futures market. In fact, in the old days as I understand it, one had to purchase new contracts to cover old ones. Now even that isn’t required: a check is written to cover the loss or gain. Last time I saw the number there’s typically over 1 billion bo tied up in the futures contracts on a daily basis. All the oil in storage times 100 wouldn’t cover deliverability.

As pointed out, except for that very small percentage of future players that actually take delivery, there is virtually no oil involved in the future markets. It’s just a betting system no different than betting at the horse track: the vast majority betting on the outcome of a race don’t own the horse they’re betting on. The vast majority of folks betting on the future price of oil has never owned nor ever will own a single bbl of oil.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Rune » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 13:22:22

sparky wrote:.
A sharply rising price of oil kill importing economies ,
that's a well known fact ever since the 1973 crisis,

@ Rune " You cannot invest in oil. You can only bet on its price direction"
Major oil companies invest a very great amount of money to keep the stuff flowing
sure they make a few zillions bucks but their costs are eyes watering .

Well sure. And you can also invest in oil stocks and do well. But you cannot actually invest in oil itself. You can only bet on its price direction, a price which is subject, not only to supply/demand dictates, but also to geopolitical risks and all sorts of unpredictable market psychology factors.

Nevertheless, an avalanche of dumb money has flowed into oil and other commodities - at least, that is what I am reading about right now.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 13:28:49

Rune wrote:an avalanche of dumb money has flowed into oil and other commodities.

Wrong.

Money is flowing OUT of commodities. Prices for commodities are down and mines are closing.

Similarly, oil is DOWN. Money is flowing OUT of oil. The price of oil just went under $100 and the price of gasoline is now under $3/gallon in many places across the US.

NPR just reported that the US is seeing the lowest gasoline prices in three years.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Rune » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:07:29

Plantagenet wrote:
Rune wrote:an avalanche of dumb money has flowed into oil and other commodities.

Wrong.

Money is flowing OUT of commodities. Prices for commodities are down and mines are closing.

Similarly, oil is DOWN. Money is flowing OUT of oil. The price of oil just went under $100 and the price of gasoline is now under $3/gallon in many places across the US.

NPR just reported that the US is seeing the lowest gasoline prices in three years.

Perhaps you could recommend a solid economics book that explains the 2008 financial crisis and which incorporates oil peaking or oil scarcity or some sort of energy economics in its explanation of what has happened in the last 10 - 15 years in particular.

I don't want to read some Kunstler blog. I'm looking for solid economics by well-respected scholars.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rune » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:21:32

Life After Growth

This one seems to satify my requirements. But it's not available yet - at least not on Amazon.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:23:36

Rune wrote:Perhaps you could recommend a solid economics book that explains the 2008 financial crisis and which incorporates oil peaking or oil scarcity or some sort of energy economics in its explanation of what has happened in the last 10 - 15 years in particular.

I don't want to read some Kunstler blog. I'm looking for solid economics by well-respected scholars.
Well it's an article not a book, but if you are interested in reading about an analysis of the volatile oil prices of 2008 you might want to check out: The 2008 Oil Price “Bubble”

I'll highlight a few sections from it below:

Speculation is a third possible explanation for the jump in oil prices. The argument runs as follows: While fundamentals were responsible for the rise in the equilibrium oil price, speculation on the future price of oil led to both overshooting of spot prices in the first half of 2008 and undershooting in the second half of the year. Even though direct evidence is unavailable, to explain the oil price volatility in 2008 one cannot rule out speculative buying as a cause of the price surge in the first two quarters of the year and the unwinding of positions as a determinant in the subsequent collapse of prices starting in the third quarter.

Short-term deviations between valuations and spot prices would be temporary, and a bubble would be related to the duration and amplitude of the deviation. Over the long run, however, there should be a close relationship between spot oil prices and market valuations. The data support this hypothesis to a considerable extent.

The steady rise in oil prices during 2003–07, because it was accompanied by a similar increase in oil-company valuations, appears to be “permanent.” On the other hand, the steep hike in oil prices in the first half of 2008, which resulted in a large deviation between crude prices and oil-company equities, appears “temporary,” or a bubble. The long-term, or permanent, component of crude oil prices based on corporate valuations was at that time $80 to $90 a barrel, but spot prices were around $50 higher.

A longer-run danger for the world economy, independent of the speculation argument, is that oil capacity expansion has slowed in 2009, and both national and multinational oil companies are postponing plans to develop new fields and expand existing ones. Even though there is currently a serious push for greater fuel economy and development of alternative sources of energy, it is unlikely that these new technologies will make a significant dent in the demand for oil over the next few years.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:29:18

Keith Wrote:
“I think the reason for this apparent contradiction is that speculators must have physical product available to cover their contracts.

Rockman replied:
I think the reason for this apparent contradiction is that speculators must have physical product available to cover their contracts.

I am not presently an oil trader but I once was. In fact I was once a commodities broker. And Rockman is correct, there is no requirement for speculators to have the physical product available to cover their contracts. The number of contracts open or able to be opened at any one time has no connection whatsoever to the physical oil available. And of course only a tiny fraction of contracts are ever submitted for delivery. The vast majority are closed out before expiration. And, this is something most people do not know, but even the vast majority of contracts that are still open at expiration are still settled for cash instead of delivery.

I hear a lot of people saying that if you do not close your contract before expiration that you are then required to take or make delivery, depending on which side of the contract you hold. That is simply not so. A speculator who is unable to close his contract before expiration because he was ill, forgot, or died, or whatever, is not required to take or make delivery. He simply settles for cash.
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Rune » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:38:23

kublikhan wrote:Well it's an article not a book, but if you are interested in reading about an analysis of the volatile oil prices of 2008 you might want to check out: The 2008 Oil Price “Bubble”

I am not looking for an article. I am looking for an extensive economic historical analysis which puts the events of the last ten years or so in perspective. And, in particular, the rise of oil's price should be extensively investigated. The advent of electronic markets, commodity funds, hedge funds, derivatives, managed futures, assetization (if it really exists and is a factor) ought to be addressed. And, of course, the author should not be someone who is obviously biased in one direction or another.

Life After Growth

This one seems to satify my requirements. But it's not available yet - at least not on Amazon.

Why, years after the banking crisis, is the global economy still mired in recession and burdened by enormous debts? Why have the tried-and-tested economic policies of the past failed us this time?

In Life After Growth, leading City analyst Tim Morgan sets out a ground-breaking analysis of how the economy really works. Economists are mistaken, he argues, when they limit their interpretation of the economy to matters of money. Ultimately, the economy is an energy system, not a monetary one. From this, it follows that we need to think in terms of two economies, not one - a 'real' economy of work, energy, resources, goods and services, and a parallel, 'financial' economy of money and debt.

These two economies have parted company, allowing the financial economy to pile up promises that the real economy cannot meet. Starting with the discovery of agriculture, Tim Morgan traces the rise of the economy in terms of work, energy and resources. The driving factor, he explains, has been cheap and abundant energy. As energy has become increasingly costly to obtain, the potential for prosperity has diminished, to the point where growth in the real economy has ceased. An immediate problem is that our commitments - including debt, investments and welfare promises - cannot be honoured, which means that we can expect the financial system to be wracked by value destruction. At the same time, we need to adapt to a future in which prosperity can no longer be taken for granted.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rune » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 16:00:54

Life After Growth

I found the table of contents a sample PDF
of the book at Harriman House.

It sounds like the same stuff I was reading ten years ago - another peak oil book.
When it is available, I'll buy it and read it. Hopefully, there is more to it than just another re-iteration of EROEI.

Foreword by Terry Smith

Part I: The End of an Era
1. An economy that has run out of road
2. How the economy really works

Part II: The Real Economy
3. The energy economy
4. The great breakthroughs
5. Growth and risk
6. The real threat

Part III: The Financial Economy
7. The servant, not the master
8. The madness of crowds
9. The madness of globalisation
10. The madness of statistics

Part IV: Life after Growth
11. Welcome to life after growth
12. Value reduction - the real economy
13. Value destruction - the financial economy
14. An end or a beginning?

Afterword - "What does this mean to me?"

FOREWORD BY TERRY SMITH

I’M PLEASED TO HAVE BEEN asked to contribute the foreword to my colleague Dr Tim Morgan’s book Life After Growth. The fact that I have worked with Tim for much of the last 20 years across three different firms demonstrates that I hold him and his work in high regard. When I first met Tim and asked him to join UBS Phillips & Drew where I was head of research, he was an oil analyst, and the first analyst of that sector that I and many investors had encountered who could demystify it from what he called the ‘Black Gold syndrome’. A lesson I learnt early on is that when Tim has something to say which is related to energy analysis, as this book is, it is wise to take notice.

In particular, his work is not one-dimensional, unlike that of many other socalled analysts and commentators. Just days before I wrote this foreword I was presenting at a breakfast briefing in London. In the session which followed my talk, a member of the audience whom I knew waxed lyrical about the boost which the British economy would receive from the exploitation of shale gas, a theme I have heard many times. I asked him if he thought the cost of extraction of shale gas had any bearing on its economic impact. In so doing, I was drawing on the concept of Energy Return on Energy Invested (‘EROEI’) which Tim has pioneered. To say that the concept went over his head would be an understatement. Too often people seem to take the view that an energy source is ‘good’ irrespective of its cost in terms of the energy required to generate it.

Tim Morgan makes no such mistake. This book brings together much of Tim’s work from recent years but ‘Part IV: Life After Growth’ is new material. In reading it I was particularly struck by ‘Chapter 13: Value Destruction – The Financial Economy’. It touches a chord. We seem to have conveniently forgotten the necessity for creative destruction in a market economy. The result is that we have ‘zombie’ consumers, companies, banks and even countries which are bust by any reasonable definition but are kept alive by the financial equivalent of life support. This approach to our problems can only end badly – it has been destruction tested in Japan over the past two decades with disastrous results.

As Tim himself points out, his work has often attracted hostility and rejection from commentators. Apart from the one-dimensional approach of many of the commentators who just wish to assume that, for example, any new energy source is good, Tim also faces the natural desire of many human beings to avoid bad news. All too often the response of commentators reminds me of the outburst by Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, portrayed by Jack Nicholson in the movie A Few Good Men. Whilst being cross-examined on the witness stand, Jessup is provoked by the lawyer’s (Tom Cruise) repeated questioning about whether he ordered a “code red” – an illegal disciplinary action that resulted in a marine’s death. To Cruise’s statement, “I want the truth”, he replies: “You can’t handle the truth”.

Most people find the world which Tim’s analysis points to utterly terrifying. Sadly, of course, their ostrich-like rejection of his work may condemn them to an even bleaker future because of the failure to recognise the problems and take appropriate action. Dr Tim Morgan will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that he tried to raise the level of the debate. If I had one wish it would be that commentators, and policy makers, take his work as seriously as it deserves to be taken. Terry Smith July 2013

THE CORNER THAT IS NEVER TURNED

IN 2008, AS THE GLOBAL BANKING system teetered on the brink of collapse, economic and business affairs dominated the media and the public debate in a way that was unprecedented, certainly since the crises of the 1970s and possibly since the grim days of the 1930s. Five years on, the sense of immediate crisis has faded, and the general public seems to accept that the global economy is making a recovery, albeit a painfully slow one, from the most severe downturn of the post-1945 era. Governments around the world have fostered this reassuring sense of gradual recovery.

The reality, however, is that very little has changed, and many of the changes that have happened have been for the worse. The global economy has hardly grown at all since the dark days of the banking crisis and, far from the Western countries starting to emulate the successes of the emerging nations, the reverse may be happening, with economic growth in China, for instance, slowing markedly. By far the most obvious problem is that the global economy is awash with debt. Reserve ratios (which measure the amount of shock-absorbing capital that banks can use to accommodate losses) remain painfully slender, and now governments themselves are so indebted that most could not repeat the banking rescues of 2008.

Debts published by governments around the world hide the vastly larger forward commitments represented by future welfare promises. For all the talk of ‘austerity’ in government, ordinary people are bearing the brunt of the longest recession in living memory. Taking Britain simply as an example, wages may have risen by 10% between 2007 and 2012, but the official measure of inflation increased by 17% over the same period, whilst the overall price of such essentials as food, power and fuel rose by 33%, leaving most people very much worse off. If we look beyond official assurances of ‘business as usual’, governments are at a loss to understand why their policies cannot restore satisfactory levels of growth.

In past downturns, it was accepted that the economy could be stimulated by a combination of fiscal deficits and low interest rates, both of which put money into people’s pockets and thus boost demand for goods and services. This time around, these tried-and-tested policies have been deployed on a truly heroic scale, but have failed to restore growth to the economy. In a situation not far short of desperation, governments have resorted instead to so-called ‘unconventional’ policy measures, most notably quantitative easing (QE) which, whatever its advocates claim, is tantamount to the printing of money. Even QE (which, incidentally, would have frightened earlier generations of economists, central bankers and finance ministers out of their wits) has not restored brisk growth to the economy.

If you are aware of the fundamental weaknesses of a global economy which, to put it simply, is stumbling on rather than striding forward, you might well wonder why the collective knowledge of our leaders and their professional advisors has not delivered a return to growth. Not so long ago, remember, it seemed to many that we had cracked the mysteries of economics, that the debate between free-marketeers and state interventionists was over, and that we could look forward to something
kin to perpetual expansion. The financial crisis then revealed that this so-called ‘great moderation’ was, in reality, nothing more than the biggest borrowing binge in history. As well as leaving the world mired in debts, this systemic shock has shown that, far from uncovering all of the secrets of economic management, we seem to know even less than we thought we did about how the economy really works.

IN SEARCH OF THE REAL ECONOMY

Throughout the period of borrowing excess and the aftermath of slump, stagnation and unaffordable debts, I have been developing and refining a radically different way of looking at the economy, and this book is the product of many years of such research. I have not done this alone, and I acknowledge my debt to the many people who have provided both encouragement for my efforts and contributions to my knowledge.

In particular, Terry Smith and other colleagues at Tullett Prebon have allowed me enormous latitude in pursuing the kind of ‘pure’ research that is seldom countenanced at commercial organisations. My most striking conclusion is that, contrary to accepted wisdom, the economy is not primarily a matter of money at all. Rather, our economic system is fundamentally a function of surplus energy. In pre-agricultural times, there was no energy surplus, and consequently no society and no economy. The development of farming created the first energy surplus, liberating a small minority of the population to undertake other tasks.

But it was the discovery, through the heat-engine, of the ability to tap the vast energy resources contained in fossil fuels that really ushered in an era of unprecedented growth and material prosperity. In parallel with these developments in the ‘real’ economy of energy, labour and resources, we developed a monetary system whose essential purpose was to ‘tokenise’ the real economy into a convenient form. The real nature of money is that it forms a claim on the products of the real economy.

Moreover, the monetary system soon developed a strong future or anticipatoryelement, which is typified by the way in which expectations for the future dominate activities such as lending, borrowing, investment and insurance. Fundamentally, debt is a claim on future money but, since money is itself a claim on the real economy, and hence on energy, debt really amounts to a claim on the energy economy of the future. Engaging in the creation of anticipatory claims requires that we assume some knowledge of what the economy of the future is going to be like.

Our collective forward assumption has long been ‘more of the same’, meaning that we create claims on a future economy that we think will be characterised by growth of roughly the same magnitude that we have long taken for granted in the past. My research has taken me far beyond the token or claim economy of money and debt and into the workings of the real economy of energy itself. The most important part of this real economy is the relationship between the energy that we produce and the energy that is consumed in the extraction process. Here, my conclusions are very disturbing, because they show that the energy surplus that powers our economy is now in severe and seemingly relentless decline.

Put very straightforwardly, more and more energy is being absorbed in the extraction of energy, leaving an ever-diminishing surplus for us to use. You can picture this very simply by imagining an economy that produced 100 barrels of oil a decade ago, but now produces 110 barrels. This might seem positive, until it is added that the energy-equivalent of 20 barrels was consumed in the extraction process ten years ago, but the equivalent of 50 barrels is used today. In other words, whilst total output has increased (from 100 to 110 barrels), the net amount of available energy has decreased sharply, from 80 barrels (100 minus 20) to 60 barrels (110 minus 50). Over-simplified though this is, it is a reasonable illustration of what has happened. What it means is that the real economy of energy surpluses is in sharp decline.

THE END OF CHEAP ENERGY AND THE DEATH OF WEALTH

Let me stress that this is an observation, not a prediction. Energy returns have been declining for a long time, and I believe that growth in the real economy ceased quite some years ago. Properly understood, the debt crisis which emerged in 2008 was tangible evidence of a process that had long been underway. This poses many problems, but two are of paramount importance. First, of course, we are going to have to adapt our society to exist on a basis of far less useable (surplus) energy than we have become accustomed to. Such adaption is not impossible, but it is going to stack up to the greatest challenge that we have faced in a very, very long time. Second, the financial ‘shadow’ economy of money and debt has continued to expand, opening up a huge gap between, on the one hand, the economic claims incorporated in the financial system and, on the other, the actual potential of the real economy.

This, fundamentally, is what the accumulation of gigantic debts really amounts to. What it means is that the financial and the real economies can be reconciled only if financial claims (meaning both debt and money) are destroyed on a truly enormous scale After a brief overview, this book explains how the real economy works before examining the functioning of the financial economy. It concludes with an investigation of the challenges posed both by the ending of growth and by the need to reconcile excessive monetary claims with an economy that simply isn’t going to grow in the way that our financial system routinely assumes. This may seem depressing stuff, and I was not surprised when, in response to earlier research publications, one highly-respected newspaper labelled me “Dr Gloom”1whilst another called me “Terrifying Tim”.2As you will discover, the situation is far from hopeless, and adaption is certainly possible. But this process is going to be hugely disruptive, and it is going to change our world out of all recognition.

As ever, forewarned is forearmed
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Book/Media Reviews