Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Offshore Drilling Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

THE Offshore Drilling Thread (merged)

Unread postby UncoveringTruths » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 13:00:13

WASHINGTON -- Jittery about political fallout from high gasoline prices, the Senate today endorsed an inventory of offshore oil and gas resources — a move that critics warned could be the first step toward easing the decades-old moratorium on new drilling off most of the U.S. coast.
Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) said the inventory would "let the American people know what they own...so we can make a good decision" on offshore drilling in the event of a crisis.
Senate Approves Tally of Offshore Oil and Gas Resources
UncoveringTruths
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RG73 » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 13:30:55

Isn't this data already known?
RG73
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Geology_Guy » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 13:55:17

There has been very little petroleum research done on the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Possibly more has been done on offshore CA.
Geology_Guy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby turmoil » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 14:23:04

maybe they will find a secret pathway to the saudi reserves :roll:
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nth » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 14:50:45

No, it is not already known.
I am waiting for 2008 when Australian firms contract with US DOD expires and everyone will probably have access to equipment to find oil and gas by simply flying over it.
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby oli » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 14:59:45

nth wrote:No, it is not already known.
I am waiting for 2008 when Australian firms contract with US DOD expires and everyone will probably have access to equipment to find oil and gas by simply flying over it.

Ah yes, the gravity-gradiometer.

I thought this had seen field-tests though (from what I remember of an old sciam.com article), only was deemed to not deliver the accuracy of less costly methods, for areas of interest.
oli
Peat
Peat

Unread postby nth » Tue 21 Jun 2005, 15:10:23

oli wrote:
nth wrote:No, it is not already known.

Ah yes, the gravity-gradiometer.

I thought this had seen field-tests though (from what I remember of an old sciam.com article), only was deemed to not deliver the accuracy of less costly methods, for areas of interest.

Cost is hard to quantify as after the contract expires, price should fall.
But certain areas are not easily accessible, those areas will be cheaper by plane. Otherwise, you need access to trucks or boats.

Accuracy is a real issue. The readings that come from these things can mean a number of things. Of course, I don't have any private data, but from what I read, unless there is an oil signature that the firm has found. It can only give you a chance of finding something. You definitely won't want to drill based on this data.
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Proposal to end offshore drilling ban advances

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 28 Jun 2006, 04:58:10

Proposal to end offshore drilling ban advances

Legislation that would end a quarter-century ban on drilling in most of the Outer Continental Shelf advanced in the House on Wednesday. The measure would allow oil and gas development in restricted offshore waters unless a state prohibited it.

But the bill's prospects in the Senate are poor as Florida's two senators — as well as others from coastal states — have threatened to filibuster any legislation that would end the drilling moratorium in most coastal waters outside the western Gulf of Mexico.

Waters within 50 miles of shore would still be protected by the House bill. But oil and gas drilling would be allowed in areas beyond that unless a state's legislature and governor act to preserve the ban.

msnbc
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Proposal to end offshore drilling ban advances

Unread postby mekrob » Wed 28 Jun 2006, 05:05:37

I'm wondering why the Florida senators would want to filibuster. If they're state chooses to have the ban, then they won't be affected at all. Do they really care about Georgia or California getting oil rigs?

I don't see this affecting too much anyway. Are there even any large fields in the region, or is it pretty much like the Gulf with just a bunch of smaller fields?

If this does pass and becomes law and CA and FL and the other states with large offshore reserves remove their own bans (or fail to enact them), then I'd love to see the price of drilling rigs then. Probably pass $500,000/day.
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Re: Proposal to end offshore drilling ban advances

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 28 Jun 2006, 09:04:23

Wait until all those wealthy beach condo owners wake up one morning with globs of oil all over their beach! Inevitable.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Breaking: House Votes to End Offshore Drilling Ban...

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Thu 29 Jun 2006, 19:41:54

OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Breaking: House Votes to End Offshore Drilling Ban...

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 29 Jun 2006, 20:56:40

Gotta love them tarballs. Mmmmm, mmmmm,mmmmmm, tarballs between my toes.

:P
Ludi

Unread postby mjdlight » Thu 29 Jun 2006, 21:40:14

The Cosmic Irony Department checks in and notes that today is the 50th Anniversary of the Interstate Highway System.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13616498/site/newsweek/
mjdlight
Peat
Peat

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Thu 29 Jun 2006, 22:14:48

mjdlight wrote:The Cosmic Irony Department checks in and notes that today is the 50th Anniversary of the Interstate Highway System.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13616498/site/newsweek/

Wonder what the 100th anniversary will look like...

8O
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sicophiliac » Thu 29 Jun 2006, 22:58:29

Two questions, was "peak oil" in the name ever sighted during any congressional debates leading up to this vote by any house members? Or was it more of the same with the dependance on foreign oil talk.

Also just how much oil are we looking at here in these currently restricted areas?
sicophiliac
Coal
Coal

Unread postby simontay78 » Thu 29 Jun 2006, 23:36:15

From MSNBC

Report: Oil’s role in world energy supply to fall

Updated: 11:47 a.m. ET June 20, 2006

"WASHINGTON - Oil’s share of world energy demand will decline over the next quarter century, the Energy Department said Tuesday, as high prices spur greater use of alternatives such as coal, natural gas and renewable fuels.

“High prices do matter,” said Guy Caruso, administrator of the Energy Information Administration, a division of the Energy Department that released its annual international energy outlook.

In December, the EIA predicted worldwide oil prices would average $57 a barrel in 2030, a 35 percent increase from the long-term forecast it had made just a year earlier."

>>>> $57 per barrel is a long gone history unless there is a sharp demand destruction (Sorry if it's a repost)
simontay78
Peat
Peat

Unread postby savethehumans » Fri 30 Jun 2006, 00:44:17

I love your avi, emersonbiggins! And coming from Austin (former GWB residence), you are uniquely qualified to use it! :lol:

The Senate may/may not pass this sucker. But once it DOES pass (and it will), it will be interesting (if tragic) to see how much damage the oil companies will do to the oceans before TSHTF and it all becomes a moot point.

BTW, oil companies--how are repairs of the Gulf of Mexico drilling systems coming along, almost a year since Katrina? And have you hired someone to a full-time job of watching The Weather Channel yet? :roll:
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Fri 30 Jun 2006, 00:49:39

savethehumans wrote:I love your avi, emersonbiggins! And coming from Austin (former GWB residence), you are uniquely qualified to use it! :lol:

Thanks! Every time I see my avi, I laugh. I think I'm posting more often because of it (probably a bad thing...)
:lol:
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mekrob » Fri 30 Jun 2006, 08:26:25

Also just how much oil are we looking at here in these currently restricted areas?

That's a very good question.

from CNN.com
The total amount of recoverable oil and gas estimated in the areas currently closed is about 34 billion barrels of oil equivalent, according to the U.S. Interior Department. The U.S. uses about 11 billion barrels of oil equivalent in natural gas and oil each year, according to the Energy Information Administration.

But I've heard other estimates on Fox that the reserves are in the upper 80's, which is probably just the OOIP, and thus just spin. Of course they pit that against the 4 billion we import every year.
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheTurtle » Fri 30 Jun 2006, 08:59:19

savethehumans wrote:The Senate may/may not pass this sucker. But once it DOES pass (and it will), it will be interesting (if tragic) to see how much damage the oil companies will do to the oceans before TSHTF and it all becomes a moot point.

I have long maintained that the ecological damage resulting from our society's attempt to keep the SUVs running as long as possible will be a major component of the nightmare to come.

mekrob wrote:
from CNN.com
The total amount of recoverable oil and gas estimated in the areas currently closed is about 34 billion barrels of oil equivalent, according to the U.S. Interior Department.

But I've heard other estimates on Fox that the reserves are in the upper 80's, which is probably just the OOIP, and thus just spin.

So it will provide between 3 and 8 more years of oil for our SUVs ... then what? Oh, that's right, those 3 to 8 years will give us the time we need to come up with alternative fuels. :roll:

Nothing to worry about, folks ... life as we know it is safe ... no need to change our lifestyles ... Party On!
“Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.” (Ted Perry)
TheTurtle
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion