Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Natural Gas Thread Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Question about Natural Gas "EXtration Losses"

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 15 Nov 2010, 12:39:08

It seems to me, looking at the definition from the EIA, that the gov't considers stripping out the liquids as a "loss" of natural gas.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/TblDefs/ng_p ... bldef2.asp

Extraction Loss The reduction in volume of natural gas due to the removal of natural gas liquid constituents such as ethane, propane, and butane at natural gas processing plants.

The more gas you process the more volume of liquids you're stripping out = all time high.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Frank » Mon 15 Nov 2010, 19:10:48

That seems to be it - good catch, I didn't see the definitions.
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 16 Nov 2010, 10:40:49

Glad to help.
It made me curious, too. Kind of interesting terminology to call valuable liquids removal a loss.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

UK record natural gas usage

Unread postby dukey » Mon 20 Dec 2010, 12:15:08

I am pretty sure this smashes any kind of previous record. I also seem to recall last year they had to shut off gas to businesses in order to keep the gas flowing to house holds.

http://marketinformation.natgrid.co.uk/ ... gView.aspx
dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: UK record natural gas usage

Unread postby scas » Mon 20 Dec 2010, 12:19:40

Hot and cold extremes will see the increased use of fossil fuels to manage the home environment. We'll slam down the accelerator just as we need to jam on the brakes.

On the plus side, the fossil fuel companies will be dancing on the gold piles.
scas
Coal
Coal

Awash In Natural Gas

Unread postby Hughj » Wed 22 Jun 2011, 14:31:06

An excellent article from Yahoo Finance explaining the 15 dollar bubble and subsequent
collapse of natural gas prices. Because of deep gas discoveries as well as liquified natural
gas marketing from abroad, natural gas will remain an affordable commodity for the foreseeable
future.

It's also important to note that CNG and LNG are workable replacements in auto and truck
transportation should crude be priced out of reach.

Hugh

"For all the whining, whimpering, boo-hooing, ululating and pandering political polemics about America's dependence on foreign oil, the solution could be right beneath our feet. America has massive stores of natural gas at its disposal, most of which are unused or considered a nuisance. Natural gas is largely unavailable for consumer use, yet the gasoline alternative already fuels cabs, shuttles, buses and a variety of other vehicles. What the latter camp has that traditional cars don't is that they are centrally serviced and thus capable of being refueled despite a lack of natural gas stations on U.S. roads.
Natural gas is cleaner burning, abundant and an alternative to America's long-standing policy of grovelling at the feet of the Middle East, a region whose one commonality seems to be hating the U.S.
So buy natural gas, right?
Only if you're one of Barnum's suckers born every minute, says Stephen Schork, editor of the Schork Report. Schork says natural gas demand crashed in the wake of the Great Recession and it's not coming back in the foreseeable future. The unloved alternative was trading over $13 per btu (British Thermal Units) until July of 2008. When the global bubble popped, so did the price of natty, falling off a cliff to the neighborhood of $4/btu. That's where the price of natural gas remains today, a flaming deathtrap of "value."
According to Schork, a big part of the drop-off is due to environmentalists falling out of love with natural gas as bridge fuel, sort of a weigh station between crude oil and a world of wind, solar and enormous power plants housing energy-producing hamster wheels. Once the endpoint of greenery was pushed further into the future, the passion for natural gas waned.
This natural gas antipathy means no money for the infrastructure is required to create natural gas stations and other research dollars needed to make the switch. Of course there isn't anywhere to plug in the minuscule number of subsidized electric cars, nor a modernized energy grid that wouldn't brown out the entire Eastern seaboard in the event of millions of American commuters plugging in their cars at once. But that's another column.
For now, let's just stick with Schork's bottom line: "In the case of natural gas, we have too much supply and not enough demand." That spells lower prices for natty from now until long after the world has devolved into a dystopian hell where leather-clad killers in hockey masks spend their lives in pursuit of Mel Gibson and his adorable dog."
Hughj
Peat
Peat

Re: Awash In Natural Gas

Unread postby seahorse3 » Wed 22 Jun 2011, 16:32:53

Well, unfortunately, we aren't smart enough to be using NG for transportation. There's about 15 million cars sold each year and I think less than 200k in the US running on NG. Despite Boone Picken's best lobbying efforts, so far, nada.
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Hughj » Wed 22 Jun 2011, 16:49:31

I was thinking about that this morning. Maybe because he talked primarily about windmills,
and not natural gas. Maybe his next campaign will concentrate on LNG.

Funny story........Pickens was asked by a reporter how many windmills he had on his
80,000 acre Texas ranch. His answer........NONE. Say no more!

Hugh
Hughj
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 22 Jun 2011, 17:01:02

Natural Gas will become obsolete and be replaced with nickel and hydrogen exothermal reactions," with production of copper in Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction units. Coming soon..... :)
vision-master

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 22 Jun 2011, 17:42:26

Hughj wrote:This natural gas antipathy means no money for the infrastructure is required to create natural gas stations and other research dollars needed to make the switch.
How much taxpayer subsidies will be required?

Part of the message of peak oil is that switching will be a lengthy, expensive project, and we are less able to afford it in an environment of economic stagnation due to scarce and expensive oil.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 22 Jun 2011, 18:51:45

He has been trolling quite a lot today, he must be bored i guess :evil:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby peripato » Thu 23 Jun 2011, 03:45:21

vision-master wrote:Natural Gas will become obsolete and be replaced with nickel and hydrogen exothermal reactions," with production of copper in Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction units. Coming soon..... :)

I'm betting on chocolate to save our cars and all that entails! Which is really all it's about for the average cornie...turning the world into one gigantic shopping mall.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby peripato » Thu 23 Jun 2011, 03:46:52

eXpat wrote:He has been trolling quite a lot today, he must be bored i guess :evil:

Different troll? Perhaps...but definitely the same old bullshit.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

natural gas glut drives prices to new lows

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 19:36:20

http://www.investmentu.com/2011/July/na ... ecast.html

no wonder france banned fracking.....
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Re: natural gas glut drives prices to new lows

Unread postby John_A » Fri 01 Jul 2011, 22:10:51

peeker01 wrote:http://www.investmentu.com/2011/July/natural-gas-price-forecast.html

no wonder france banned fracking.....

Horrible article. It implies that the last decades orgy of drill-drill-drill into crappy, nearly impermeable, miles underground and horrible EROEI resources actually worked! Obviously the all time production records and depressed prices these resources are causing is just a desperate attempt to distract from the previously listed faults.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Electricity and natural gas live consumption by country

Unread postby sandu635 » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 06:35:05

I want to make a list of sites that have current electricity and gas consumption

I have :

Romania : electricity
France : electricity
UK: gas
Spain: electricity

Please help if you know others
sandu635
Wood
Wood

Re: Electricity and natural gas live consumption by country

Unread postby sandu635 » Wed 31 Aug 2011, 00:49:26

sandu635