Unread postby Satori » Mon 08 May 2017, 07:20:28

“Every generation needs a new revolution.”

Thomas Jefferson
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Re: The Natives Are Getting Restless

Unread postby Revi » Mon 08 May 2017, 09:15:52

I would say so. I talk to a lot of people who feel that it's time for things to change. That's the reason they elected Trump. They think things will change. They don't seem to understand that we are living in a society powered by fossil fuel, and when we change things that could go away. We borrow every day to keep the present system going. We are living off the kindness of strangers. When they decide that we aren't a good risk things could change...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 08 May 2017, 09:37:59

the debt levels and continuation is just obscuring the true status of our finances and allowing us to continue to splurge today at the expense of tomorrow
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 08 May 2017, 10:54:22

Subjectivist wrote:
This makes me wonder if, once the hot summer season arrives, we will see riots like those that tore up Baltimore and Saint Louis during President Obama's second term this year?

Those anti-police riots were aided and abbetted by the same kind of city leadership we have recently seen exposed in Berkley California, making me wonder just how widespread this instabillity is? No culture can survive long without some form of control over these riot events. Targeting Police is particularly effective in destabilising things if those police do not get government and citizen support as a result.

Jihad comes to America home grown. Unfortunately for those rioting our police forces and military have 20 years experience in the asymmetric urban war fare in the ME.

Not wise to confront the power structure in these early days.

Plant a garden instead.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 08 May 2017, 11:06:35

Just MHO but I think the term "civil war" is being badly applied and is being done so just for dramatic effect. Criminal activities at various locations and times such as the OK federal building bombing or the Watts riots are not isolated battles in a civil war. They are just local aberrations. Perhaps folks should dig into the details of historic civil wars and the ones going on today.

IOW the US ain't f*cking Syria so stop whining, you bunch of girly men. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 08 May 2017, 13:33:12

I lived in a country where a "revolution" was happening and it wasn't pretty. I don't know if we really are ready for that yet. Let things take their course. It's going to get bad soon enough. No need to push it.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 08 May 2017, 13:37:30

Yep real revolutions are not for the faint of heart
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 08 May 2017, 17:21:13

Revi - " I lived in a country where a "revolution" was happening and it wasn't pretty." And I worked in a country once where if TPTB must suspected you were thinking about revolution you could get a bullet in the back of the head. And I'm not talking figuratively... I saw the body laying in the street. Had govt informants working around me pointed out: any local caught talking to an expat about politics were subject to immediately execution. El Presidente changed the constitution to allow it.

That's why it irritates me a tad to hear Americans toss it around so lightly
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Tue 09 May 2017, 09:03:22

I just read a very interesting book where the author says that when resources run short human societies almost always have a "witch hunt". They look for a group to blame it on, whether they have anything to do with it or not. It's always in the name of some kind of an ideology. In Salem they picked on widows who may have been living on farms they wanted. In Guatemala they called the Catholic Indigenous Mayan people "communists" to separate them from the resources that were underneath the land they lived on. It's an old story.

http://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/p ... of-empire/

Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 09 May 2017, 09:41:24

Revi wrote:I just read a very interesting book where the author says that when resources run short human societies almost always have a "witch hunt". They look for a group to blame it on, whether they have anything to do with it or not. It's always in the name of some kind of an ideology. In Salem they picked on widows who may have been living on farms they wanted. In Guatemala they called the Catholic Indigenous Mayan people "communists" to separate them from the resources that were underneath the land they lived on. It's an old story.

It is a primitive but effective response to overshoot. It's hard to stare in the face a truth we can perhaps recognize even in ourselves. In times of overshoot there is an animal part of you inside that gets excited about the cleansing, the rape and violence. There is a terrible desire that arises that overpowers reason and compassion. It works on the group level very powerfully.

Such a dark time may very well be ahead, we carry the seeds within each of us of this violence.

In times when the group is possessed with ethnic and tribal cleansing it takes tremendous integrity as an individual to go against the current. Especially as this advances. It helps if you belong to a non violent sect like the Quakers because that is a form of group consensus that can buffer the madness that can grip the collective.

Can you admit that place inside yourself that wishes this? It really depends on who you are targeting. It might be white obese suburbanites or 3rd world poor brown people. Illegal immigrants or the elite in their golden cages. Everyone has their favorite target they would like to see eliminated before themselves.

The individual loses much of his ability to negotiate in times when this unfolds, he becomes merged into a group mind of incredible violence. The mob mind.

This is one of the best tools in the arsenal of The Overshoot Predator. He works from within the species and society to accelerate the correction of overshoot through self destruction. Kind of like a macro version of the Aids virus, subverting the immune system of altruism and compassion and going for the jugular.

If we as a society do not take effective mitigation to human overshoot this is the default place we are heading.

Selberschuld is a perfect word in german to describe this fate if we collectively do nothing.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Tue 09 May 2017, 10:52:50

Yes, it starts out as "we are going to create a utopia, but it ends in " we have to kill all of them". "Them" is usually some group that is going to be targeted. I see targeting of Latinos lately. They are the ones doing all of the real work in our society, but the people who are running things see them as the problem lately. It's pretty scary.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 09 May 2017, 11:13:16

The internet also unfortunately drives people to the poles. There are many who now propose we split the US up into red vs. blue states because of the left/right polarization reaching such dangerous levels. We've lost the ability to have civil discourse. We don't value pluralism anymore. Everything's an ideogical tug of war where you're either with us or against us. Much of the debate here between certain posters is part and parcel of that phenomenon. I think most people these days are closed-minded in a very tribalist sort of way.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 09 May 2017, 11:50:08

asg70 wrote:The internet also unfortunately drives people to the poles. There are many who now propose we split the US up into red vs. blue states because of the left/right polarization reaching such dangerous levels. We've lost the ability to have civil discourse. We don't value pluralism anymore. Everything's an ideogical tug of war where you're either with us or against us. Much of the debate here between certain posters is part and parcel of that phenomenon. I think most people these days are closed-minded in a very tribalist sort of way.

Yes this is very true. I always have this social barometer I use to measure how much heat there is in society toward splitting apart and it is based on the tone of discourse, the polarity. This has been ramping up and we are seeing populist leaders emerging becoming role models.

This social barometer also measures the opposite. The lack of opposition that stands up and punches back

During Nazi Germany and other similar regimes in history we notice this deep passivity. The passivity of the oppressed. The jews went to the concentration camps with the passivity of cows in the feed stock. The citizens of Germany did not decry what was happening. The blinders go up. Parallel to the mob violence is the castrated passivity of any meaningful resistance. This passivity in the culture is something else to watch for, to measure with your social barometer, how deeply the apathy goes. This has also been increasing. We do not have any meaningful opposition with spine to the slow degradation of our biosphere and the ramping up of xeno-phobia.

The Zeitgeist is ripening toward a huge correction.

Think of where the heat lies. With those encouraging division or those that want unity. Which of these two sides currently has more heat and passion?
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 09 May 2017, 12:19:12

Mad Max and The Overshoot Predator showed up at my door last Halloween. They didn't say "trick or treat" when I opened the door but instead just grabbed all the candy and ran off into the night. I watched them disappear into the darkness while the Grim Reaper and his two kids, Spiderman and Cinderella took down all the toilet paper in my trees and rolled it up and made off with that. A guy dressed up as Alex Jones came next, he hollered and ranted, then composed himself and apologized for getting too emotional. I told him I was all out of candy, he said he just wanted money anyhow so I gave him a couple of bucks and I watched him whizz in my bushes before he ambled off down the street. The next morning, my neighbor told me he saw an alien with led lights all over his costume steal crap from inside of my car. I am powering down this year and putting out some beware of dog signs.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 09 May 2017, 12:22:56

efarmer wrote:Mad Max and The Overshoot Predator showed up at my door last Halloween. They didn't say "trick or treat" when I opened the door but instead just grabbed all the candy and ran off into the night. I watched them disappear into the darkness while the Grim Reaper and his two kids, Spiderman and Cinderella took down all the toilet paper in my trees and rolled it up and made off with that. A guy dressed up as Alex Jones came next, he hollered and ranted, then composed himself and apologized for getting too emotional. I told him I was all out of candy, he said he just wanted money anyhow so I gave him a couple of bucks and I watched him whizz in my bushes before he ambled off down the street. The next morning, my neighbor told me he saw an alien with led lights all over his costume steal crap from inside of my car. I am powering down this year and putting out some beware of dog signs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Revi » Tue 09 May 2017, 12:34:24

asg70 wrote:The internet also unfortunately drives people to the poles. There are many who now propose we split the US up into red vs. blue states because of the left/right polarization reaching such dangerous levels. We've lost the ability to have civil discourse. We don't value pluralism anymore. Everything's an ideogical tug of war where you're either with us or against us. Much of the debate here between certain posters is part and parcel of that phenomenon. I think most people these days are closed-minded in a very tribalist sort of way.

I agree. We live in our own worlds, and we consider the other side to be victims of "fake news". I think that my side has reality because we believe in science, whereas their side "has God on their side".
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 09 May 2017, 19:48:27

I guess the "natives" I'm worried about are investment bankers and reinsurance executives.

When they start to bail in sufficient numbers our days are numbered.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Wed 10 May 2017, 13:27:58

Let me know when they bail Newfie. It might be time to get in a boat and get offshore!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 10 May 2017, 14:07:32

Hey, in a way they are already bailing. Haven't you heard that the the rich and powerful are already setting up their luxurious bugouts and bunkers
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance